• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Belstaff Trialmaster

mat777

Hi everyone,

I thought you might like to see some pics of my vintage Trialmaster :D

Of late 1960s origin and last worn by Dad when he rode to the 1975 TT on his Velocette, he binned it complete with badges in circa 1977 after selling the last motorbike of his misspent youth, and never expected to see it again. Ah, the wastefulness :( . His parents, recognising that 20 year olds sometimes make stupid decisions, fished it out and saved it until 2007, when they presented it, dirty, minging and mouldering, to him as a symbolic gesture upon hearing he'd bought a midlife crisis motorbike. He was a bit surprised to see it again!

It then sat in the garage festering even more until my decision at the start of 2013 to get it restored and wear it, having seen that underneath the grime its a bloody nice jacket with a great history. In the end, we decided on the company that advertises "wax jacket restoration" in the Old Bike Mart newspaper. I think they charged £60 for it.... or was it £120? It was definitely one of the 2 figures but I cant remember off the top of my head. Either way, much much cheaper than buying a new one with no history or patina, and its a really top rate job they've done - miles better than I could ever have achieved at home. Its very comfy to wear, snug fitting and nice and warm. What with the Belstaffs being back in fashion at the minute, it gets quite a lot of attention too (mostly from pretentious hipster fashion types who want to know how I've "made such a cool distressed finish so it looks like an old one" :roll: )

Hopefully it will last another 40 years and can be passed down to any kids I end up having!

My only annoyance is the inability to find replacement patches for it, as the originals disintegrated during restoration. The Velocette ones are available but are slightly different in design, but the Rudge ones are non-existent.

Anyway, here's some "before" pictures:

P1020773.jpg

P1020766.jpg

P1020767.jpg

P1020764.jpg

And some "after" ones!

null_zps7001f6f6.jpg

null_zps427a8bf0.jpg

null_zps4b62237a.jpg

null_zps31a15eee.jpg

null_zpsf8c44431.jpg

PADDY_M

Fantastic jacket!! Why on earth didn't the restorers remove the patches first and then restitch them once the jacket was repaired and rewaxed? (Maybe I've missed something?).

Still... Fab jacket!! Enjoy :)

dmar836

Old thread, I know but it is amazing how many people work on old things as a profession and yet have no common sense as to nostalgia or true preservation.
Thinking of cloning one of these myself. Great jacket!
Dave