• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MUSETTE BAG

Grant

The common musette bag makes a great stuffer of things when getting away for the weekend. The different manufacturer stampings on the strap and bag are pretty cool on this one. I usually stuff an A-2 in mine.

Musette.jpg
MusetteII.jpg

Dr H

I’m seriously considering one to carry the laptop to work.
I sold a Mk VII gas mask bag recently as it was just too narrow/short to fit it comfortably.

Cocker

Thinking about one for work too, something to carry the laptop, a bottle of water, lunch and a couple other small things. What are the best repros out there?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Dr H

Thinking about one for work too, something to carry the laptop, a bottle of water, lunch and a couple other small things. What are the best repros out there?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Lots of Chinese repros on EBAY, but can’t comment on quality.

B-Man2

Dr H
I have one so if you’d like some close ups and a look inside let me know.

Dr H

Dr H
I have one so if you’d like some close ups and a look inside let me know.

Yes please B-Man2, is the interior roomy enough for a standard (old, white polycarbonate) 13” MacBook and how true to colour is the image of the brown leather panel on the flap?
Thanks
Ian

B-Man2

3FBFC0DF-C7F5-424D-A622-0F856BE8E112.jpeg
DA86E6F1-44F1-4F70-8A18-FB2708A74A51.jpeg
F4ED147B-00C0-4644-B772-00A52412BD21.jpeg
08855E90-FF64-4222-A603-6768F3021E23.jpeg
A76DD581-7A1F-44F5-A220-BA02095175F6.jpeg
D0EB1E0C-EF6F-4C82-B0D5-F51539605236.jpeg
C432F3E8-D0B1-4D0D-8D9B-3E1CD0FC3B4F.jpeg
Hi Grant
Not trying to hijack your thread just a quick reply to Dr H.
It would be a just a tad to small for the 13 inch Mac book . However , there is a Chinese repro of the musette bag that is oversized that would handle the Mac book and an A2 all in one. I’ve attached photos of the inside and outside of both of them taken outside so you can see the true color of the leather. I’ve also compared the size of both to an original WWII musette bag so you can judge for yourself which size would best fit your needs.
Cheers
B-Man2

Grant

Thomas, keep a look out for an original; they can often be had for about the same or less than a repro.

Thomas Koehle

Thomas, keep a look out for an original; they can often be had for about the same or less than a repro.

Grant thx for the hint!

I already have about 20 of them in my collection - full OD versions, the rubberized ones sometimes called”airborne musette” and Standard ones but do not want to take them out for usage

Stony

I have an original, but my everyday mussette is a repop I bought from Hayes Otopalik years ago. He might still make them and they are really nice.

EmergencyIan

I’ve only owned originals. As long as they aren’t the rubberized version, they hold very well all these years later. For a long time, I used one as a messenger bag here in NYC.

- Ian

Garylafortuna

At The Front just got their USMC Officers Field Bag back in stock. A little larger than the Army Musette, it should be big enough to accommodate a 13" laptop. Home grown. Can also
be configured as a backpack.

Bombing IP

If you want something a little different I can recommend the CANADIAN 1899 PATTERN OLIVER VALISE from WPG a very well made bag that would be perfect for storing an A2 .

We have painstakingly recreated a museum quality replica of the very rare canvas and leather valise for the 1899 Canadian Oliver Pattern Equipment. This company also has Mk VII gas mask bags .

WPG has acquired a large supply of original of Mk VII bags, long thought to be nearly extinct. These bags appear to be in unissued condition, although some show minor corrosion of metal parts $35.

They also have repro WW2 Australian bags .

Read more: http://onlinemilitaria.net/products...VEN-Indiana-Jones-Bag-ORIGINAL/#ixzz5V4S18khO

Read more: http://onlinemilitaria.net/products/5636-Canadian-1899-Pattern-Oliver-Valise/#ixzz5V4RYhuRF

BIP

Last edited:

EmergencyIan

I own two originals. I’ve owned several over the years. I used a couple of them as messenger bags, for my daily commute, here in NYC for several years. The side pocket is great for a smart phone and charger. The inside middle pockets are pretty good for a compact umbrella. I found that the back outside compartment was good for light raincoat or poncho.

The only issues I’ve ever had with originals is with the rubberized versions. Most of the ones that I experienced, over a decade ago, had a dry rotted rubber membrane, which rendered those particular bags useless.

- Ian

EDIT: I should have read through the thread before posting. I didn’t remember that I had posted almost the same thing back in July. Oops.