• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My last A-2 (hopefully) - Good Wear

B-Man2

View attachment 84718View attachment 84719This is my ELC B6 I purchased back in the mid 90s. I still own it and its soft and comfortable as can be. I have also had ELC jackets tat were a much stiffer type sheepskin than this one. This jacket has the buckles and straps on the sides instead of zippers like the newer models. I believe Charles from HPA told me Gary stopped the buckle and straps in 97 or 98 on B6s. I guess different years and different tannery options affect on all our jackets and choices...just figured I would share.
Great looking jacket Rob !
I thought I was looking at an original.

Tattoo A2

Wow. I have the same one from 2014 and it has absolutely zero colour loss or wear on the sheepskin. I wear it hard too. They must have changed something in the hides.
I have a second hand one from around that time and the sheepskin has a totally different feel and wear ratio than my older one in the photos.

Sideslip

Up to no good again and pulled this off the Lounge. GW ‘33 Werber. I know this one’s passed hands a few times. View attachment 85769
That is beautiful! The Werber is still my preference for when my turn comes up. I did not know that John made a ‘33 Werber. Is that one in russet horween HH? It fits you great and … if you are a similar size to John as am I and should you ever wish to part with it … I will have a look at the A2 book to study the «’33 Werber.

Nickb123

That is beautiful! The Werber is still my preference for when my turn comes up. I did not know that John made a ‘33 Werber. Is that one in russet horween HH? It fits you great and … if you are a similar size to John as am I and should you ever wish to part with it … I will have a look at the A2 book to study the «’33 Werber.

Thank you mate.

It’s his Italian - same tannery as Aero’s Vicenza I believe. I’ll do a write up comparing it to the Horween.

Mr. Mike

Thank you mate.

It’s his Italian - same tannery as Aero’s Vicenza I believe. I’ll do a write up comparing it to the Horween.
Excellent idea Nick! Perhaps we should/could right away stick our heads together and extend the review with Shinki HH version I got from John:

1667808664453.png

ES335

Sorry Kermit, I think it was you asking for images of the Horween leather on my Poughkeepsie, or of atleast images of the grain so here are a couple that I hope will be of use…I have finally started to get some wear into the jacket and I have to say it is a super comfy pattern to wear and the Horween is a nice soft leather from the get go
Hopefully the pics will also do Johns new thread justice View attachment 84714View attachment 84715
I love that color contrast!

Brettafett

Any updates from the GW gallery..?

I have ;) I received a nicely presented sample package from John (yes, you pay for it, but its worth it)
Makes a big difference seeing the hides, thread and knit and combining them up. Definitely helps in the decision making process.
I was sold on a Doniger, but now Im back to a HH A-2, Knopf, Bronco, Dubow???

mulceber

So, just to clarify, you're no longer sold on Doniger, or you're getting the Doniger and something else?

Either way, of those, I vote Knopf. It's a nice design, it's something you don't see very often, and you have more Dubows than you can shake a stick at. ;)

Brettafett

No, times being what they are, one jacket.
Knopf is leading the pack. Yes, I do like that its unusual.

My first GW was a Knopf back in 2008. I recall that it was really comfortable and I like the collar. The sleeves were too short, or Id still have that today.

I want a sensible, wearable A-2. One that is comfortable to wear. I love my Dubows, but as you say... I have two.
Until the actual order goes through, things can still change...

Smithy

I want a sensible, wearable A-2. One that is comfortable to wear.

That's why I'm going for the Poughkeepsie Brett. Nice sharp profile but apparently very comfortable to wear as well. John reckons they've got good room in the shoulders and upper arms which suits me as I weight train so there's no way I want a contract which is tight in the upper body. I like the collar and pocket flap shapes to boot so that's what I'm going for.

This is just my personal opinion but I think the best things to do when choosing an A-2 is to pick a contract that will suit your body shape and how you want it to be worn. I reckon this is the biggest thing, once you've identified contracts that will work with your frame and the fit you want, then you can dial down to the details. But that first biggie is working out what contracts will work best for your body and how you want the jacket to fit.