• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Langlitz Cascade at 1 1/2 years...

Tommer45

While I had the camera out snapping some shots of my Schott I decided to take some of my Langlitz now that it is a year and a half old and has had quite a bit of use. I've previously mentioned that this jacket is probably the best one I own and perhaps the last one I'll ever need for motorcycle use (but will that stop me from buying more moto jackets? Doubt it!). The fit is better than any other jacket in my closet, which it should be, and by far the most comfortable on my 'cycle.

It's the Cascade model, mid-weight cowhide, straight front zipper, hidden elbow pads, & perfectly functioning Scovill main zip (talons everywhere else). As some of you remember I dyed this one myself (actually I might have brought that thread over when we changed sites). The dye has held up pretty well through lots of wear and some good rains. You can see where it's worn off in some places more than others, but I'm really enjoying the look. It's the only jacket I own that consistently gets complimented on the color.. even by random old ladies in the grocery store!

DSC01752.jpg

DSC01753.jpg

DSC01751.jpg

DSC01749.jpg

DSC01750.jpg

Tommer

les_garten

Tommer45 said:
Mazeta I can't help but smile every time I see your crazy avatar. What's its story?

I've known Mazeta for a long time, he's a great guy! But he hasn't won an Beauty pageants recently...

Garzo

Hey Tommer,

great looking jacket. I just read your review of it in the review section -- it looks like it was a lot lighter russet color when you first got it. Have you darkened it up since you got it, or is it the lighting? I like the darker look better.

How much do the Cascades go for? (I've ordered a Langlitz catalog and am seriously considering getting one similar to yours, but in black.)

Tommer45

Hey Garzo, thanks for the compliment on the jacket. Yes I darkened it after owning it a few months and wishing I went with a darker brown instead of their "rust" brown (which was a $50 option from their Langlitz Japan website). I realize it was risky dying an $800+ jacket but it really payed off. I couldn't be happier with the color. Let me see if my thread is still on here where I talk about dying the leather.

Here it is.

http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=138

As I just mentioned this Cascade was just over $800. Actually lemme think... $750 base price, $50 for custom color, $20 for custom pockets and something like $40 for the elbow pads. So looks like this one cost me $860. I have no idea if the base price has increased since fall of '07.

As far as fit is concerned.. no other jacket in the closet fits me better than this one. Langlitz are well worth the price when compared to other companies out there that cost just as much but give you a generic fit. Make sure to let us know if you order one!

Tommer

les_garten

Tommer45 said:
Hey Garzo, thanks for the compliment on the jacket. Yes I darkened it after owning it a few months and wishing I went with a darker brown instead of their "rust" brown (which was a $50 option from their Langlitz Japan website). I realize it was risky dying an $800+ jacket but it really payed off. I couldn't be happier with the color. Let me see if my thread is still on here where I talk about dying the leather.

Here it is.

http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=138

As I just mentioned this Cascade was just over $800. Actually lemme think... $750 base price, $50 for custom color, $20 for custom pockets and something like $40 for the elbow pads. So looks like this one cost me $860. I have no idea if the base price has increased since fall of '07.

As far as fit is concerned.. no other jacket in the closet fits me better than this one. Langlitz are well worth the price when compared to other companies out there that cost just as much but give you a generic fit. Make sure to let us know if you order one!

Tommer

Dude,
That Jacket is a Frickin' Heirloom!

Les

les_garten

Tommer45 said:
Les, I never know if you are being nice or starting trouble!! ;)

Heh, that is one sweat Jacket Homes! My first bike jacket was styled like that and about the same color. No where near the quality though. Nah I'm just admirin' it from afar!!

Les

Garzo

I know the Cascade usually comes with the diagonal zip, but in what other ways does the Cascade differ from the Langlitz Crescent? I've been checking out the Langlitz catalogue but unfortunately it doesn't provide a whole lot of detailed info. I'd really like to check some of the jackets out in person.

But it looks like the Crescent is Langlitz's plain "cafe racer" jacket, and maybe a tad longer than the other models. And no back yoke.

But other than that, any other major differences?

watchmanjimg

I seriously considered ordering a Crescent myself, but wound up getting a straight-zip Cascade. As I recall the differences were the straight zip and a noticeably longer body.

watchmanjimg

Wow! I guess that one underscores the great variety of styles offered by Langlitz. In my opinion their products are a bit less refined than those of some other top brands, but they'll build a bulletproof jacket to your specifications at a very reasonable price. I'd rate them as very competitive in the area of moto/utility jackets.

Garzo

Thanks for the replies -- yeah, they both look great. I guess the Crescent just has the longer cut and the lower kidney panel in the rear. At first I really preferred the straight zip on the Cascade, but the diagonal cut is growing on me.