• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first Original (a notorious one at that)

Edward

Edward, awesome jacket! And most importantly, it is the original.
Can you imagine what she could tell if she could talk?
That's a benefit of finding a jacket that's named... you can trace the history of the jacket and figure out what plane it was on and what position and find a record of missions. Some jackets of course were re-issued so they would have actually had more missions than could possibly be researched being that name tags and patches were removed to be issued to the next guy...so that history of the jacket is also forever lost.
As for mine at least I have a squadron patch to give me a small story. The 2nd Bomb Squadron/ 22nd Bomb Group/ 5th Air Force... so that at least puts this jacket in the CBI. The 2nd Bombardment Squadron was based at Reid River, about 40 miles South of Townsville, Australia.
It may have flown aboard a B-26 Marauder (unless early in the war when the B-26s were grounded so it could have been aboard a B-25... they were re-equipped with B-25 Mitchells in 1943, and B-24 Liberators in 1944 as they got more into runs on the Japanese mainland... ) The cool part is they began raiding the southern Philippines in September 1944 to neutralize Japanese bases in preparation for the invasion of Leyte of which my grandfather was a part of in the Navy! So that's kind of cool! Would be amazing if one could just touch a jacket and get the knowledge of all its missions! So depending on the year of war this jacket was in it could have been on a B-26, B-25 or a B-24... who knows?

further research shows bases for the 2nd BS at
Brisbane, Australia, 25 Feb 1942
Ipswich, Australia, 2 Mar 1942
Townsville, Australia, 7 Apr 1942
Reid River, Australia, 9 Apr 1942
Dobodura, New Guinea, 9 Oct 1943
Nadzab, New Guinea, 19 Dec 1943
Owi, Schouten Islands,11 Aug 1944
Leyte, c. 19 Nov I.944
Angaur, c. 28 Nov 1944
Samar, 26 Jan 1945
Clark Field, Luzon, Mar 1945
Okinawa, 18 Aug 1945
Ft William McKinley, Luzon, 23 Nov 1945

Last edited:

Flightengineer

That's a benefit of finding a jacket that's named... you can trace the history of the jacket and figure out what plane it was on and what position and find a record of missions. Some jackets of course were re-issued so they would have actually had more missions than could possibly be researched being that name tags and patches were removed to be issued to the next guy...so that history of the jacket is also forever lost.
As for mine at least I have a squadron patch to give me a small story. The 2nd Bomb Squadron/ 22nd Bomb Group/ 5th Air Force... so that at least puts this jacket in the CBI. The 2nd Bombardment Squadron was based at Reid River, about 40 miles South of Townsville, Australia.
It may have flown aboard a B-26 Marauder (unless early in the war when the B-26s were grounded so it could have been aboard a B-25... they were re-equipped with B-25 Mitchells in 1943, and B-24 Liberators in 1944 as they got more into runs on the Japanese mainland... ) The cool part is they began raiding the southern Philippines in September 1944 to neutralize Japanese bases in preparation for the invasion of Leyte of which my grandfather was a part of in the Navy! So that's kind of cool! Would be amazing if one could just touch a jacket and get the knowledge of all its missions! So depending on the year of war this jacket was in it could have been on a B-26, B-25 or a B-24... who knows?

further research shows bases for the 2nd BS at
Brisbane, Australia, 25 Feb 1942
Ipswich, Australia, 2 Mar 1942
Townsville, Australia, 7 Apr 1942
Reid River, Australia, 9 Apr 1942
Dobodura, New Guinea, 9 Oct 1943
Nadzab, New Guinea, 19 Dec 1943
Owi, Schouten Islands,11 Aug 1944
Leyte, c. 19 Nov I.944
Angaur, c. 28 Nov 1944
Samar, 26 Jan 1945
Clark Field, Luzon, Mar 1945
Okinawa, 18 Aug 1945
Ft William McKinley, Luzon, 23 Nov 1945

You did a great job. And this evokes my sincere respect.
One of the main points that "keeps" (me personally) in this hobby is the love of history, the history of aviation and people, without whom there would be no aviation itself.
The fact that this jacket was probably somewhere near and above where your grandfather fought ... it means that it was not for nothing that you bought it and may be God wanted it.
I don't have the original A-2 (repro only) but for the most part I know the history of my other original jackets. As a person who still flies and also as a person with imagination, I often imagine that, for example, that this patch on my G-1 was sewn when Jerry, the owner of this jacket, every day took off from the deck in Tonkin Gulf or that these belt tracks on my Soviet flight jacket appeared when Vladimir made insanely dangerous landings in Bagram or Kabul ... as they dive down and alignment before touch down so as not to be shot down. Or how Brian in this Mk3 took off his tanker from Ascension Island and how insanely long and hard they refueled each other, so that at the end they would to fuel one single bomber. And so on...
This is a very important point. The history in your hand.
And this feeling will give you only the original.
Congratulations again.
At the same time I wanted to say that I really like your home collection of aviation artifacts. I am very impressed with your efforts and attention to the nuances. I also have many different things at home, including parts from old planes, which for various reasons are dear to me and I also always find out the history of everything that comes into my hands.

