• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

musty B-15 jacket

Jon S

I apologize if this subject has been covered to death, but I received a very nice but musty smelling B-15 jacket today and was wondering if I could get some input as to how I should get the smell out. I'd rather not wash/dry clean it if at all possible.

Thanks,
Jon

robrinay

Any advice here is freely given but it's up to you to 'take it or leave it' - do your own risk assessment and decide - if you think following it might harm the jacket then don't do it!
Always start with the gentlest approach and if that doesn't work move up the scale incrementally. In this case, 'air it' as a first step. Lie it, well supported on a drier (rotary or rack type) in a shady spot outside when the breeze is gentle. Avoid too much direct sunlight which will fade the cloth unevenly. I've found this works with clean but musty coats I've bought in Charity Shops. It won't remove stronger smells associated with years of sweat. However the easiest way to 'air it' is to wear it.
If that doesn't work you could try 'Febreeze' or a similar product ( and then airing to lighten the smell of Febreeze).
Stage three (3a), if required - Some swear by placing the jacket in a large plastic bag and sprinkling with Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate - Bicarbonate of Soda), leaving for a day and then vacuuming off the powder. This stage (3b) can be linked with freezing the jacket in the bag in a domestic deep freeze.

The above methods are relatively harmless and should be tried first before trying 'tougher' methods you'll find advised on the web - like steaming, ozone treatment, professional cleaning, hand washing, adding a cup of distilled vinegar to the wash etc.

Jon S

Thanks very much for the reply. Your suggestions are very low impact and I'll give them a try. Since I'm not dealing with sweat odor, I think your suggestions will work. I'll start with the airing out first and hopefully that'll do it. Again, thanks for taking the time.