• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Hump pilot tribute jacket

pathdoc2

My tribute jacket to those who flew the “hump” from India to China during WWII is mostly complete. 3 different artists contributed to making this jacket possible. One of my favorite aspects is the name tag in both English and Chinese by Jim Buchanan. My jacket is loosely based on an original A-2 owner by Captain Forrest J Bell seen on page 70 of American Flight Jackests by Jon A Macguire and John P Conway. Big thanks to David F. Bonetti for the inspiration. All multilayer patches by Sean Collins, Johnny Signor painted the ICWATC patch for me. The jacket is a cheapie I picked up off eBay for $60. It isn't a perfect A-2 but for the price I couldn't pass it up. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_8226.JPG
    IMG_8226.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 540
  • IMG_8229.JPG
    IMG_8229.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 392
  • IMG_8227.JPG
    IMG_8227.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 518
  • IMG_8228.JPG
    IMG_8228.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 424
  • IMG_8230.JPG
    IMG_8230.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 373
  • IMG_8231.JPG
    IMG_8231.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 328
  • IMG_8233.JPG
    IMG_8233.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 368
  • IMG_8234.JPG
    IMG_8234.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 405

Edward

sweet!!!!! well done! I have a bit of an interest in the ATC... sort of the unsung heroes of the war. love the patches they had. a few vintage authentic ATC A-2 jackets come up on eBay fairly often but they are pricey...
But someone landed a great condition, named and wearable Cable Raincoat size 44 on eBay for $998.00 just last week!
I bid on it but lost. :(

Aug 11, 2019 , 8:58PM
Winning bid:US $998.00 [ 4 bids ]
Shipping:$23.81 Expedited Shipping

atc-l1600-2.jpg
atc-l1600-4.jpg
atc-l1600-8.jpg
atc-l1600-11.jpg
atc-l1600-15.jpg
atcl1600-9.jpg
atcs-l1600-10.jpg

ausreenactor

sweet!!!!! well done! I have a bit of an interest in the ATC... sort of the unsung heroes of the war. love the patches they had. a few vintage authentic ATC A-2 jackets come up on eBay fairly often but they are pricey...
But someone landed a great condition, named and wearable Cable Raincoat size 44 on eBay for $998.00 just last week!

View attachment 23939View attachment 23940View attachment 23941View attachment 23942View attachment 23943View attachment 23944View attachment 23945

Great jacket for that price!

Changeling

WWII US Army Air Corps A2 Leather Flying Jacket - China India Burma
An original CBI pilot, A2 Jacket named to the first pilot to complete 50 missions over the "Hump" Elmer Eberhardt.
His Poughkeepsie A2 is for sale on Bob Sims Militaria website for £1480,00.

B-Man2

View attachment 23939View attachment 23940View attachment 23941View attachment 23942View attachment 23943View attachment 23944View attachment 23945
Ed
If you happen to know, what size was this ?

Edward

that jacket was one of many items in a grouping that was broken up and sold on eBay by an intermediary
for the family of Sheldon Paul Purdy, a World War II Navigator pilot.
Lieutenant/ Captain/ Major Purdy earned eight Battle Stars and five service medals in the European and Pacific Theaters.
After World War II he was a commercial pilot for Lufthansa trans International Airways and Transocean Airways.
He flew C-47 SkyTrain and C-54 skymaster in delivery of personnel and supplies and equipment to combat theaters.
He passed away on May 5th 2014 at 98 years old.

other items included a nice round ATC photo badge and if I am not mistaken the winner of the jacket got his ID badge as well.
purdy.jpg

Flightengineer

One day when I finally have time, I will make one of my A2 AVI Bronco in the ATC style, with camels as marks of missions through the hump. These guys had nerves of steel ...
About a week ago, we lost the left engine over Western China and my thought was about these guys on their C-47.

Pilot

One day when I finally have time, I will make one of my A2 AVI Bronco in the ATC style, with camels as marks of missions through the hump. These guys had nerves of steel ...
About a week ago, we lost the left engine over Western China and my thought was about these guys on their C-47.
Wow! Compressor stalls... never funny... worse... over China... huuhhh.
Happy to have you here...

Flightengineer

Wow! Compressor stalls... never funny... worse... over China... huuhhh.
Happy to have you here...

Thanks Brice. In fact, there was a false response one of the sensors of the fire system and was blocked the fuel supply. We continued with right only, after 20 minutes we fixed problem and were able to start the left engine again. Our plane is certified for flying on one, but nevertheless we was a little sweaty.
I would not never want to be in this place without left engine on the C-47.

Pilot

Thanks Brice. In fact, there was a false response one of the sensors of the fire system and was blocked the fuel supply. We continued with right only, after 20 minutes we fixed problem and were able to start the left engine again. Our plane is certified for flying on one, but nevertheless we was a little sweaty.
I would not never want to be in this place without left engine on the C-47.
Had a similar experience on a C-160 over the Alps... Full payload.. 30 paras for a NATO base in Italy onboard... no fun to see N# 1 feathering... during the night in 0 visibility...
Same... wet back and pants...

Flightengineer

Had a similar experience on a C-160 over the Alps... Full payload.. 30 paras for a NATO base in Italy onboard... no fun to see N# 1 feathering... during the night in 0 visibility...
Same... wet back and pants...

I almost didn't fly on propeller planes (except for the initial training aircraft and the Yak-52), I started in my first airline on jet engine plane at once. But the view of the blades in fluger position on a twin-engine full loaded cargo at night over the mountains ... it's an unpleasant sight, it's good that your crew managed and win, Brice.

I already started in my free time the implementation of my personal "hump" project. I have almost finished paint work on the ATC leather patch for it.