• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My bag inspired by AN-6505-1 kit bag

Flightengineer

Hi guys,
For a long time I wanted an aviator kit bag, but with a shoulder strap and not as big as the original. Yes, many here have good SOF small version but it also too big for my daily use. Then there introdused wonderful bags by InMemorySportswear, but I was not satisfied with the green color (I always wanted sand), location of the inside pockets...and with too high price for me to be honest.

A month ago I met a nice girl Mila, her hobby (and small business) is design and making canvas bags. In addition to the fact that she has golden hands and a faithful eye, she is also the beauty - and the flight attendant of one our airline.

After this meeting, I realized that I would finally create my dream bag. I drew a drawing, together we looked at tons of photos of originals and repros, and Mila suggested which type of sling and tape I should find to make bag look correct. It was not so easy as I thought. I also bought two Talon repro zippers.

As the result I got an everyday bag that pretends the AN-6505-1. It has dimensions of usual everyday man bag 40 x 28 x 12 cm or 15.7 x 11 x 4.7 inch

That's what Mila made.

Other part I did myself with a great pleasure.

My big thanks to Paul @zoomer for his help in choosing the correct font for the AN-6505 bag lettering. He kindly helped me and sent me the correct font that I used.

The AAF stamp was applied with a real stamp, as was done in the 40s, and not with silk-screen printing as on modern repros.

The bag was artifically aged, quite a bit. The rest will appear in the process of wearing.

When I first started this project I wanted to draw and sew a squadron patch onto the bag. However, when I finished, I changed my mind. Maybe later, but even without it, I like this bag.

I also want to thank @Cocker and @Greg Gale for their help in clarifying about WW2 AAF service numbers rools.

Thanks for watching.

Flightengineer

Those would sell like hotcakes...

I see a potential business opportunity there Dmitry ;)

Just now Mila and I came up with the same idea. We'll think. The production of this one my bag turned out to be quite expensive due to the fact that the zips and other parts were purchased piece by piece.
If we get the cost at a reasonable price - maybe I'll start accepting pre-orders for this bags :)

jack31916

Just now Mila and I came up with the same idea. We'll think. The production of this one my bag turned out to be quite expensive due to the fact that the zips and other parts were purchased piece by piece.
If we get the cost at a reasonable price - maybe I'll start accepting pre-orders for this bags :)
Sounds like a sound plan !