• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first jacket- look what I made! just like a big boy...

fishmeok

This is based off that horsehide civilian A-2 I bought. It's coming along well, but I messed up one of the sleeves a bit, put the inner seam too far forward. I look at it and see all the faults, but I have to remind myself it's the first time I've ever tried to make a jacket....
Cheers
Mark

DSCN4060.jpg

DSCN4065.jpg

DSCN4066.jpg

DSCN4071.jpg

DSCN4072.jpg

DSCN4076.jpg

DSCN4077.jpg

DSCN4078.jpg

DSCN4080.jpg

DSCN4082.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Wow! Self sufficient .... it looks good already, with custom fitting, and no waiting, or shipping costs.

And finally a use for that neighbour's annoying little dog.

better duck

Wow, really impressive what you have already achieved! Another Eastman or Chapman in the making - both Gary and John started in exactly the same way .... :cool:

Tim P

You clever so-and-so

Well done. a great effort. much trial and error or are you just able to measure, cut and go as it were?

fishmeok

Thanks guys- the hide is nothing special, a cheapie off e-bay that I re-colored a bit with some createx airbrush acrylic, it was originally too orange. I have some nicer stuff but I did not want to use it on my first jacket. The patterns went together fairly well, but I had some trouble with the sleeves, either I made them too big or didn't follow my pattern correctly, they are a little tight and one of the sleeve seams is turned a bit too far forward.

Still have to get the collar on, but that shouldn't be too hard. Hope to have this thing wrapped up this weekend.
Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

"Bring some samples"- that's assuming an awful lot Jeff, I still have to finish this one without horking it up :D

I guess this would be contract 00-0001A. Maybe "Archer Sportswear" (family name) would be a good maker i.d.

I plan to make myself an A-2 or or three, just to get good at it but there is NO way I would want to try and compete with Chapman. He did the research, collected the originals, spent countless hours making exact replicas of individual contracts, etc. I kind of like the idea of making a civilian coat, something I can tweak the design of and try out different things. For instance this jacket has Dubow epauletts and it will have Dubow pockets as well. I'd like make a belted back jacket at some point too.

But I have to finish this one first.
Cheers
Mark

art of a2

fishmeok said:
"Bring some samples"- that's assuming an awful lot Jeff, I still have to finish this one without horking it up :D

I guess this would be contract 00-0001A. Maybe "Archer Sportswear" (family name) would be a good maker i.d.

Magnificent. really well done!!

Jaydee

Wow! Nice work! First time you tried this? Looks to be leaps above what some of the tailors I know could accomplish.
-Jay

fishmeok

Coming along. I finished the pockets today, and tacked the collar on with the first row of stitching. The collar looks pretty big in the pics, but it still has another half inch of seam to give up where it meets the jacket body. It's going to be very A-2, including the useless tiny pockets, but with no windflap, collar snaps, or throat latch. I messed up one of the side panels and the jacket will be about 1.5" shorter than I originally planned, but I was making it a little long so this will probably just make it look more period correct, like an original Aero. Next step is to begin installing the liner and zipper.

Cheers
Mark

DSCN4084.jpg

DSCN4086.jpg

DSCN4089.jpg

DSCN4091.jpg

DSCN4094.jpg

fishmeok

I was pretty happy with the way this thing was going, until I sewed on the collar and the liner. Somehow I managed to make the collar almost 3 inches too long, the total neckhole diameter ended up around 22-23 inches...

I have no idea how I maged to do this, I even have a Goodwear Dubow in a 46 to get measurements from. After some cussing and irritation I pulled the whole thing back apart and tried to fix it. I shortened the collar and decreased the neck hole size by narrowing the front panels at the top. It worked OK, but now the epaulets are too far forward...

As with any project that gets taken apart 2 or 3 times it never goes back together as well as it did the first time. I managed to make the bottom tabs (where the waistknit ends) different widths (whch they weren't the first time around) and the zipper is not as even as I originally had it.

Also found a problem with the machine that was not as evident on the smaller practice pieces. When I sew at speed or through several layers the stitches get smaller, sometimes excessivly so. Some of it is me learning to manipulate the entire jacket on the table, but a lot of it is something out of whack on the machine. I tried the topstiching and this is where the problem becomes a huge issue. Have not found a solution for this yet.

I probably shouldn't be so irritated about all this, this IS the first time I have ever tried to make a jacket, but damnit, I want it to look like a Goodwear, and I want it to look that good NOW... :roll:
Cheers
Mark

This is what it looks like after fixing the collar. The waist knits are not sewn on all the way around yet.

DSCN4154.jpg

DSCN4155.jpg

DSCN4160.jpg

DSCN4161.jpg

This picture shows how badly the stitch length changes with leather thickness and speed- also the uneven tabs.

DSCN4158.jpg

art of a2

I still maintain you are doing a good job..

Don't be dis-hearted, Rome was built etc. Still eager to see what it looks like when its finally finished and hey; the next one will be better!

Jaydee

The things beautiful! Don't be so hard on yourself and so quick to point out faults. I have had some issued Flight Jackets with some whacky crooked stitching and other mistakes. Keep up the good work! :)