Edward

You did a great job. And this evokes my sincere respect.
One of the main points that "keeps" (me personally) in this hobby is the love of history, the history of aviation and people, without whom there would be no aviation itself.
The fact that this jacket was probably somewhere near and above where your grandfather fought ... it means that it was not for nothing that you bought it and may be God wanted it.
I don't have the original A-2 (repro only) but for the most part I know the history of my other original jackets. As a person who still flies and also as a person with imagination, I often imagine that, for example, that this patch on my G-1 was sewn when Jerry, the owner of this jacket, every day took off from the deck in Tonkin Gulf or that these belt tracks on my Soviet flight jacket appeared when Vladimir made insanely dangerous landings in Bagram or Kabul ... as they dive down and alignment before touch down so as not to be shot down. Or how Brian in this Mk3 took off his tanker from Ascension Island and how insanely long and hard they refueled each other, so that at the end they would to fuel one single bomber. And so on...
This is a very important point. The history in your hand.
And this feeling will give you only the original.
Congratulations again.
At the same time I wanted to say that I really like your home collection of aviation artifacts. I am very impressed with your efforts and attention to the nuances. I also have many different things at home, including parts from old planes, which for various reasons are dear to me and I also always find out the history of everything that comes into my hands.
Yes having an original A-2 in my collection is a huge deal for me! As you know with all my other items it kind of sets a place of reality for me and a sense of connection. Its my tribute for my admiration and respect for these guys. It kind of makes me feel like I might be a touch closer to them in some way by having these items here For me to hold, feel and look over. Some people like to have autographs from famous actors or musicians and perhaps a used movie prop... for me having items worn or used by these aviators is what excites me. Even my ride in a B-17 was to get a small sense of what it was like to be in one. Hearing, feeling and smelling the surroundings of a Flying Fortress just added that much more of a level of trying to connect with them and the history. It’s fun, interesting and educational !

Last edited:

Edward

Congrats Edward, you wear it well.

Regards,
Thanks Brent! I didn’t plan or intend to get one so soon but with asking prices climbing I figure sooner rather than later might be best. I will wear it very rarely on a cool cloudy casual day but otherwise display in my collection of USAAF items is where it’ll be .. and for the best.

Edward

How's it looking after the touch ups?
Very good! A tad darker and healthier looking! It’s like a soft protective coating! Just got him on my mannequin and about to post a review
31F25C41-A58E-40DE-A613-43B0149AF147.jpeg
03D298A4-E200-439F-AD8B-6C0C7F85A06B.jpeg

Edward

So the mannequin is great! Light but strong with a heavy metal base that you can adjust the height. Once I put it together I slid the jacket over one arm with no hand attached then slid an arm into the other sleeve and attached the arm at the shoulder then put the hands on. Great price for what it is! Now I need to give him a shirt and tie! Oh and when my Bancroft flighter shows up it’ll be the crown on top!
C99D7699-F8D2-43A1-9FFF-11879649C9F6.jpeg
CB25A5BA-7AFA-4229-A2BD-BA919C90EA80.jpeg
8776BE80-F92E-497C-B498-8982F40D7AFE.jpeg
61F38445-C188-4E1E-8613-0B9CC2154373.jpeg
28EE75D9-94C8-4CA0-952B-45A00E006864.jpeg
24796184-BADD-4F1C-B309-C343792B0E8F.jpeg
9F4D64FF-FFED-428E-8A07-A7F01676D904.jpeg
8441BCA5-28A6-4DE4-ADF4-7BDA6DBCD9CB.jpeg
B8C54569-401E-447A-8E4C-E41109132B66.jpeg

B-Man2

Very good! A tad darker and healthier looking! It’s like a soft protective coating! Just got him on my mannequin and about to post a review View attachment 21386
Ed
That's outstanding!......Big change, definitely looks like you stabilized the problem areas. That's some pretty good stuff...
Waiting for my Mannie Quinn ;) to be delivered today

Edward

Kind of wish it bent at the elbows. Much more challenging to put the jacket on while he’s wearing a shirt! Very awkward and took me longer because you have to dislocate the shoulder but it’s inside of a shirt sleeve as you’re trying to tuck it into the jacket sleeve! This is a size 42. Although it will fit smaller jackets I think if anyone is trying to put a size 38 on display with a shirt and tie underneath might have some difficulty but I think if you lay on the floor while doing so with this shoulders detached then put it on the display stand it could be done
2CC38536-78EE-43A7-A1C7-0F2E4D7BD404.jpeg
C5CD5426-7E21-44E9-8B9A-E87860C8E611.jpeg

Edward

I have vintage Australian theater made CBI patch and 5th Air forces patch on the way to display underneath with it and I may get a reproduction blood chit but for now he has his can of planters cocktail peanuts! Until his crusher arrives I thought I would throw on the cap And receivers!
80615E69-CD53-4973-85DA-22FF33C4456E.jpeg
FB877315-C3E2-4FC8-A71B-B1C252722D53.jpeg

Last edited:

B-Man2

Yeh.... The head looks like something out of “I ROBOT “ ;)
But the display is shaping up nicely!