• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first vintage jacket.

s4rmark

I recently purchased this jacket from Ebay and it arrived today . It’s an Irvin B foster G-1 7823c and considering its age, I think it’s in remarkable condition . Yes, it has a moth nip in one of the cuffs and a small hole in the lining but these small imperfections apart I’m very happy with it , considering the price. Pictures to follow tomorrow,.

MikeyB-17

I had a C series, one of my favourites of the several G-1’s I had over the years. The Irvin B. C’s have an extra seam on the edge of the bi-swing that you don’t get on other G-1’s- the back panel is separate from the pleats, normally the edges of the back panel are folded to make the gussets but not on these. I saw it mentioned on one of the old forums many years ago, it fascinated me, and I was really pleased when I took a chance on a badly photographed G-1 for £80 on Ebay and it turned out to be An Irvin B. C. Sold it eventually as you do. Enjoy, and we need pics!

s4rmark

0A7ED307-33E9-4E00-B028-2A30122D7F36.jpeg
A978F219-E16E-4E3D-89A1-AB81099AB56E.jpeg
0540FAEA-298F-4097-9D38-89CDA33768DF.jpeg
As promised, here are a few pics of the jacket.

Attachments

• EA1EEC08-00C1-4779-BF85-4337096CE05B.jpeg
    EA1EEC08-00C1-4779-BF85-4337096CE05B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 320

s4rmark

Thanks Andrew, I was wondering which year it was made . According to Wikipedia the C models started in 1962. That’s the only reference I could find.

oose

Lovely Jacket, perfect condition I'm sure it will give you much joy. The first C models were produced around 1964 as the last B model contracts were awarded in 1963.

Grant

Well done s4mark! Good condition C's are getting rare these days. So many people think they have a C when in fact it's a D with part of the letter D worn away on the spec label.

s4rmark

Thanks for all th the positive comments, overall the jacket is in remarkable condition for its age. Only 1 small moth hole on the cuff , a very small repair on the hem and a very small hole on the lining near the left armpit that looks like a cigarette burn. I think the jacket hasn’t had much use and looks to have been stored away for some time after being stuffed in some sort of bag , judging by the wrinkles and creases . I may now try to search out a 1950’s contact G-1.

Marv

Super looking G1, excellent condition and a great fit.

I have a mint mid 1950s L W Foster Sportswear G1 (with the blackend 5# Conmar zipper) and its a fantastic jacket, most of the ones I have seen are usually in great condition.

Ken at Aero Leather

I think the jacket hasn’t had much use and looks to have been stored away for some time after being stuffed in some sort of bag , judging by the wrinkles and creases .

Your jacket has been baled in a "rag yard". probably in the early 1970s when there was little interest in vintage leather but the Rag Yard owners didn't like to scrap anything that might fetch a $ or 2.
These bales were usually graded 1, 2 0r 3 and each contained about 40 to 50 jackets on average.

They could be bought, unopened, sight unseen or opened, and jackets selected but if a bale was opened the owner would expect to sell a fair percentace of the contents in "a lot"
For many years be brought over grade 3 unopened which always yielded the best value, great jackets, ripped liners, broken stitching rarely anything we couldn't fix

Occasionally a bale would contain jackets most of which would be creased like yours, either carelessly put in the baler or stored damp .............or both.

https://newrepublic.com/article/122564/inside-massive-rag-yards-wring-money-out-your-old-clothes

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts