• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My HGU-26/p helmet - a Corona lock-down project

ties70

I always wanted an original flight helmet...at least since I had sold my issued SPH-3 helicopter helmet a couple of years ago.

So I took the chance to grab a NOS "Quarter Assembly" of a HGU-26/p from 1984 (helmet shell, visor housing and visors, styrene liner) from a friendly guy in Belgium, got an OregonAero Zeta liner from him as well, sourced a Sierra snap-on leather edgeroll...and got me some leather ear pads off Ebay.

Initially I wanted to convert the helmet into a recent HGU-55, the one without the visor housing. In the end, the helmet was assembled as the HGU-26, but I made a complete tape job (my first) with 3M reflective tape and finished the helmet as a VF-114 Aardvark's design.

Not historically correct, but I like it:

IMG_20200618_1128466~2.jpg

IMG_20200618_1129421~2.jpg

IMG_20200618_1129271.jpg

IMG_20200619_1949292.jpg

IMG_20200619_1949544.jpg

IMG_20200623_1717158~4.jpg

The fit is exceptionally good, though I have just used standard components. Actually, much better than any motorcycle helmets I had...the only thing I would not trust is the snap-on chin strap...

Best regards,

Ties

Cocker

LOVE it!! It's my dream to have either an APH-6 or a HGU-33 with oxygen mask to display in my office.

And let's face it, VF-114's scheme is very efficient in it's simplicity, it's a classy timeless design!

917_k

Lovely work, you’ve created a fantastic looking helmet there.

I’ve just acquired a pair of original 60s HGU-26s, must get some photos shared.

ties70

@Cocker

Cédric,

APH-6...very cool. With a dual Rams Horn visor...even cooler!

But this stuff is definitely pricy...helmet, interior, hell...the reflective tape for a USN design taped helmet alone costs about 100 USD (NO chance to get it in Germany, had to get it from a company in Manchester), but it was worth it!

Here is a picture taken with flash, to give you an impression of how the helmet would look at night:

IMG_20200623_1717038~2.jpg

Even the black tape is reflective!

If you have a "lame" open motorcycle helmet, get the tape and turn it into something special...

Ties