• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My last A-2 (hopefully) - Good Wear

Mr. Mike

Mr Mike, as a humble opinion, I dont think GW is the pinnacle or jacket of Nirvana. I think any high end jacket (or any jacket really) that fits well, is made well and ticks your boxes, will fit the bill.

I have owned four GWs, and as well-made, acutely detailed and amazing as they were, I no longer own any of them. For a reason. Some guys are lucky, I guess I was not.
Doesn't detract from the jacket.

I am lucky enough (or should I say persistent enough) to have a Holy Grail jacket, in fact I have 3! Well, almost 3 ;)
My BK RW 23380 is as perfect in every way as I could ever hope for (OK, it has a Talon zipper, not a Crown, but that's ok by me. It was offered, but its just not a big deal for me).
MY seal BK Dubow 27798 is 95% perfect and my Platon Dubow is 95% perfect (and that's me being pedantic).

I certainly no longer need to hunt for another grail jacket, but its fun. I do have a hankering for a russet A-2, and my GW may be that jacket.
(my ELC Monarch is an insane looking jacket, but Im just not 100% happy with the fit... I cant put it on without it bugging me. Im trying)

Its taken me decades and soooooo many jackets to get here. And god knows how much money Ive spent along the way.

What I would like to offer, is if you do like the look of a GW, put in a deposit and get in the queue now.
If in a year or twos time, you change your mind, Im sure John will return that to you. So, you have nothing to lose.
However, if you get the GW itch in a year or twos time, then who knows how long the queue will be or if prices have gone up etc...
Thanks a lot for your detailed insights Brettafett! Reasonable advice to queue in for John as waiting times there are even more unpredictable. As you have both 27798 Dubows (BK and Platon): is there a substantial difference between them or in other words, which of them do your prefer best?

Brettafett

They are Both the same jacket, same pattern, same hardware and same detailing.
The leather is different.
No way I can say one is better or less better than the other. Both stand up too and alongside any GW (or ELC) Ive owned.
[detailing aside. Both GW and BK offer NOS zippers and other bits, dependant on customers requirements]
Platon's is cheaper, which is why I still contend, this is THE best high end A-2 on the market today (but no customisations at all, so if the regular works, you win)

The BK is the seal Liberty, which I absolutely love. This feels a touch lighter than the Italian leather on Platon's - but I really mean minimal difference. Its also a shade lighter, exactly like many WWiI jackets I seen in person, albeit far from properly broken in.
Id have preferred the mid brown knits, as it is I opted for the WW2 brown knit, which is a shade darker (more like seal?) still perfectly authentic and fine.
This jacket would be 100%, but for the fact that I'd have preferred another 0.25" to 0.5" to the sleeves and that mid brown knit combo - silly, yes.
(in fact this jacket with the WWII brown knit resembles many WWII Dubows Ive seen pics of, albeit likely with replaced knit - That 9th Airforce book by Pons for example)

The Platon Dubow is a gem. The leather is incredible, its a lot like an original A-2 I owned a while back... This jacket is very special. It has added length, which I was able to squeeze out of Platon right in the beginning when he launched. Shame this is no longer possible, or Id have ordered a russet ages ago.
This jacket fits/ feels ever so slightly larger than the BK, but not very noticeably. The dims are almost identical. It also feels ever so slightly thicker & heavier than BK's Liberty. But Im scrutinizing.
This has the more authentic-to-contract dull purple brown knits and olive drab thread.

If I had to grab one out the door, to race into battle with my P-47... Id close my eyes and reach for them both. Wear one, put the other on my lap ;)

Edit: If Platon's Dubows' off-the-rack size fit, and you got a seal and a russet, you'd end your A-2 grail search right there and save $$$ £££

Mr. Mike

They are Both the same jacket, same pattern, same hardware and same detailing.
The leather is different.
No way I can say one is better or less better than the other. Both stand up too and alongside any GW (or ELC) Ive owned.
[detailing aside. Both GW and BK offer NOS zippers and other bits, dependant on customers requirements]
Platon's is cheaper, which is why I still contend, this is THE best high end A-2 on the market today (but no customisations at all, so if the regular works, you win)

