• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My last A-2 (hopefully) - Good Wear

mulceber

Which pic do you think represents the colour best.
Good question! I'd say this one, taken in slightly overcast weather, best represents the color of the jacket:
89081cfc-ec39-4cf0-8ec0-f3ff7f16153b-jpeg.77837

Mr. Mike

Well, after a year of waiting (and one or two other jackets along the way o_O), on Wednesday John told me he'd finished the Monarch and was shipping it out. I expected I might have it by early next week, but yesterday I got the notification that the package had been delivered. It was Natalie’s lunch break and she very kindly stopped home and put it inside the door — I’m not normally worried about mail thieves, but I make exceptions for 4-figure packages that I waited over a year for. o_O Here it is in good sunlight.
View attachment 77727
And I love it! I had initially planned on Italian Horsehide, but at John’s suggestion I went for Horween, as he said he thinks it’s more accurate to vintage horsehide. I don’t regret the decision — I don’t know if John chose a particularly thin batch of Horween, but the leather on this jacket is thinner and suppler than other repros I’ve owned, very much like the original Monarch I have. Speaking of which, since, I’m in the unusual (but far from unique) position of having both a repro and an original of the same contract, I thought I’d do some head-to-head comparison shots:
View attachment 77728
View attachment 77729
View attachment 77730
View attachment 77731
The repro is certainly a redder russet than the original, but it’s comparable to this jacket from John’s CD:
collar.jpg

In ordinary lighting it appears as an ordinary dark russet, but it really comes alive in direct sunlight. The finish is a glossy one, but John told me it would become more dull as I wear it.
View attachment 77732
The pocket flaps are a bit different, but I’ve looked at a lot of originals and Monarch pocket flaps are all over the place - pretty much the only common denominator is “big pocket flaps with gentle scalloping.” The pocket flaps on my original are cool, but John’s actually look more typical of the Monarch contract. They're particularly close to Chuck's Monarch, in the bottom left of the next picture, imo.
View attachment 77733
Original blackened Talon M-39 zipper. This one isn’t a repro, or even New Old Stock — it was recycled from original WW2 gear (Navy flying trousers, I believe) that had given up the ghost. The blackened Talon M-39 is a detail only Good Wear gets right.
View attachment 77734
Congrats Jan! That is another 100%er made for you. Thanks for sharing the detailed review in comparison with your original - it underpins again the perfection with which JC works out these treasures.

B-Man2

Well, Im now onto the Knopf 18246 and Doniger.
I think the choice will ultimately depend on the leather samples....
Brett
I don’t know if this one would work for you but the price is certainly right.

Brettafett

Thanks Burt, I saw that and have taken notes.
Those measurements are a bit 'strange'... 16.5 shoulders? Even if he's a bit out, thats narrow. Its also a touch short.
Edit: No offence intended if seller is on the forum.

I recon, if this is my last top-end A-2 (famous last words), Im going to give John the perfect measurements.

Chandler

I recon, if this is my last top-end A-2 (famous last words), Im going to give John the perfect measurements.
I have early plans in this direction too, but I also need to find someone looking for a "used" GW in order to finance my "white whale."

I'm close to putting my early GW on the block, but I want to get a couple fit pics to show the true size.

I know I've been hinting at this one for a while, but stay tuned folks, too much else cropping up in real life issues these days.

mulceber

I have early plans in this direction too, but I also need to find someone looking for a "used" GW in order to finance my "white whale."

I'm close to putting my early GW on the block, but I want to get a couple fit pics to show the true size.

I know I've been hinting at this one for a while, but stay tuned folks, too much else cropping up in real life issues these days.

Out of curiosity, what contract is it?

Chandler

Out of curiosity, what contract is it?
It doesn't have a directly labeled contract, but it's a copy of a Cable 27753. One of JC's first stabs at an A-2. A true "vintage" GW. :)

Although, it's labeled a 46 and probably fits between a 44 and 46 -- with long arms, so probably out of your preferred size.