• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My favorite jacket - surprisingly not leather!

Enigma1938

Hey,
I have around 50 - 60 jackets with military background in my collection, jackets of all kind of branches and time periods between 30s and 80s, leather nylon cloth...
I like them all, some more some less but there's a jacket that stands out of them all, one that is incredibly comfortable, practical and keeps me warm in all temperatures between -10 (with layering) and +15 degrees Celsius.
It's the first pattern tanker jacket repro made by bronson.
I always thought that tanker jackets are highly usable and after a kind forum member offered his version here 2 years ago I had to have it.
As mentioned before It's super comfy and I just love that big front patch pockets - they take any kind of stuff and are super easy accessible. I know there were some controversies about that pockets even back then in ww2 lead to changing to slashhand warmer pockets early, some say stuff can easily fall out if you bent over but personally i had never issues with that and when I want to keep my hands warn there are my pants pockets or gloves.

As you can expect from me I did a few little changes like changing the bronson label to an original maker label, changing the brass zipper hardware to nickel one and doing the seams on the patches in the correct "fury" style instead of the zigzag pattern Bronson used.
I wore this jacket pretty often and it faded nicely over time - you can still see the original color on the windflap. I like it this way because originally this Repro was a little too greenish and shiny for my taste (not accurate at all) but now it looks like a original in color and appearance.
The material bronson used is great, no issues with that.
I know tanker jacket look better when they are greasy and abused but I just can't bring myself to this here - that's micawbers job ;-)

Here are a few pics:
20230425_180758.jpg
20230425_180913.jpg
20230425_180950.jpg
20230425_181140.jpg
20230425_181122.jpg

Last edited:

Micawber

Not a first model, but the weather has been perfect for my ATF fleece-lined tanker the past week. @Micawber

Ever since I discovered Willie & Joe, back when I was 14 or so, I'd always wanted a tanker. Tried a couple others that didn't really cut it, but the ATF fits my needs nicely.

I've been wearing my filthy dirty example piloting the ride on mower this very afternoon.

MauldinFan

Since "Fury" came out, it looks like anyone who makes winter combat jackets (other than At The Front) makes them as the Brad Pitt worn example*. A pal of mine was at a military collectible show and he saw over a dozen people wearing jackets that look exactly like this on the outside.
I love the new label, that looks great.

*As much as I like the vehicles in "Fury", I'm no fan of the uniforms, as a really annoying Brit guy decided he wanted to spotlight all the rare and unusual stuff he could stick in the film. That explains the RUSSIAN goggles Pitt wears on his helmet, as well as the pre-war riding pants and boots and a .45 caliber revolver, none of which would be normally seen that late in the war in Europe.

Enigma1938

Since "Fury" came out, it looks like anyone who makes winter combat jackets (other than At The Front) makes them as the Brad Pitt worn example*. A pal of mine was at a military collectible show and he saw over a dozen people wearing jackets that look exactly like this on the outside.
I love the new label, that looks great.

*As much as I like the vehicles in "Fury", I'm no fan of the uniforms, as a really annoying Brit guy decided he wanted to spotlight all the rare and unusual stuff he could stick in the film. That explains the RUSSIAN goggles Pitt wears on his helmet, as well as the pre-war riding pants and boots and a .45 caliber revolver, none of which would be normally seen that late in the war in Europe.
You're right with the stuff used in the movie. I'm not a fan of it at all, some story parts are just ridiculous (the beginning Rambo scene when pitt kills the german officer, or the final crossroads scene - hundreds of war proved SS soldiers acting like complete idiots and are killed from an indestructible tank / his crew...etc...) Well that's just Hollywood not more not less.
As SPR came out everyone walked around with a Rangers patched M41....
Personally I haven't seen another Fury tanker here around, and even when - I don't care. If you buy a common jacket in the mall you can be sure there are dozens people around wearing the same jacket - so what....
I love my tanker version just the way it is.

Chandler

Yes and that's what I meant with ridiculous among other things in this movie
Okay, I thought you were calling them that -- and maybe they were presented that way in the flick, but I probably glossed that over because I knew better.

All that said, I enjoyed some of the combat sequences in Fury, but I definitely feel it was a little abstract with the truth of what was happening in 1945.