The BK is the seal Liberty, which I absolutely love. This feels a touch lighter than the Italian leather on Platon's - but I really mean minimal difference. Its also a shade lighter, exactly like many WWiI jackets I seen in person, albeit far from properly broken in.
Id have preferred the mid brown knits, as it is I opted for the WW2 brown knit, which is a shade darker (more like seal?) still perfectly authentic and fine.
This jacket would be 100%, but for the fact that I'd have preferred another 0.25" to 0.5" to the sleeves and that mid brown knit combo - silly, yes.
(in fact this jacket with the WWII brown knit resembles many WWII Dubows Ive seen pics of, albeit likely with replaced knit - That 9th Airforce book by Pons for example)

The Platon Dubow is a gem. The leather is incredible, its a lot like an original A-2 I owned a while back... This jacket is very special. It has added length, which I was able to squeeze out of Platon right in the beginning when he launched. Shame this is no longer possible, or Id have ordered a russet ages ago.
This jacket fits/ feels ever so slightly larger than the BK, but not very noticeably. The dims are almost identical. It also feels ever so slightly thicker & heavier than BK's Liberty. But Im scrutinizing.
This has the more authentic-to-contract dull purple brown knits and olive drab thread.

If I had to grab one out the door, to race into battle with my P-47... Id close my eyes and reach for them both. Wear one, put the other on my lap ;)

Edit: If Platon's Dubows' off-the-rack size fit, and you got a seal and a russet, you'd end your A-2 grail search right there and save $$$ £££
Thanks a ton Brettafett - that really helps tremendously! When my queue comes to a delivery I will provide a review for them for sure.

Kermit3D

With so many folks still on search for the perfect fit A-2 we probably should come together sometime to mutually test our prey and see who is currently in possession of the holy grail perfectly fitting another. I am still on search for the right one myself as I still not have encountered the right fit. Disregarding whether taking 42 at the lower end or 44 at the higher end - still most of the examples I owned appeared too bulky or blousy (backside in particular). Still in the queue for a BK Star Sportswear and one of Platon's Dubows, so let's see if one of them will make a point. Waiting times (COVID back and forth or not) are simply horrifying and seem to outpace each other in the meantime.

GW I need to keep as the silver Bullitt making me awestruck - because if this would fail, realization not being an A-2 man would tear me apart ;o). So in continued search for the perfect sample I shy away from spoiling my expectation of GW as the perfect nirvana too early - there still needs to be hope :eek:).

Wouldn't it be possible to create a thread dedicated to the size of the A-2 jackets ?

Many of us own several A-2s. Some fit better than others.
Everyone chooses their own A-2 that has the best fit, and everyone posts their measurements (chest/arm length/height/...) + the dimensions of the preferred A-2 (shoulder to shoulder/arm length/back length/...) + a fit pic.

I think this would be very useful to compare different sizes of different brands and to choose a good size.

an example (details to be refined):

-----------------------------
Kermit3D

Measurements :

Height : xx
shoulder to shoulder : xx
chest size : xx
length of the arms : xx

A2 Jacket Specifications :

Brand: xx
Size: xx
Shoulder to shoulder dimensions: xx
Pit to pit dimensions: xx
Back height: xx

A fit pic

Mr. Mike

Perhaps all this GW-goodness will take some pressure of BK and Platon, and they can catch up with some orders....
Rather keep fingers crossed that this group is the only one ordering with John as we otherwise will extend the waiting period until we retire ;) :cool:

