• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first selvedge denim : Momotaro Jeans 0306-12SP

mulceber

Wow, some really nice fades on all of those, entertainment. I especially like the LVC 1953s. Really spectacular. So far the best I've been able to manage is this pair of Brave Star Cone Mills jeans that I bought early last year:
IMG_4818.jpeg

Still a ways to go on them though. I'm hoping to get some starker fades out of the Sugarcanes.

entertainment

Wow, some really nice fades on all of those, entertainment. I especially like the LVC 1953s. Really spectacular. So far the best I've been able to manage is this pair of Brave Star Cone Mills jeans that I bought early last year:
View attachment 73209
Still a ways to go on them though. I'm hoping to get some starker fades out of the Sugarcanes.
Looks like some nice denim, just give them some more time! The LVC 1966 are made from Cone Mills denim when the factory was still operating in White Oak. Is that where this denim was made?

mulceber

Looks like some nice denim, just give them some more time! The LVC 1966 are made from Cone Mills denim when the factory was still operating in White Oak. Is that where this denim was made?

Thanks, will do. Yep, it has the White Oak label on the inside. That said, I've seen a lot of jeans from Gustin and Brave Star in the last couple years advertised as "Cone Mills, never to be seen again," and yet they keep finding more of it. I'm not sure if that's because there's just a ton of leftover Cone Mills denim, or if they're just buying denim from Vidalia Mills (which picked up Cone Mills' looms and a lot of the old employees) and billing it as dead-stock CM denim to make an extra buck. I wouldn't be too angry if they were, since it's excellent denim, it was still pretty reasonably priced and it was made by CM employees using CM machines either way, but I'm still curious.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Can't beat Sugar Cane '47's, IMHO. Here's my pre-Levi's law suit pair - so they have a red tag and arcs. One wash in 6 or so years...

View attachment 73611
Hi Chris
Question
One wash in 6 years?
Is there something that is done to them that lets them go that long without a wash ?
I’ve had a pair of Selvedge jeans for 6 months and I finally had to give them a soak so we could both live with each other . I’m new to this so I’m learning as I go .
thanks
Burt

Grant

Hey Burt,
Since you live in Florida, probably a whole different story, but I've found hanging denim outside for a couple days to air out helps take away some the rank. Also spritzing lightly with plain white vinegar helps. If you have to wash, turn them inside out, wash in cold water only and use mild soap (Woolite Dark or a non-detergent) on a delicate cycle and hang to dry. Hope that helps!

B-Man2

Hey Burt,
Since you live in Florida, probably a whole different story, but I've found hanging denim outside for a couple days to air out helps take away some the rank. Also spritzing lightly with plain white vinegar helps. If you have to wash, turn them inside out, wash in cold water only and use mild soap (Woolite Dark or a non-detergent) on a delicate cycle and hang to dry. Hope that helps!
Grant
Thanks for that. Florida heat does create a few problems . I’ll definitely try the white vinegar, I’ve followed the turn them inside out
And use strictly cold water soak with them.
Haven’t actually washed them with anything.
I’ll keep following your advice . Thanks

stanier

Hi Chris
Question
One wash in 6 years?
Is there something that is done to them that lets them go that long without a wash ?
I’ve had a pair of Selvedge jeans for 6 months and I finally had to give them a soak so we could both live with each other . I’m new to this so I’m learning as I go .
thanks
Burt

Hi Burt, I agree with everything Grant says, oh and keeping a small box of open washing powder in the vicinity of my denim closet..

ES335

Have any of you tried sticking them in the freezer yet…(Nnatalie) you didn’t read this
Complete denimhead folklore nonsense. Freezing does nothing for dirt/particular matter, and any bacteria simply go dormant at best until thawed again. Same with washing in ocean water- you'd just end up smelling like something caught at low tide. Better to wear often, wash seldom and just rinse in lukewarm water and hang dry occationally. IMO... I have mall jeans I wear for work or anything in the heat. The selvage stuff (also a huge BS fan!) gets worn at home or during the cooler months.

D97x7

I love the idea of wearing a pair of jeans for years without washing them, unfortunately I also love big slobbery dogs, the two don't mix so if I can go a month without washing I'm doing good, ah well. :)

Last edited:

entertainment

Grant
Thanks for that. Florida heat does create a few problems . I’ll definitely try the white vinegar, I’ve followed the turn them inside out
And use strictly cold water soak with them.
Haven’t actually washed them with anything.
I’ll keep following your advice . Thanks
A cold soak is the best first step. Once there is any soap lots of indigo will bleed out of the fabric. Even a tiny amount of soap will make a big difference. For me, hand wash and drip dry, no spinning. With drip drying, more sizing will stay in the fabric which is your friend for whiskering.

stanier

Really cool - when did this lawsuit you mentioned happen? I knew a lot of the selvage manufacturers had to ditch the arcs because Levi's had them copyrighted, but didn't realize it involved legal action.

From memory the one with Sugar Cane was about 2006 or 2007. But I think Levi's are still doing it to other companies.

To me, it's a shame really. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of trademark infringment Levi's ought to be able to reproduce the most exacting and perfect denim pieces to reduce competitors to permanent second almost overnight. Yet they'd rather spnd the money suing people who are trying to give them the ultimate flattery. And LVC with the notable exception of LVC Japan (which they closed down) and the odd piece is largely junk, imho. I know there's more to it, bu that's how I see it.

mulceber

I'm largely in agreement with you. One of those instances when copyright and intellectual property seemingly serve only to stifle creativity and coddle companies that are entrenched, rather than encouraging them to make the best product they can.

stanier

I have a feel that the redline selvedge somehow escaped being registered. Maybe because Levis dropped it in the mainstream products in the early 80's. But that doesn't seem to attract the same angst as the red tab and arcs, although it was at one time as much a sign of their brand as the red tab. And oddly the arcs, in days gone by wasn't exclusive to Levis

entertainment

From memory the one with Sugar Cane was about 2006 or 2007. But I think Levi's are still doing it to other companies.

To me, it's a shame really. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of trademark infringment Levi's ought to be able to reproduce the most exacting and perfect denim pieces to reduce competitors to permanent second almost overnight. Yet they'd rather spnd the money suing people who are trying to give them the ultimate flattery. And LVC with the notable exception of LVC Japan (which they closed down) and the odd piece is largely junk, imho. I know there's more to it, bu that's how I see it.
I know people love to hate on Levi's but the LVC Made In USA jeans with White Oak denim were great. I would rather have the Made in USA LVC 47 than the Sugar Cane 47. To me, one wash (as with SC) is one wash too many. Give me raw denim and one hot soak. That stiff feeling is awesome. I just started wearing a pair of LVC Made in USA 505-0217s. The denim is actually from Kaihara. But they are really great jeans.