• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First B-3 Jacket from Simmons Bilt. Fit Advice Welcome!

Geeboo

I tend to agree with dmar. for custom made jkts, as far as the maker do all your required requirements/ measurements - it is done. For anything not mentioned by a customer ,the maker will do it with their conventional practice - it is fine with that. Because an add of 3cm in the front may be of utmost importance to you, while to the others it may not, the maker in this case is INDIFFERENT as he is dealing with many many requirements by diff customers. So, unless it is being specified, he is not obliged to follow your "assumed practice" of lengthening the front by proportion - another customer might just want to add 3cm at back but not in front.
If everything need to be specified, there may be a hundred details or measurements to be specified. So, those not specified are made according to the makers' practice. You may comment this tailor is not professional & yes he might be. But this thing ALWAYS happen in custom made things. If not specified, it would go to the maker's house practice - & always it is the source of dispute or changing around.
Word of friendly advice: custom making things do not make the perfection by once. A relationship need to be established with the tailor - it takes time for him to under your body & measurements & requirements AND it also takes time for you to understand the Strength and Weaknesses of the tailor - whether it be materials, metalware, pattern, sense of beauty, craftsmanship, stitching, good memory, peak season, etc,
There is a lesson to be paid. But the jacket looks just fine, though not to a "perfectionist" level as you might wish.
I almost made a "booklet" to my maker when ordering a jacket. with at least tens of photos & tens of remarks & about 2 dozen measurements & at least 100 wechat back & forth. Obviously not every maker will entertain this, I am lucky I find one. He made more than 30 jackets for me now, even so, mistakes sometimes still happen.

Last edited:

dmar836

I did misunderstand then. I thought from your original explanation that you specified extra back length as people generally complain about it hiking up(thus the butt freezing comments). I could imagine some wanting more in back but have never heard of a complaint that the front was too short and caused front freeze. Thus I assumed you thought adding just to the back would be a subtle custom change. Ken certainly understands your problem but to me it sounds like they just took your instructions literally. Sorry. I got by with a sole proprietorship for about 6 yrs with only one misunderstanding(drunk family member of a client making trouble) and zero disasters or bad feedback. I was lucky and this example of a simple difference in expectations reminds me of why I can’t see myself doing it again. I am a hobby fabricator and do custom jobs for friends but I loose money on every job, spend more time and more on materials than ever expected, and only work when friends impose on me - usually when they have nowhere else to go affordably. Guess it stands that they never complain!
Best,
Dave

Clark J

Anyone who has worn any pair of gen WW2 pants knows how high they ride over your waist and so when you see pics from then jackets look fine because of that.B-3s are short like people have said they where made to be worn with flight pants or a flight suit...I think also if you see a period pic the jackets look to a size or 2 bigger to go over layers of flight clothing.

Silver Surfer

they do if one leg is shorter then the other...or one leg longer then the other, hahahahaha. i vaguely remember a joke along those lines.

dmar836

Come on guys. Appeasement? Just because we have different opinions on what adding to the back is? If this means we are too stupid to understand extending the back automatically means extending the front then... well why ask for other's opinions here?
Dave

Micawber

Four pages!

The more this jacket is debated the more it is likely to sow even more seeds of doubt in the OP's mind. 75 years ago he'd have had to make do with what he was issued or could swap with his mates. If his flight gear kept him functioning over enemy territory he would have been too concerned with his duties, keeping his oxygen mask clear and looking out for threats while coping with fear and adrenaline to worry about much else - least of all if his jacket looked a bit short lol.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Thank you Steve;
I was really hoping that I wasn’t the only one who was thinking that 4 pages to deal with the length of a guys’ jacket, was just a little over the top.
But I do understand how it is when you get that first b-3 , you really do want everything to be just perfect

Micawber

Thank you Steve;
I was really hoping that I wasn’t the only one who was thinking that 4 pages to deal with the length of a guys’ jacket, was just a little over the top.

The best way to achieve perfection, or near as dammit, is to opt for full body measurements by an experienced tailor in person and go bespoke. But that's just not usually the way it goes with this repro flight jacket lark is it ;)

Four pages!

The more this jacket is debated the more it is likely to sow even more seeds of doubt in the OP's mind. 75 years ago he'd have had to make do with what he was issued or could swap with his mates. If his flight gear kept him functioning over enemy territory he would have been too concerned with his duties, keeping his oxygen mask clear and looking out for threats while coping with fear and adrenaline to worry about much else - least of all if his jacket looked a bit short lol.

Well... if it were 75 years ago I wouldn't have to shell out $1100 for this jacket, would I? For that kind of money, I am sure I am not the only one who wants everything to be perfect. And besides, all the opinions here can prove valuable for future B-3 first time owners. That's how "Googling" works, doesn't it. Topics don't appear out of the blue. Someone has to start asking the questions.

Thank you Steve;
But I do understand how it is when you get that first b-3 , you really do want everything to be just perfect
I welcome the different opinions. It shows how we all have different taste and perhaps this topic can help other who are on the fence about gettign a B3 carefully consider their measurements before committing to production.

Micawber

Well... if it were 75 years ago I wouldn't have to shell out $1100 for this jacket, would I? For that kind of money, I am sure I am not the only one who wants everything to be perfect. And besides, all the opinions here can prove valuable for future B-3 first time owners. That's how "Googling" works, doesn't it. Topics don't appear out of the blue. Someone has to start asking the questions.

Of course it is taken as read that you would not have had to have shelled out that kind of money back then. With respect we are talking about copies of GI issue garments. You were a lucky lad back in the day to obtain absolute perfect fit from the supply stores ...as can be witnessed by no end of period photos.

Southoftheborder

Have you actually been in touch with SB? Debs there is very understanding and I'm sure they will come to an accommodation. I would have asked the maker about it first.

Have you actually been in touch with SB? Debs there is very understanding and I'm sure they will come to an accommodation. I would have asked the maker about it first.
Yes. This is simply a fit advice forum.
After some considerations I have sent an email to SB to discuss the details
Debs is always great. She told me to take the measurements and the pics and she sent it to production. We'll see what can be done.

Micawber

Yes. This is simply a fit advice forum.
After some considerations I have sent an email to SB to discuss the details
Debs is always great. She told me to take the measurements and the pics and she sent it to production. We'll see what can be done.

Good luck:)