• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My last A-2 (hopefully) - Good Wear

Smithy

Sir Edmund didn't wear sheepskin going up Everest. He wore down filled nylon jacket. Cutting edge of technology then and still the lightest weight warmest option.

Exactly!

I still love how down has never been surpassed for insulation quality and never by synthetics. I have a fancy pants Canada Goose parka which I use in seriously cold temps, it's got all the whistles and bells, is wind proof and water proof, and yet it's still insulated with down feathers.

entertainment

They're warm but if we're completely honest they're utterly hopeless in terms of functionality compared to other things. If they get wet they weigh a ton, even more than when dry and they take an age to dry out.

I live 200 miles inside the Arctic Circle. We have a cabin up in the mountains (over 430 metres above sea level) so it gets cold, seriously cold. I would NEVER pick wearing a sheepskin flying jacket over a parka up there. From WWII, a German winter parka with Reizwolle is a far better pick than a shearling flight jacket.

There's a romance about shearling flight jackets obviously but if we're brutally honest they are actually more than a bit shit compared to other options.

Sir Edmund didn't wear sheepskin going up Everest. He wore down filled nylon jacket. Cutting edge of technology then and still the lightest weight warmest option.

If I start living north of the Arctic Circle or climb Everest, I will keep this advice in mind.

Spitfireace

Exactly!

I still love how down has never been surpassed for insulation quality and never by synthetics. I have a fancy pants Canada Goose parka which I use in seriously cold temps, it's got all the whistles and bells, is wind proof and water proof, and yet it's still insulated with down feathers.
Yes, it is odd how synthetics have not been able to quite achieve downs warmth. I do live in Canada, but in Vancouver, so we don't really need a Canada Goose jacket. I think they are a bit overpriced. Also the coyote fur on the hood is being considered cruel to coyotes. Under most circumstances I wouldn't need one. It's a fashion statement mostly when I see kids wearing one on the street.

Smithy

Yes, it is odd how synthetics have not been able to quite achieve downs warmth. I do live in Canada, but in Vancouver, so we don't really need a Canada Goose jacket. I think they are a bit overpriced. Also the coyote fur on the hood is being considered cruel to coyotes. Under most circumstances I wouldn't need one. It's a fashion statement mostly when I see kids wearing one on the street.

Sadly over recent years they have become "trendy" with people wearing them in environments and areas where there is absolutely no need for them. Poncing around a temperate urban setting in a CG is just silly and really only for some absurd posing purpose.

However when worn in the environments and temperature conditions for which they were actually designed to be used, they are superb pieces of kit. The are engineered beautifully too with tons of brilliantly thought out little bits and details, pocket fastenings, arrangement and closures designed to be used whilst wearing heavy insulated mittens or gloves, the double handwarmers depending on ambient temperature, wire hood to adjust against wind, etc. One other thing which a lot of people don't know - they come with a lifetime warranty, something very few outerwear bits of clobber have.

At the end of the day they are designed to be used in environments where there is the danger of frostbite, hypothermia, and even death. They really aren't fashion statements, in truth they're a piece of extreme cold environment survival kit.

Pa12

When I started with a new airline in 1987 we were all issued with Canada goose parkas. The good old days when the companies didn’t mind investing in their employees. There were 30 of us at the time. Nice parkas. I think I got 4 or 5 years out of mine. Working on airplanes eventually shredded them and we’d be leaving trails of feathers everywhere. The replacements were gortex and an outer shell that was more like canvas. To be honest I preferred these. They were longer, heavier and very hard to rip. I found them to be warmer as well. Also, they were purpose built for us with a radio pocket, pouch for id etc. Average winter temp here is -15 to -5 , but in January we’ll get into the minus 20’s. And damp. I still have a couple. One brand new and the other stained and soaked in oil, hydraulic fluid and jet fuel.

