My cover version of Jeremiah's BK....

Discussion in 'Jacket Art / Patches - Original and Reproduction' started by Micawber, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Micawber

Micawber Well-Known Member

In the short while I've had one of Platon's seal Dubow's I've worked it hard. Purchasing it new via Fleabay was a bit of a spur of the moment thing as, following the hoo haa on here about them, I was curious to see what they were actually like. I have no complaints about the Dubow other than my expanding frame meant it was initially a tad tight around my 21st Century middle age spread. Verdict = good, nay, excellent value.

Many moons ago I was involved in the antique restoration trade and have dabbled on and off ever since. I've restored / stripped / redyed / refinished a number of leather artifacts including, years ago, some of the leather flight jackets, helmets and other collectables that I've owned or been through my hands.

I followed Jeremiah's Onward To A Better BK thread and have had itchy fingers ever since. Seeing the Dubow was seal over russet - and I like russet - I thought I'd have a bash to see what I could come up with. Some are going to hate this I know, but I can live with that, one man's meat is another man's poison and live and let live and all that.

As was.... Resize 01.jpg Resize 02.jpg
    Resize 04.jpg

bseal and jeremiah like this.
  2. Micawber

Stripping back to base coat russet. Shown here airing to let the solvent evaporate. Small test run of dye under the collar. Resize 05.jpg

Flightengineer likes this.
  3. Micawber

Dye 1st coat test on the epaulet - still some seal in the grain here. Resize 06.jpg

jeremiah likes this.
  4. Micawber

Further stripping. First full test coat dye drying in the sun. I tend to blend with solvent as I go which helps carry the colour into the hide. Looks ghastly and a lot more tan / yellow here than it actually was whereas in actual fact it was fairly muted. Resize 05a.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Flightengineer and jeremiah like this.
  5. Micawber

Further toning..

Resize 07.jpg

jeremiah likes this.
  6. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

damn, looks nice to me. i am going to do same on an aero that i recently purchased from nahua. did ya use acetone to strip the seal off, and are ya dying with thinned fiebers oil based dye?

7. Micawber

Slowly taking on the hue I'm looking for... Resize 10.jpg

jeremiah, Tommy and D97x7 like this.
  8. Micawber

Thank you:)

Yes on both counts but with the addition of some of my home brew concoctions [eye of newt, skin of toad, wool of bat, hemlock etc etc] ;););)

bseal likes this.
  9. Micawber

Managed to have another session with it today. Looks glossy in patches but it's still wet here and there... Resize 08.jpg

10. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Nicely done Steve.
    Looking forward to seeing you wearing the end result.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Micawber likes this.
  11. STEVE S.

STEVE S. Well-Known Member

Very nice!

Micawber likes this.
  12. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Splendid, nice work!

Micawber likes this.
  13. Brettafett

Brettafett Well-Known Member

Wow, looks great.

14. silvio76

silvio76 Active Member

Congratulations, great job!

15. jeremiah

jeremiah Well-Known Member

That looks absolutely fantastic. Well done.

Micawber likes this.
  16. Micawber

Thank you Jeremiah, that's quite a compliment Sir :)

17. Micawber

Right, I think it's just about there but I'm having real trouble getting my phone to capture the true colours as it and the white sinter sunlight is tending to give the images more of a tan / orange rather than reddish hue. I have attempted to take a few photos in different locations but I'm still not happy then so may just have to use a proper camera at some point - shock horror!;)

I have added some darkening here and there, especially to the collar fold where I've seen originals hold a stain due to hair dressing, friction etc. I've done inside the pockets, flaps and wind flap. It's had a coat of Oakleys leather conditioner [similar to Renapur] and buffed. This leaves a slight waxy finish which I personally like as it has a bit of a rain repellent quality. The hide is softer and somewhat more flexible now. Resize Comp 05.jpg Resize Comp 07.jpg Resize Comp 08.jpg Resize Comp 09.jpg Resize Comp 10.jpg Resize Comp 11.jpg Resize Comp 12.jpg Resize Comp 13.jpg

18. Micawber

A few more. Resize Comp 01.jpg Resize Comp 02.jpg Resize Comp 03.jpg

Steve27752 likes this.
  19. Micawber

20. Micawber

As it was new in the box ...not that long ago. Some will say it's spoiled and question why I have done what I have done. My answer is simply - because I can :D;)

After all that I may pass it on if it looks like I can't get back to the shape I was when I had a bit more thatch on top!

Resize New.jpg

bseal likes this.