• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first painted A2, from a LONG time ago

MauldinFan

I was painting A2s back when there weren't many people doing so, in the 80s. This was my first, an Avirex. Sadly, it doesn't fit anymore and I gave it to my nephew but I doubt he's worn it...
ww2 acans-02.jpeg

It had a leather name tape, 8th bomber command stubby wing patch painted on the left sleeve, and yellow bomb shaped "mission" markings for each warbird ride I'd had (with red bombs for the times I got hold of the controls in flight). I could find no photos of the front.

MauldinFan

ww2 acans-01-01.jpeg

Here I am in 1996 with that A-2 draped over my arm after landing in this P-51, after 90 minutes in the air in formation with the Collings Foundation B-17 and B-24, and a T-6, much of which was over the Gulf of Mexico. Best hour and a half of my life, no doubt!
I'm glad the Nomex flight suit I'm wearing was too large for me at the time, as I wanted to wear it over anything I might need to wear underneath. I can (and would) still wear that today if I ever get another warbird flight.

JonnyCrow

View attachment 111157
Here I am in 1996 with that A-2 draped over my arm after landing in this P-51, after 90 minutes in the air in formation with the Collings Foundation B-17 and B-24, and a T-6, much of which was over the Gulf of Mexico. Best hour and a half of my life, no doubt!
I'm glad the Nomex flight suit I'm wearing was too large for me at the time, as I wanted to wear it over anything I might need to wear underneath. I can (and would) still wear that today if I ever get another warbird flight.
Great photo