• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Aero 21996 quest BR-GW-Aero...??

Curahee

I'm in the "search and moan" stage of my new quest. I seriously got the bug for one of these jackets, and need help
where to get my fix ;)

The object of my desire is this:

TYPE A-2
DWG.NO.30H 1415
A.C CONTRACT
NO. W535 ac-21996
PROPERTY
AIR FORCE, U.S. ARMY
AERO LEATHER CLO.CO
BEACON N.Y.

Any pics, suggestions, why this or that company and why not (feel free Rothenhahn). I was thinking about this one from
Buzz Rickson

img55342609.jpg

A

Anonymous

Goodwear without a doubt will be the most accurate copy. John has two different seal horsehides which would be accurate- a dark brown and an almost black color which is like one I used to own. You WON"T get 8" epaulets and a bizarre fit like you might with other companies. A Goodwear will be scary in its accuracy- the one I had even aged like the original that preceded it. The construction of the Goodwear will also be exact- not even Buzz captures all the nuances of an actual Aero as well. I'm not at my computer at home but if you go to the Goodwear site I think John has some good photos. The Aero pattern is one of the first John deconstructed and he's got this one down- you can't go wrong if you send him accurate measurements.

A

Anonymous

I have a Goodwear Aero in English Pub Coffee(Steerhide), the cut, fit are perfect. Liner, knits, and zip all first class. I dont think you could go wrong with one of those. Now that Horse Hide is avail. I agree with Jeff, its a no brainer.

greyhound52

Having had the BR 21996 and compared it to the GW I would go GW. I sold the BR a few months back to fund a Dubow GW in the espresso hide. The hide on the BR while nice was very stiff and heavy (much more than my BR RW 23880 model) so I was a bit disappointed when I got it. Also compare the price 880 dollars vice about 1400 for the BR. Don't think you get an upgrade in quality for that additional money. Plus John can give you a custom fit.

A

Anonymous

I'll jump on the bandwagon and vote GW. The 21996 (original) was one of the most stylish contracts and those that are still around consistently display great character. But a GW repro/copy really should be constructed of horsehide imo ... I can't imagine a worn 21996 minus the classic red undertones.

Curahee

It's early, but 'seems the vote is out, I 've been watching all the the above posters on this (and other) forum and from what
I can gather JC's is the way to go....I have been in contact with him before...somehow it didn't come to an order...but this
time I will go through. Thing is I like the guy, but all this "groupie" cheering (almost like a cult) has put me off. Besides he's
an administrator here so there could be a conflict of interests...anyway....I'm about to pull my wallet...need my fix..and bad
too :mrgreen:

And oh, Rotenhahn you know Stalin was one of the bad guys? even Bush wouldn't shoot vets coming back alive

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Curahee said:
TYPE A-2
DWG.NO.30H 1415
A.C CONTRACT
NO. W535 ac-21996
PROPERTY
AIR FORCE, U.S. ARMY
AERO LEATHER CLO.CO
BEACON N.

Here's The Few version this year, in dark brown, double coat, analine finish.

08few8007.jpg

Before you all tell me that it's shiny, remember that Bevan chose this hide for his stunning, pre-war, 38 Aero. I'll just go and steal his picture ....

Bevan38Aero.jpg

A

Anonymous

Curahee :
And oh, Rotenhahn you know Stalin was one of the bad guys? even Bush wouldn't shoot vets coming back alive
Joe Stalin's one of my heroes! You and I and all of us definitely wouldn't be blowholing on the internet in English if he and the Red Army hadn't killed 80% of the Germans who died in WW2 and done the lion's share of the land fighting in Europe! Joe Stalin had balls- he stayed in Moscow when it looked like the Germans might take it- he didn't hop on Red Air Force One like the little bitch who runs the show here!

A

Anonymous

Thing is I like the guy, but all this "groupie" cheering (almost like a cult) has put me off

It's like you're put off by all the people saying buy the Mercedes instead of the Lexus!

A

Anonymous

Curahee said:
It's early, but 'seems the vote is out, I 've been watching all the the above posters on this (and other) forum and from what
I can gather JC's is the way to go....I have been in contact with him before...somehow it didn't come to an order...but this
time I will go through. Thing is I like the guy, but all this "groupie" cheering (almost like a cult) has put me off. Besides he's
an administrator here so there could be a conflict of interests...anyway....I'm about to pull my wallet...need my fix..and bad
too :mrgreen:

I dont think of us as groupies, but if you like huge eps, bell hop short jackets, crap knits and zippers that stopworking (all just tip pf the A-2 iceberg) then dont listen to the groupies!

Curahee

Oh but I do listen to the "groupies" I just wait and see what happens for a while before I dive in.
Rotenhahn do you have any pictures of your 21996 and of you in it? I know JC has some nice ones on his website but I would like to see some others besides those.