• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first M 422 A WW2 named Flight Jacket

MLMcollector

Hello
Gentleman
Can anyone give me a approx. value of the USN M-422-A named Flight Jacket from WW2.
Overall excellent condition, maker is Fried Ostermann Co.
Named to a Navy Airman with VT-88 Torpedo Bomber group stationed on USS Yorkown in the Pacific Theather.
Jacket is part of a grouping of his items.
thanks
Mike

Attachments

• DSCN1308.JPG
    DSCN1308.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 368
  • DSCN1309.JPG
    DSCN1309.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 401
  • DSCN1316.JPG
    DSCN1316.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 397
  • DSCN1317.JPG
    DSCN1317.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 385
  • DSCN1311.JPG
    DSCN1311.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 393
  • DSCN1288.JPG
    DSCN1288.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 381

Pilot

Nice, whats the size?The larger the better.
Are the knits original to the jacket? Untouched is more valuable.
Important factors to evaluate the value.

MLMcollector

Hello
In answer to the questions.
I would say the size is about a medium say 38, this guy was about 20 yrs old and fit i am sure, and it's all original and Untouched.
The knits are all original to the jacket, leather is excellent no holes, cracks or worn areas, stitching is 100%, the collar is also Ex.
I would rate it a conservative excellent overall condition.
Original owner was a Navy Gunner and flew in the Grumman TBM "Avenger" Torpedo Bombers from the USS Yorktown Aircraft Carrier WW2 1944 in the Pacific Theater. His group was VT 88 named the Tormentors, see picture of his original jacket patch.
Any help in a value will be deeply appreciated.
thanks again
Michael

Attachments

• post-4755-0-93714900-1567266737.jpg
    post-4755-0-93714900-1567266737.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 328

Pilot

The guy on the photo has a ( CBI) shoulder patch/bullion...
Any trace of this patch?

B-Man2

Mike
The jacket is a very collectable jacket if you're into WWII flight jackets.
Here's the issue in a brief reply.
The value of the jacket is diminished by its size, a 38 would not be as valuable as say a larger size 44 or 46 simply because only a limited number of people can wear a 38. Now if you wanted to display the jacket, then the size doesn't matter that much, but the jackets value increases by having the entire grouping along with the jacket. Kind of a catch 22. You have a jacket with a great deal of provenance....once again that helps to increase the value of the jacket, but having the other parts of the grouping help to increase the value of the entire package. As a collector I think that breaking up a grouping is a sad thing to do....( Just my opinion).
OK so what's your jacket worth?..... Just the M-422A jacket in a size 38 by that maker with the unit patches....? My estimate would be around $500-$600 , If you found a guy the jacket would fit maybe a bit more. A collector would pay you a bit less without the grouping. Please don't take this to the bank, as its just my opinion. Others here with more knowledge in this area than myself may disagree or have a different opinion. I hope this helps out. Please feel free to join our little forum if you have an interest in these types of jackets. However, if you don't have any interest in these artifacts, then why not give one of the people here an opportunity to purchase it from you, if you are interested in a financial return on the item. I do not have interest in the jacket, but others here may.
Cheers
B-Man2

Last edited:

Stony

If you can prove it was used by an airman from the Yorktown, then you'll need to add $$$ to its value. Are the other items that belonged to him being sold seperately? If as a whole group, then it would have to be assessed based on what's in that group.