• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first original nylon jacket

Peter Graham

This jacket may not look anything special to you nylon buffs but it's significant for me as it's my first step on the slippery slope to nylon junkiedom. I picked up this Skyline L2-B for $50 which I'm pretty happy with. It's in excellent shape apart from the knits which are a bit mothy but not really bad. The fit is trim but not too tight although heavy sweaters underneath are out but I bought this as a summer jacket anyway. I have two questions, can anyone date this jacket as the label is undated and does anyone know where I can get a full set of knits for a reasonable price ? Thanks.
l2b001.jpg

l2b002.jpg

l2b004.jpg

l2b003.jpg

Atticus

You did very well, Peter. F-series L-2bs are fairly rare. As to date, I can tell you that D-series jackets were first issued in 1961, and H-series jackets were issued in 1967---so I would say the F-series L-2bs were issued in 1963 or 1964.

I expect that David can tell us for sure.

AF

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Peter Graham said:
can anyone date this jacket as the label is undated ....

Nice ... last version 2 contract, with epaulettes, and waist tab, from 1964.

Alpha made the only other 7448F, but it's version 3, dated April 1965.

Weasel_Loader

First off congrats Peter on the F model L-2B and your venture into the nylon world of flight jackets. Second, I envy anyone who can fit into a Small L-2B. I can't even fit into a X-Large except for my H model Satellite. :roll:

For some reason, Skyline didn't put a date on those F model L-2Bs from '64.

In my opinion, the rarest 60s model L-2Bs seem to be the E models and the rarest being the E model Martin Lane and L.W. Foster Sportswear.

Here is my near mint Skyline F model I used to own in XL.

L-2BLarge1-700.jpg

This is the F model Alpha in XL that I owned for a few weeks. Watchmanjimg now owns this jacket. ;)

L-2BFAlpha-700.jpg

watchmanjimg

Weasel_Loader said:
This is the F model Alpha in XL that I owned for a few weeks. Watchmanjimg now owns this jacket. ;)

L-2BFAlpha-700.jpg

Indeed I do, and I still wish you had sold me that Skyline F! Anyway, my compliments to Peter on a great-looking jacket at a great price.

Peter Graham

Thanks for the positive comments guys. It's a great little jacket. So light that it doesn't feel like I've a jacket on at all but with snow falling outside I doubt that it will get much wear for a while. Plenty of time to replace the knits. My nylon mania continues unabated as I've just bought a Buzz Rickson early MA-1. I swore I would stick to originals but this came up at a price I could not pass up on.

dujardin

hello Peter,

nice one and look great on you.
i like those ''short'' nylon jacket.
good catch at low price, well done

byeeeeeee marcel

Atticus

Peter, the addictive thing about nylon jackets is that they are just so damn practical and comfortable---especially MA-1s. I agree that vintage leather jackets have a unique character and charm, but on a cold, damp winter day it is difficult to beat the warmth and comfort of a well-worn, early-sixties MA-1.

AF

dujardin

Atticus said:
Peter, the addictive thing about nylon jackets is that they are just so damn practical and comfortable---especially MA-1s. I agree that vintage leather jackets have a unique character and charm, but on a cold, damp winter day it is difficult to beat the warmth and comfort of a well-worn, early-sixties MA-1.

AF

i agree 100% with that fact.
and also very resistant jacket.

Pict0004-2.jpg

byeeeeee marcel

Weasel_Loader

What contract is it George? The only E models that I know of are Alpha, Skyline, Martin Lane and L.W. Fosters. Does your E model have the C&C Crown zipper? I've only seen those on the L-2Bs once or twice. Really difficult to find. ;)

greyhound52

Weasel_Loader said:
What contract is it George? The only E models that I know of are Alpha, Skyline, Martin Lane and L.W. Fosters. Does your E model have the C&C Crown zipper? I've only seen those on the L-2Bs once or twice. Really difficult to find. ;)
Alpha and CandC Crown zip see the post I put on it with pics.

Peter Graham

I'm considering patching up this jacket. Can anyone suggest a patch or patches that are of the correct era and not too colourful, black and white, black, white and red or green subdued. I'm thinking something rock 'n' rollish looking, skulls, playing cards, dice, that sort of thing. Hope someone can help.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Peter Graham said:
... not too colourful, black and white, black, white and red or green subdued. I'm thinking something rock 'n' rollish looking ...

Perfick !! ......... :lol:

cad_748_dt.jpg