• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moth Wars

Greg Gale

Once upon a time, in a wardrobe far far away, I used to have a pair of Indy pants made of cavalry twill. Of course, I didn't wear them very often. A year or so ago I opened the wardrobe, took out the pants and they were like after being hit by flak. After I recovered from the heart attack I threw the trousers into the trash, cleaned and checked every other jacket, and cleaned the wardrobe. Interestingly enough, nothing else was damaged...

Since then, I'm paranoid about moths, and when I see one flying around in the apartment I go after it like a madman. I have lavender moth repellents in the wardrobe, actual lavender, some pipe tobacco, and 2 sticky moth traps.

What are your recommendations to keep those bastards off my precious jackets?

Skyhawk

Those pesky critters! I have had my own run ins with them. I laughed when I read that because I too chase them down in a panic when I see them. I'm running around shutting doors, cursing the moths........ My neighbors probably think I'm a nut.

I hear that Cedar is good to keep them away. I have heard that only a small percentage of moths actually eat wool. Don't know the specifics on that one. I read it on a forum at some point.

Best of luck!
-Jay

johnwayne

Cedar is good and lavender should do the trick but also might be worth investing in some suit/jacket bags which places like Ikea etc do reasonably cheaply or I’m sure you’ll get online. I keep all my jacket wrapped up in such!

falcon_ib

I'm fighting my own war with moths right now... they were halfway through a suit before I even noticed!

This product is working pretty well - I bought a few and put them up around the house and in closets: https://www.amazon.com/Pheromone-Attractant-Insecticides-Greener-Mindset/dp/B076XGMHX4

They lure moths in with "premium female moth pheromones" and then the glue keeps them there. Talk about a booby trap.... Strikes me as a little cruel but pretty effective!

Evan

Greg Gale

Evan, this is what I also got. Now just waiting to see if there is anything inside. Problem is that it catches the male moths, not the egg laying females. So it's more of an indicator of their presence rather than a solution to the problem. Of course it seriously weakens the moth gene pool, and may leave the ladies with sub-par DNA, but I'm afraid that's not going to be enough for my jackets' longevity.

Thomas Koehle

Pheromon-trapsfor the male moths - small wasps to Infiltrate the motheggs

the wasps come on a Piece of cardboard and the description says those Little guys search out for the moth-eggs (moth lay them on different spots) put their larves in there and they kill the mothlarves

no more motheggs there those wasps (These guys are really tiny) simple die RIP

i had an Invasion also and fought them with those 2 methods - seems it worked

Garylafortuna

The answer to moth infestation problems at all stages; eggs, larvae, adults, etc., is ozone. Ozone generators can be purchased from under fifty dollars to several hundred dollars for commercial units. Check Amazon. Some years ago I bought a woolen sweater from a thrift shop. What a horror story that was. Lost about half of all my woolen clothing. Those same little critters are also addicted to silk. Ozone works but must be used with care. It is best to keep out of the room or closet where the machine is running.

christophec

Generaly Moths don't like "strong" smells (cedar, lavender, cinnamon, clove, ...).
I am making my own soap. My prefered recipe is with cinnamon powder and clove essential oil. It smells like christmas ginger bread. The fresh soap needs 6 weeks to cure, the longer the better. I put the soap bars in my wardrobe, where my woolen items are stored (jackets, jumpers, gloves, socks...). It smells good, Wife is happy as my soap bars are hidden, Moths are kept away...
Thrift shop story : oh yes, in French "faire entrer le loup dans la bergerie". Best is to offer a few hours trip in the deep freezer to the thrift shop wool item.
My wife bought once a purse in Marocco, made of boiled wool. What a mess : it was infested with moths but hopefully it was in a plastic bag and damages were limited to this item

Last edited:

Steve27752

Generaly Moths don't like "strong" smells (cedar, lavender, cinnamon, clove, ...).
I am making my own soap. My prefered recipe is with cinnamon powder and clove essential oil. It smells like christmas ginger bread. The fresh soaps needs 6 weeks to cure, the longer the better. I put the soap bars in my wardrobe, where my woolen items are stored (jackets, jumpers, gloves, socks...). It smells good, Wife is happy as my soap bars are hidden, Moths are kept away...
Thrift shop story : oh yes, in French "faire entrer le loup dans la bergerie". Best is to offer a few hours trip in the deep freezer to the thrift shop wool item.
My wife bought once a purse in Marocco, made of boiled wool. What a mess : it was infested with moths but hopefully it was in a plastic bag and damages were limited to this item
Welcome to VLJ.
By way of an introduction, why not post a bit about yourself here.
http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/forums/member-bios.21/

Edward

The answer to moth infestation problems at all stages; eggs, larvae, adults, etc., is ozone. Ozone generators can be purchased from under fifty dollars to several hundred dollars for commercial units. Check Amazon. Some years ago I bought a woolen sweater from a thrift shop. What a horror story that was. Lost about half of all my woolen clothing. Those same little critters are also addicted to silk. Ozone works but must be used with care. It is best to keep out of the room or closet where the machine is running.

I wouldn’t use Ozone generators if you have vintage gear with rubber such as lifevests, receiver headsets, oxygen masks, Bailout bottles with rubber tubes etc as ozone causes gas out and hardens the rubber faster than sunlight! Even new modern rubber! a friend had a rubber gasket harden and crack due to his wife used an ozone machine in the house. So I would not recommend ozone around rubber and plastic

Flightengineer

I wouldn’t use Ozone generators if you have vintage gear with rubber such as lifevests, receiver headsets, oxygen masks, Bailout bottles with rubber tubes etc as ozone causes gas out and hardens the rubber faster than sunlight! Even new modern rubber! a friend had a rubber gasket harden and crack due to his wife used an ozone machine in the house. So I would not recommend ozone around rubber and plastic

Maybe it is dangerous for vintage rubber items only. I used several times ozone generator in my car and also for remove the smell and for disinfect some old MA-1 type jackets that cannot be washed. There was no damage rubber or plastic parts.

Pilot

Whenever I buy a "risky/critical jacket" it goes in a dedicated deepfreezer (-24degC) for 10-14 days...This kills it all.
After that, regular moth balls...replaced every 3-4 weeks...Never had an issue...and I have a lot (never listed here since not US ... but WW2 cotton/fleece/wool memerabilia )...