• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MUSETTE BAG

Grant

After seeing pics of musette bags hung off jeeps and tanks, decided why not off my two wheel ride?

bag.jpg

Officer Dibley

That’s a lot of rubber wrapped around the frame Grant. Crash proofing ?! :D

Great idea for the musettes but they go for a lot of money in the UK so not practical here unless using repro ones
Dave

Grant

Hey Dave, the wrapping are old bike inner tubes covering the logos on the frame making it less of a temptation for bike thieves. It's an old trick that bike messengers used to use. Geez, wish I would've known musette bags are expensive in the UK. I just sold a box of them to a NYC vintage dealer.

Lorenzo_l

After seeing pics of musette bags hung off jeeps and tanks, decided why not off my two wheel ride?

View attachment 20160
That's a bad-ass looking fixie Grant, what with the MASSIVE chain and musette bag as added touches of style. Sounds like the right vehicle to move about freely and fast in busy NYC. And the chain, further to its main purpose of locking the bike, could also be seen as a potential weapon to deter pople trying to mess up with you?

Officer Dibley

Hey Dave, the wrapping are old bike inner tubes covering the logos on the frame making it less of a temptation for bike thieves. It's an old trick that bike messengers used to use. Geez, wish I would've known musette bags are expensive in the UK. I just sold a box of them to a NYC vintage dealer.

Aaargh, i’d have had several Grant !

Interesting on the bike. I dabbled as a messenger when younger in Calgary in the early 1990’s. Some people hid their bike names which made people know they were worth stealing ! I had a cheap frame but expensive components. And a freakin big lock like yours ! Lol
Dave

Stony

I like the musette bag Grant. They hold a lot of stuff and the little side pocket is great for a cell phone, sunglasses, etc.

"Great idea for the musettes but they go for a lot of money in the UK so not practical here unless using repro ones"

I know a guy that has a whole footlocker full of original mussettes. Some early ones too, which can be pricy in the U.S.

Grant

With my old knees, riding fix gear is a thing of the past - switched to single speed years ago to save the wear and tear.
The chain unfortunately's not a style thing, but a multi functional tool; deters bike thieves AND serves as a taxi driver attention getter! Again something learned from the bike messenger brethren (who call me grandpa!).