• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My last A-2 (hopefully) - Good Wear

KeepmflyinTX

So, anyone got any updates to report? :) New jacket plans, stuff like that?

Like many of you, I am also on the list for a GW A-2 jacket. I took the plunge in February and contacted John to place the order. My choice was a RW 27752 in seal but other contracts are beginning to sway my decision. RW 1401-P, 1939 Werber, Dubow 20960 or a Doniger in goatskin. I told myself to chose wisely since I would only be buying one jacket but I'm not sure if that is possible. I'm torn between choosing a contract I like vs trying to find a contract that fits my 6'2" 218 LB body. My ELC Monarch is a size 48 and it is okay but the comfort of the G-1 jacket design has probably spoiled me forever. Hope everyone is doing well !

KeepmflyinTX

My vote would be the 27752 - seal is the more versatile color, Rough Wear is the quintessential A-2 manufacturer, and John is the undisputed king of Rough Wears.
I definitely like my roughwear from John over the elc one I had.

They always say to go with your first choice. I thought seal would be a good color pick since my other A-2 is a russet brown color. Then the temptations started LOL. Thanks guys for the feedback on John's RW jackets. I will stay with the RW 27752 in seal. It's not like I'm going to be wearing it anytime soon. The temperature right now in Texas is 108 F / 42 C with the heat index. Looks like it is going to be a long hot summer.

Pa12

Jon’s time spent on that ginormous rw collar was time well spent. My elc rw collar annoyed the shit of me. Although the jacket was good dimensionally, it always looked a bit baggy. Johns collar is every bit as big I think, but it doesn’t look like it when wearing it. And it stays out of my way and doesn’t rip out clumps of beard hair every time I turn my head.

Mr. Mike

Like many of you, I am also on the list for a GW A-2 jacket. I took the plunge in February and contacted John to place the order. My choice was a RW 27752 in seal but other contracts are beginning to sway my decision. RW 1401-P, 1939 Werber, Dubow 20960 or a Doniger in goatskin. I told myself to chose wisely since I would only be buying one jacket but I'm not sure if that is possible. I'm torn between choosing a contract I like vs trying to find a contract that fits my 6'2" 218 LB body. My ELC Monarch is a size 48 and it is okay but the comfort of the G-1 jacket design has probably spoiled me forever. Hope everyone is doing well !
All great choices and challenging as long as the backlog in mind still remains in place. Personally I don't feel that an A-2 can ever catch up with the comfort and ease of wear of an M422a or G-1 but that is just my subjective observation. You just have to love A-2s and their unique character to overcome the spoiling effect you feel. ;)

Mr. Mike

So, anyone got any updates to report? :) New jacket plans, stuff like that?
Still vested for an order of a Navy jacket (most most probable an M422a) but yet fiddling around boiling down the specs and maker. There are just so many great designs John can make right. I know slightly off track for this thread in the closer sense but I am sure you'll excuse :).

After the recent post on the sales item page I am going round in circles for one of John's Combat Clones. As always the standing question is seal over russet and which maker. Color/hide in my case often goes together with the maker as I feel that some designs/makers best fit in a certain combination (although John can make them all for sure and they will always be great). My current list of considered options encompass either: Monarch/Seal; Aero/Seal; RW 1401-P/Russet (which is probably the most desirable GW but I unfortunately already hold that model from ELC). Generally I find the russet finish provides more character, however, if it comes to combat clones I feel like they could come out more complex and profound in seal. Happy to get your view as well.

Finally - did anyone of you ever set sails on a Combat Clone from John and can share his/her experience? Or is the plan merely nonsense as artificial aging is rather considered to be blasphemy by the majority of this group?

Cheers

M