• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Music for Leather Flight Jackets

London Cabbie

BC0D20F5-B80A-4CCB-8433-5B803A7B39B9.jpeg

dinomartino1

Les Brown and His Band of Renown had been performing the song, but were unable to record it because of the 1942–44 musicians' strike. When the strike ended the band with Doris Day as vocalist had a hit record with the song, Day's first #1 hit in 1945. The song's release coincided with the end of the war in Europe and became the unofficial homecoming theme for many veterans.

Flightengineer

I was in that clip together with a lot of friends. Check out the original A-2 my friend (the Oliver Hardy look alike) was wearing. Clip was taken in 1983 in a hangar at Gilze Rijen Airbase and took us 3 days of filming :)

Jack, I once found this clip after you mentioned it in one thread about this jacket.
This Dutch band Stars on 45 was very popular here in the mid-80s. I had no idea that the girls from Stars on 45 were so cute until I saw this clip. I really like the clip, maybe not everyone has the correct uniform, but the clip is excellent.

Smithy

I agree entirely on the Swing/Big Band stuff for WWII era as it's a no brainer and I'm a big fan of all of that.

Interestingly enough from a modern perspective I know/have known a few jet jockeys/knucks and they all seem to love Motley Crue's "Kickstart My Heart", they all seem to plonk it on at parties or put it in cockpit vids when they're fooling around. I should qualify that that's RNZAF and RAAF guys, no idea whether RAF/USAF/USN, etc, etc do the same.