• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First B-3 Jacket from Simmons Bilt. Fit Advice Welcome!

kowalski

Well... if it were 75 years ago I wouldn't have to shell out $1100 for this jacket,.

certainly not, but you would have to be military airmen ... or have friends .. in themat;)
For that money we expect, we buy i have comfort , satisfaction ,gladness , but not dilemma and discomfort. :confused: imho

Dubpynchon

So if you order from Simmons Bilt and ask for a specific back length they won’t alter the front length to match, that’s ridiculous, it should be implied that you want the front longer as well. Sounds like they’re not paying their sheepskin cutter enough, maybe it’s a silent protest?

I’m sure you’ll get a refund or a new jacket from them, they won’t like the negative publicity on the forums.

Micawber

So if you order from Simmons Bilt and ask for a specific back length they won’t alter the front length to match, that’s ridiculous, it should be implied that you want the front longer as well. Sounds like they’re not paying their sheepskin cutter enough, maybe it’s a silent protest?

I’m sure you’ll get a refund or a new jacket from them, they won’t like the negative publicity on the forums.

I'm not going to get drawn into this again ....other than to say that we don't actually know if the front is shorter than the back or if, as Ken says, the body is tilted due to the pattern used. Unless we see specific photos of key measurements of the garment laid flat and in wear it's a job to say. My money is on Ken's views.

I wouldn't want to jump into conclusions before anything's confirmed from SB's side. As I said, the pictures have been sent to production and they'll determine the problem with the front. Hopefully I'll hear from them soon. So far they've been very accomodating and I hope we'll reach some sorts of solution for this.

Ken at Aero Leather

I'm not going to get drawn into this again ....other than to say that we don't actually know if the front is shorter than the back or if, as Ken says, the body is tilted due to the pattern used. Unless we see specific photos of key measurements of the garment laid flat and in wear it's a job to say. My money is on Ken's views.

The 19" zipper would suggest 3cm OFF the front length rather than added to the front length, why don't some of you guys with other makers B-3s measure theirs, Originals, LW, ELC, McCoy etc..........it might help Savage Dragon's case

Last edited:

Flyingplanner

My original 42 Regular Roughwear B3 has a 22" Zip and a back length of 25" from the bottom of the collar.
Original no name possibly Bernstein Size 46 has a 23" zip and a 27" back length.

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

Normal grading difference is max of 1/2" in length between sizes
On that basis the ELC's above suggest a 20 & 1/2" or 21" zipper in their 38" B-3s and a Bernstien 38" would have a 21" (Plus any extra length requested)
Do the maths.......................

Carl

My original 42 Regular Roughwear B3 has a 22" Zip and a back length of 25" from the bottom of the collar.
Original no name possibly Bernstein Size 46 has a 23" zip and a 27" back length.
You mention "no name possibly Bernstein" how did you come to that assumption please :)

Carl

Carl-The label is worn . I think it reads:
TYPE B-3
DWG. NO. 33H5595
A.C. ORDER42.18554-P
SIZE 46 R
PROPERTY
AIR FORCE US ARMY
thank you for replying , most kind . So what makes you think its a Bernstein contract ? im intrigued to know ! those Contracts ending in P have become a bone of contention with me !! :)

Flyingplanner

Carl, I only said possibly. I have an original Bernstein D1 that has the name in the label. The design of the label looks very similar apart from the no name. If anyone has any more firm evidence on these no name contracts I'm interested in their opinions, I haven't done a lot of research otherwise.

Carl

Carl, I only said possibly. I have an original Bernstein D1 that has the name in the label. The design of the label looks very similar apart from the no name. If anyone has any more firm evidence on these no name contracts I'm interested in their opinions, I haven't done a lot of research otherwise.
At a guess , your Bernstein D1 will have possibly a contract number of 535 AC 35229 . If its showing a contract number and not a purchase order number ?

Carl

D1 Label reads
TYPE D-1
SIZE LARGE
SPEC. NO 94-3084
ORDER NO. 42-22267
PROPERTY
AIR FORCE, U.S. ARMY
H BERNSTEIN& CO.

Thankyou for showing ! . That order number could have quite easily have come from that contract i quoted above

Carl

As far as i can assertain from my contract lists , Bernstein had only one contract for B3/A3 's

Flyingplanner

Carl, I appreciate that you are sensitive in publishing contract information given your past experience but what other manufacturers of B3's didn't put their name on the label. I do have a contract list that I found online for B3's 1941-43. I can't remember where it came from-it might have been from here. I'm reluctant to post it as it wasn't mine in the first place.