• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My last A-2 (hopefully) - Good Wear

Smithy

Actually whilst I think about it isn't Chris also in the queue for another GW?

Now I've gone and done it, already in the last half an hour I've looked at the two Aero contracts, an RW one, the Poughkeepsie and the Bronco. Now I'm more confused than ever! Joys of the GW wait ;-)

B-Man2

Well it's been less than a day and I've already convinced myself that it should be a Rough Wear!
Trust me buddy . You’ll go through about 10 more changes before you finalize your choice and after you finally send it on to John . You’ll agonize and wish you added or changed that choice another five or six times . o_O

Aeroga

Kids get fed and schooled. There is always money for your hobbies... All part of the 'balance' in life.

You just have no time to enjoy either because you work so hard to maintain both!
That's very true. I actually started with one GW as the only A-2 for 8 years until I ordered three from John when I was expecting and had my first and second born. I liked the idea of being able to pass on something to them, whether or not this will pan out in reality in another thing. The thought on completing a cycle is nice, until you start a new one

johnwayne

I find it interesting what makes us so fickle over contracts when ostensibly all A2’s are more or less the same, well so my missus and others tell me! Ive said here before that whilst I like Dubows and Spiewak’s for their more pointy collars, I equally like Perry’s for their more stubby rounded collar but I’ve yet to own a seal, rust knit A2 so come the day thats what might/will be my final A2 (he says)!! We shouldn't wish our lives away but bet that wait cant happen quick enough - I recall my GW arriving and putting it on for the first time, felt the dogs doddahs!!!!

Brettafett

Speaking of Perry. I've always liked the snappy look of the 1756. The Few made one a few years back, but none else seems to have gone there.
I'm not sure if it'd be a comfortable fit, but it has a unique profile and look.
Love the collar and pockets.
See art Garfunkel wearing one in the original Catch 22 movie.
If John made one of these, I'd be interested.
I may be wrong, but I think BK has an original, but not got round to reproducing it yet...

mulceber

You can put a RW1401 back on my list.
Bronco's still on the leaderboard (Grants pic of his original is epic)...

Yep, RW 1401-P from John is on my short list as well. Nearly all my A-2 jackets have that regular, trim fit we all go for (and some are too trim, but that’s another matter), but I think a RW would be an excellent candidate for one of those baggy, wartime fits we see in the photos.

leper-colony

Yep, RW 1401-P from John is on my short list as well. Nearly all my A-2 jackets have that regular, trim fit we all go for (and some are too trim, but that’s another matter), but I think a RW would be an excellent candidate for one of those baggy, wartime fits we see in the photos.
Poughkeepsie.

B-Man2

Ive found that early on I liked the trim fitting A2 contracts and I went with those . Then I realized that in most cases the WWII trim fit look didn’t come from wearing a close fitting jacket but from the fact that much of the time the people wearing them had a t-shirt, then a long Johns top, over which they wore a thick woolen military long sleeve shirt and tie , and sometimes a thick sweater over all of that . Not the t-Shirt that most of us like to wear. With all of that clothing , the jackets looked trim on them . Take all of that down to a t-shirt and the same jacket would look a size or in some cases two sizes too big . You often see this in summer or fall photos of enlisted guys wearing just t-shirts under there A2’s . Officers were always expected to dress with a shirt and tie. So if you want the blousy WWII kind of fit with any contract , Go up a size from what you would normally order .

Last edited:

33-1729

John placed the Rough Wear 42-1671-P contract on the Good Wear site a few months ago and you could be one of the first, if not the first, person to have a repro of this very rare contract (only one survivor known). Just saying . . . (not that I’ve been thinking about it ;))