• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first real A-2

JulianK

Hey everyone,

Just received my Aero real deal A2 from @interbak here on the forums. I’m loving the jacket and looking forward to working her in. I can tell he was very kind to it cause it still feels brand new haha.

how does the fit look?

J

Attachments

• C41F1CBA-70C1-4CBA-AC6F-A31CCEA00E45.jpeg
    C41F1CBA-70C1-4CBA-AC6F-A31CCEA00E45.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 472

B-Man2

Hey Jules
Welcome to the forum !
First impression of the jacket looks pretty good , although it’s tough to tell from that one photo. You might want to zip it up and take a couple of shots from different angles for a better result . Sleeves look maybe a touch long, but really can’t be sure seeing just the one arm.
Congrats on your first A2 , I’m sure it won’t be your last. What size is it?
Cheers

JulianK

Hey Jules
Welcome to the forum !
First impression of the jacket looks pretty good , although it’s tough to tell from that one photo. You might want to zip it up and take a couple of shots from different angles for a better result . Sleeves look maybe a touch long, but really can’t be sure seeing just the one arm.
Congrats on your first A2 , I’m sure it won’t be your last. What size is it?
Cheers

I’ll take some better photos tonight. It’s a 44 but I’m probably closer to a 42.

mulceber

Burt took the words out of my mouth. Ideally the knits wouldn’t bunch up like they do on the sleeves, but for a second-hand purchase that is not a bad fit. Looks like a great jacket. As you wear the jacket though, the arm length will shrink a little bit, and the knits will relax, meaning that they’ll fall a bit further down on your wrist. So the sleeves will get better with time.

Last edited:

JulianK

Great point about the arms fellas! Do you guys find that the length changes at all with time, I find a bit of ballooning in the back but nothing too bad.

JulianK

Been trying to break this thing in before I decide on the fit. Breaking it in hasn’t been super successful but here are some photos.

I don’t understand what’s going on in the back and it really is bothering me. not sure if I can remedy this at all or if it will get better over time.

thanks,

julian

Attachments

• F3E16C72-7486-4DC5-8359-04FFCAB441B2.jpeg
    F3E16C72-7486-4DC5-8359-04FFCAB441B2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 286
  • 7CDA3D97-0B09-4949-9FC0-F9AA7CD5108B.jpeg
    7CDA3D97-0B09-4949-9FC0-F9AA7CD5108B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 247
  • F0F1B075-CB1C-472C-82A4-6873D2A76502.jpeg
    F0F1B075-CB1C-472C-82A4-6873D2A76502.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 227
  • 01F106CB-A2AF-4767-AA68-82345F4FC326.jpeg
    01F106CB-A2AF-4767-AA68-82345F4FC326.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 232

B-Man2

Been trying to break this thing in before I decide on the fit. Breaking it in hasn’t been super successful but here are some photos.

I don’t understand what’s going on in the back and it really is bothering me. not sure if I can remedy this at all or if it will get better over time.

thanks,

julian
Hey Julian
This is just my opinion but most of the problems you are experiencing with the jacket and the back is that it’s too big for you. As a result you have a lot of extra leather that is not being filled out and it’s bunching up in places .
Cheers

mulceber

Hey Julian
This is just my opinion but most of the problems you are experiencing with the jacket and the back is that it’s too big for you. As a result you have a lot of extra leather that is not being filled out and it’s bunching up in places .
Cheers

Yeah, it's sort of an odd fit - the pit-to-pit looks pretty good, but it seems like you have a very slender lower torso/waist, and arms that are a bit short for the jacket. I'd say you need the same size, but in a contract with a really trim belly and short arms.

JulianK

Yeah, it's sort of an odd fit - the pit-to-pit looks pretty good, but it seems like you have a very slender lower torso/waist, and arms that are a bit short for the jacket. I'd say you need the same size, but in a contract with a really trim belly and short arms.
It’s a bit unfortunate. My shoulders are 19” and my waist is 29”. Got hips like a little girl...

I don’t think I have any other option than just custom.

JulianK

Hey Julian
Cheers

Appreciate the insight! I think I need a 42L instead of a 44.

mulceber

It’s a bit unfortunate. My shoulders are 19” and my waist is 29”. Got hips like a little girl...

I don’t think I have any other option than just custom.

More like the hips of a 20 year old guy, which, incidentally, was the demographic these jackets were initially designed for. It's just that they were wearing them with all kinds of layering to stay warm in the cockpit. We're mostly wearing them over 1-2 thin layers. 19" shoulders and a trim belly aren't that outlandish. I'd go over to Good Wear's and Bill Kelso's websites and read their descriptions of their jackets. They provide some good insights into how the various contracts fit. As a starting point, I'd look at the Rough Wear contracts. They're somewhat trim in the torso and have wide shoulders.

JulianK

More like the hips of a 20 year old guy, which, incidentally, was the demographic these jackets were initially designed for. It's just that they were wearing them with all kinds of layering to stay warm in the cockpit. We're mostly wearing them over 1-2 thin layers. 19" shoulders and a trim belly aren't that outlandish. I'd go over to Good Wear's and Bill Kelso's websites and read their descriptions of their jackets. They provide some good insights into how the various contracts fit. As a starting point, I'd look at the Rough Wear contracts. They're somewhat trim in the torso and have wide shoulders.

Haha I’m 22 so good guess. I appreciate the recommendation and have always been a big fan of the Rough Wear contracts.

mulceber

Here are the pit-to-pit, shoulders, back length and sleeves of an Eastman Rough Wear in size 42, if it helps. Eastman charges an arm and a leg, but their jackets also come up for sale all the time on the classifieds here, on Eastman's classifieds page, and on eBay. If you keep an eye out, you might be able to land one for less than you paid for your Aero.
Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 1.24.25 PM.png

JulianK

Here are the pit-to-pit, shoulders, back length and sleeves of an Eastman Rough Wear in size 42, if it helps. Eastman charges an arm and a leg, but their jackets also come up for sale all the time on the classifieds here, on Eastman's classifieds page, and on eBay. If you keep an eye out, you might be able to land one for less than you paid for you Aero.
View attachment 47716

these dimensions are basically perfect. I’d spring for a Goodwear I think since I intend to be a 1 A-2 kind of guy. Minus 1 original which I’m always keeping an eye out for, although they are far and few in between for a decently priced fair example.