• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mould: Is it Harmful?

SteveN

Gents,

I've recently relocated from the sunny land down under to Singapore, along with my collection of leather jackets. Sadly, it's very warm and humid here, and it's having it's toll on my collection. To add to the trouble, I live in a British army barracks built in 1936, not the most airtight building around you might imagine. I've already had to toss one pair of nice shoes that went into the closet a bit damp. What's a bit more worrisome is my vintage leather jackets. Knowing this was going to be a problem I have them hung in rooms, and as many as can fit in my home office, which is air-conditioned when I'm in there, but despite all that, there's still green & white mould growing on the others.

I've searched through the forums and found surprisingly little on the topic. The most useful suggestions I did find are:
  • Use Lexol PH
    Store the jackets with a de-humidifier and constant air circulation
    Wipe down the jacket and sun it for a few days
Does anyone have any other techniques? I managed to sun the M-422A before the rainy season really hit, but for the next six month we have, literally, about 4 hours of sunshine a day, if we're lucky. If we're not lucky, we'll have a rain that lasts for 36 hours.

I've seen a few posts by people that have restored jackets that were covered in mould, so wonder if perhaps I should 'give up' and just let the mould grow until I return to a drier climate and/or send the jackets to some place that they can be stored a bit better. Does anyone know if the green / white mould will cause any permanent damage?

Regards,
- SteveN

Andrew

Steve I have similar issues in Queensland. Long time VLJ sage Kiwi David Brown used to advise keeping the humidity below 62%, and he used a dehumidifier in his storage room. I can't do that so I just try to regularly check all my items, wipe off any mould I find and try to keep them all well ventilated. I also keep one of those cups filled with crystals that removes moisture from the air in any boxes gear is stored in.

Just don't let the mould sit around on any leather, sun and dehimidified air and try to keep it dry.

Skip

As Andrew states prevention is the better option by trying to keep down the humidity, but in a location like Singapore almost impossible unless you have 24hr aircon.

A leather jacket i hadn't worn for some time, years, developed mould spots. So I sought advice. Apparently most normal mould killers only kill the top visible part of the mould not the root. e.g. if you use bleach on mould in your bathroom it will die but it comes back in time. the solution i found that works is clove oil, diluted. The mixture is one quarter of a teaspoon in 500ml of water in a spay bottle, shake and spray on the affected part leave for a few minutes and rub/polish off. If the mould is particularly mature you may need to do it a few times, doing small doses at a time.

It worked for mine as they don't reappear, I also use it on wooden furniture and works a treat. The clove oil has to be pure (100%) nothing else added.

Before you get carried away though, not sure how it would react with a leather that has a coating, so try on a small part first, like under the arm and leave for a day to see what happens.

Good luck with it

Skip

Sorry should have mentioned that clove kills mould roots as well, and yes mould is harmful, its eating you leather.