• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My last A-2 (hopefully) - Good Wear

mulceber

My current list of considered options encompass either: Monarch/Seal; Aero/Seal; RW 1401-P/Russet (which is probably the most desirable GW but I unfortunately already hold that model from ELC). Generally I find the russet finish provides more character, however, if it comes to combat clones I feel like they could come out more complex and profound in seal. Happy to get your view as well.

My vote would be get the 1401-p, in this hide: https://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sale_rw23380_0001.html

A 1401-p in that cowhide is on my bucket list.

(Can you tell I’ve been ogling GW RW’s lately?)

Maybe sell the Eastman? Masters of the Air is coming out soon, so that should drive up the price, between increasing demand and ELC’s predictable price hike.

Finally - did anyone of you ever set sails on a Combat Clone from John and can share his/her experience?

Yes and no: I’ve asked for combat cloning on the stitching in order to create the effect of an original fresh out of the box, but never tried full on combat clone aging. I don’t have any objections to it; many of us have too big a collection and aren’t active enough to realistically give these jackets the kind of wear that would really make them look like originals. Nothing wrong with creating that effect.

Last edited:

Pa12

I’m sure you remember the pictures I posted of my elc 1401. 6 years old with massive colour loss. And on this side of the pond it would cost as much as a gw anyway. Possibly more , with duty etc.

Mr. Mike

My vote would be get the 1401-p, in this hide: https://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sale_rw23380_0001.html

Maybe sell the Eastman? Masters of the Air is coming out soon, so that should drive up the price, between increasing demand and ELC’s predictable price hike.

Yes and no: I’ve asked for combat cloning on the stitching in order to create the effect of an original fresh out of the box, but never tried full on combat clone aging. I don’t have any objections to it; many of us have too big a collection and aren’t active enough to realistically give these jackets the kind of wear that would really make them look like originals. Nothing wrong with creating that effect.
Hey Jan!
yeah that is a good choice and without the ELC on board I would probably already have placed the order. The ELC RW 1401-P is the 23rd FtrGrp Elite version I acquired purely as collectible (patched jackets are difficult to wear in my area). This model recently had an insane price increase. While in fact actually new I recognize that such treasures are very very hard to sell for a reasonable price. I hope that Masters of the Air will pave that path a bit. Probably I will put it on store to see how it resonates
(& to all: in case you have been on a long-term search for this model don't hesitate to PM me, it is a 44R size).

cheers

M

Wz1999

That cowhide is amazing! Saw it in person when I visited JC at his workshop a couple days ago.

Nickb123

I’m still fixated by this thing!

168CBF17-2323-45CB-AC0D-754020B3AED2.jpeg

blackrat2

Mr Mike I did the semi combat clone on my Aero..as in wonky stitching , off placed pocket and couple of other features, as for artificial ageing I prefer to wear it and wait for it to happen
Any of johns leathers are sterling and it would be worth asking him what leather he’d use for what contract…not sure if that helps you or not

Mr. Mike

Mr Mike I did the semi combat clone on my Aero..as in wonky stitching , off placed pocket and couple of other features, as for artificial ageing I prefer to wear it and wait for it to happen
Any of johns leathers are sterling and it would be worth asking him what leather he’d use for what contract…not sure if that helps you or not
Thanks blackrat2! I recall that you recently posted about it and yours was stunning already half way through (without artificial aging)!

Kermit3D

Personally I am still waiting for news about the B-6 I ordered from John on April 20, 2021.
I guess everything is normal ;).

blackrat2

For sure I had a cowhide A2 from
John sometime ago and the leather was really nice, knowing John he will probably have improved on “it”…gotta say if ya get a good bit of Shinki or his incredible Horween you won’t be disappointed
The only thing I haven’t handled is johns goat but recent posts from Jan kinda look like he has that dialled also

Brettafett

Well, its almost inevitable. You have a 'grail' seal A-2, now you need a russet, no?
Although another seal, different contract would not hurt either.
Drop a deposit and then put money aside for almost 2 years and hey presto, a top-of-the-line A-2 is yours!
So... Kermit's top contenders?

mulceber

Beat me to the punch, Brett. What contracts are you considering, Kermit? And congrats! I've no doubt that you'll love the jacket you get. And since you're the same size as Brett, sizing will be a slam dunk! :D

Kermit3D

Well... I have to learn first.
I don't know much about the different A-2 contracts.

Indeed the idea is to get something different than my BK Dubow which I love.
I know that the Dubow is quite particular, mainly because of the shape of its collar.
The Rough Wear contracts seem to be the rage. And from what I understand, the collar is radically different from the Dubow, so it could be a good alternative for something different.

I'm tall and thin... I kind of like the way James Stewart wears his Rough Wear. I don't want a jacket that's too small but I don't really like very roomy "big jackets".
But I'm willing to learn and I'm actually open to any contract.

Beyond the choice of the contract, what is very important to me is the choice of the leather. I am watching clips from "Fighter Squadron", the 1948 movie. We can reasonably consider that the A-2s seen in this movie are all originals, right?
I'm really struck by the drape, thinness and suppleness of the leather. Their jackets move over the body like silk shirts and I think it's great! That's what I'd like to get.