B-Man2

Ohh Damn …. I should not go here, but Im about to step into the mouth of the dragon . So since this is an opinion poll , here’s mine .
I know this is blasphemy but, I think the “perfect fit” is a dream . It doesn’t exist . It never existed . We see photos of WWII guys wearing an A2 jacket on a specific day , wearing who knows what under it . In most cases it was an undershirt , long Johns , long sleeve wool shirt , a tie and a sweater if it was winter, and we say “ wow now there’s a perfect fitting A2 “ BUT …. Take that same guy and take a photo of him on a spring day with just a shirt under the jacket and it looks a size too big on him . Or reverse the scenario .Look at a photo of a guy on a spring day with an A2 with just a t-shirt on and we say “wow another perfect fitting A2 . Then see the same guy in December with all of the winter clothing under it and the jacket looks small and tight on him . Believe me , I’ve spent thousands on jackets believing that the perfect fit was just the next jacket away , I’ve bought a shit load of jackets and I can say that the jacket that was the perfect fit for me on any given day , was not the perfect fit for me on other days . I’m trying to save you guys a lot of time, stress and money….. seriously . So here’s what I’ve learned . Have one nice fitting ….. NOT Perfect fitting but acceptable fitting larger A2 for winter that works with everything you like to wear under it . And one smaller fitting A2 for anything other than winter that works with a T-shirt . That’s as close as I’ve been able to come to the perfect fitting A2. I’ve also learned that the “ Perfect Fit” is highly overrated, because if you buy a jacket that is close to your size or slightly larger, at some point two things will most certainly happen . Over time either the jacket will shrink down to your size …… or you will grow into the jacket ! So good luck in your quests for the “Perfect Fit “ I wish you all the best , just have lots of patience and money ready . My suggestion is forget the Perfect Fit and go for the Wartime Fit which is all over the place and much easier to attain and be happy with ;)

Last edited:

Greg Gale

Congrats @Smithy !

What is it that made you pick the Poughkieepsie in the first place? I see now you're torn between the Aero and the 27752. I haven't owned an Aero, but it seems to me that they're cut a touch wider and shorter than, say a 27752 or a Star. I may be completely wrong though, but that's what I deducted from pictures I've seen. Also, both Brett and I have a rather 'slim & slightly athletic' body type and the 27752 fits both of us nicely. As far as I recall you're the same type, only taller?

Also, the Aero would have to be russet, and the 27752 would have to be seal, right? So that's also a factor.

mulceber

I haven't owned an Aero, but it seems to me that they're cut a touch wider and shorter than, say a 27752 or a Star.

That would actually be difficult in the case of the Star. From what I’m told, they were quite short, very much designed for an era when the average man was 5’8” (1.72m). I think Eastman builds extra length into their Star pattern. But yeah, I recall hearing Aeros were on the shorter side too.

Smithy

Congrats @Smithy !

What is it that made you pick the Poughkieepsie in the first place? I see now you're torn between the Aero and the 27752. I haven't owned an Aero, but it seems to me that they're cut a touch wider and shorter than, say a 27752 or a Star. I may be completely wrong though, but that's what I deducted from pictures I've seen. Also, both Brett and I have a rather 'slim & slightly athletic' body type and the 27752 fits both of us nicely. As far as I recall you're the same type, only taller?

Also, the Aero would have to be russet, and the 27752 would have to be seal, right? So that's also a factor.

Thanks Greg!

It's actually looking more and more like the 27752 or at least for now. Like you say it's probably a very good fit for my body shape and the more I think about it the more I want seal with OD thread and the redder lining rather than the mustard. I like the RW collar shape too so if John asked me today, it'd be a 27752.

If it ends up being a 27752 by GW then it really will feel like I've gone the full circle and ended up back where I started.

Lord Flashheart

That would actually be difficult in the case of the Star. From what I’m told, they were quite short, very much designed for an era when the average man was 5’8” (1.72m). I think Eastman builds extra length into their Star pattern. But yeah, I recall hearing Aeros were on the shorter side too.
Agree with you on that Jan. My ELC Star certainly has a longer back than my ELC RW 27752 and my GW RW23380 which is probably my shortest A-2.

Brettafett

Its been a couple of weeks since I wore and A-2 (or any jacket for that matter). UK has had a decent heat wave.
Anyway, tried on the jackets this morning and will add (randomly) that I have updated my BK Dubow to 98% perfect fit lol
I only ever wear T-shirts, shirts and occasionally a light sweater under an A-2, so my fit preferences are based on that. I got through this last winter with that.
If I do need more, then I move onto the B-10 and B-15s