B-Man2

When I started with a new airline in 1987 we were all issued with Canada goose parkas. The good old days when the companies didn’t mind investing in their employees. There were 30 of us at the time. Nice parkas. I think I got 4 or 5 years out of mine. Working on airplanes eventually shredded them and we’d be leaving trails of feathers everywhere. The replacements were gortex and an outer shell that was more like canvas. To be honest I preferred these. They were longer, heavier and very hard to rip. I found them to be warmer as well. Also, they were purpose built for us with a radio pocket, pouch for id etc. Average winter temp here is -15 to -5 , but in January we’ll get into the minus 20’s. And damp. I still have a couple. One brand new and the other stained and soaked in oil, hydraulic fluid and jet fuel.
Pictures of one would be really welcome .:)

Pa12

I especially like the wind flap to keep your ass warm. Had a detachable hood which I never used.The second one is an intermediate jacket we started getting in my last year. Very nice jacket down to about-5.
51E81CFB-13F8-4FFE-A46D-E95FA5309CE5.jpeg
3272BB62-65A7-43C2-9E6C-76DBBB691E03.jpeg
1CA2EFAD-39D6-455E-B258-6427F36A08B0.jpeg

entertainment

Back to the topic, at least sort of: my one problem with a B-6 is the lack of a wind flap. If one is heading into the wind, cold air just jets through the zipper. My shearling USN jackets have a wind flap that keeps me much warmer. On the other hand, I like the appearance of the B-6 much more.

B-Man2

John
Sorry … my apologies .
Have you tried one of these Bronson vests under a B-6 ? Occasionally I’ll wear one under an A2 that’s a little large on me and they really do keep out the wind and insulate your core .
This one .
43A22938-E257-4D44-B91E-28F0AB3D1956.png

Last edited:

Lord Flashheart

Exactly!

Feathers to keep you warm? Those dinosaurs knew they were on to a good thing didn't they :)

entertainment

For comparison: M-445B, B-6, B-3, and M-444A
I don't know anything about the particular shearlings. They were all test jackets, so I had no choice. But JC should be able to identify them. I think they are all Made in USA, but I could be wrong. Please don't tell me if they aren't.

IMG_7214.JPG

BTW, I don't disagree with anything that was said. If I went on a backpacking trip, I would take down. But for cold dry conditions, shearling is very comfortable. I have worn one of the USN shearlings with just a t-shirt in sub-freezing temps and been quite toasty.

Pa12

Back to the topic, at least sort of: my one problem with a B-6 is the lack of a wind flap. If one is heading into the wind, cold air just jets through the zipper. My shearling USN jackets have a wind flap that keeps me much warmer. On the other hand, I like the appearance of the B-6 much
For comparison: M-445B, B-6, B-3, and M-444A
I don't know anything about the particular shearlings. They were all test jackets, so I had no choice. But JC should be able to identify them. I think they are all Made in USA, but I could be wrong. Please don't tell me if they aren't.

View attachment 84425

BTW, I don't disagree with anything that was said. If I went on a backpacking trip, I would take down. But for cold dry conditions, shearling is very comfortable. I have worn one of the USN shearlings with just a t-shirt in sub-freezing temps and been quite toasty.
And excellent at wicking away sweat. Commercial aircraft use sheepskin on the crew seats for this reason.

blackrat2

Sorry Kermit, I think it was you asking for images of the Horween leather on my Poughkeepsie, or of atleast images of the grain so here are a couple that I hope will be of use…I have finally started to get some wear into the jacket and I have to say it is a super comfy pattern to wear and the Horween is a nice soft leather from the get go
Hopefully the pics will also do Johns new thread justice
AFE7B1AC-50FA-429E-A0AF-A0A7D78DF8A7.jpeg
28CA781A-51E4-46EB-979C-5D3A603E712B.jpeg

Tattoo A2

DSCF9828.JPG
DSCF9829.JPG
This is my ELC B6 I purchased back in the mid 90s. I still own it and its soft and comfortable as can be. I have also had ELC jackets tat were a much stiffer type sheepskin than this one. This jacket has the buckles and straps on the sides instead of zippers like the newer models. I believe Charles from HPA told me Gary stopped the buckle and straps in 97 or 98 on B6s. I guess different years and different tannery options affect on all our jackets and choices...just figured I would share.