Moth Wars

Discussion in 'Care / Preservation' started by Greg Gale, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Greg Gale

Greg Gale Well-Known Member

Once upon a time, in a wardrobe far far away, I used to have a pair of Indy pants made of cavalry twill. Of course, I didn't wear them very often. A year or so ago I opened the wardrobe, took out the pants and they were like after being hit by flak. After I recovered from the heart attack I threw the trousers into the trash, cleaned and checked every other jacket, and cleaned the wardrobe. Interestingly enough, nothing else was damaged...

Since then, I'm paranoid about moths, and when I see one flying around in the apartment I go after it like a madman. I have lavender moth repellents in the wardrobe, actual lavender, some pipe tobacco, and 2 sticky moth traps.

What are your recommendations to keep those bastards off my precious jackets?

Steve27752 and geoff.adams.96 like this.
  2. Persimmon

Persimmon Well-Known Member

Have you thought about shooting them

Skyhawk likes this.
  3. Greg Gale

All the time...can't seem to be able to hit them with .50 cal though, and it makes a mess of my apartment :(

Skyhawk likes this.
  4. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Well-Known Member

Those pesky critters! I have had my own run ins with them. I laughed when I read that because I too chase them down in a panic when I see them. I'm running around shutting doors, cursing the moths........ My neighbors probably think I'm a nut.

I hear that Cedar is good to keep them away. I have heard that only a small percentage of moths actually eat wool. Don't know the specifics on that one. I read it on a forum at some point.

Best of luck!
    -Jay

Greg Gale likes this.
  5. johnwayne

johnwayne Well-Known Member

Cedar is good and lavender should do the trick but also might be worth investing in some suit/jacket bags which places like Ikea etc do reasonably cheaply or I’m sure you’ll get online. I keep all my jacket wrapped up in such!

Greg Gale likes this.
  6. falcon_ib

falcon_ib Well-Known Member

I'm fighting my own war with moths right now... they were halfway through a suit before I even noticed!

This product is working pretty well - I bought a few and put them up around the house and in closets: https://www.amazon.com/Pheromone-Attractant-Insecticides-Greener-Mindset/dp/B076XGMHX4

They lure moths in with "premium female moth pheromones" and then the glue keeps them there. Talk about a booby trap.... Strikes me as a little cruel but pretty effective!

Evan

7. Greg Gale

Evan, this is what I also got. Now just waiting to see if there is anything inside. Problem is that it catches the male moths, not the egg laying females. So it's more of an indicator of their presence rather than a solution to the problem. Of course it seriously weakens the moth gene pool, and may leave the ladies with sub-par DNA, but I'm afraid that's not going to be enough for my jackets' longevity.

8. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

12 gauge for the big buggers. Cedar and camphor for prevention ;)

9. ButteMT61

ButteMT61 Well-Known Member

10. Greg Gale

I installed 2 of these traps, nothing in there so far, I guess that's a good sign.

11. Thomas Koehle

Thomas Koehle Well-Known Member

Pheromon-trapsfor the male moths - small wasps to Infiltrate the motheggs

the wasps come on a Piece of cardboard and the description says those Little guys search out for the moth-eggs (moth lay them on different spots) put their larves in there and they kill the mothlarves

no more motheggs there those wasps (These guys are really tiny) simple die RIP

i had an Invasion also and fought them with those 2 methods - seems it worked

12. Garylafortuna

Garylafortuna Active Member

The answer to moth infestation problems at all stages; eggs, larvae, adults, etc., is ozone. Ozone generators can be purchased from under fifty dollars to several hundred dollars for commercial units. Check Amazon. Some years ago I bought a woolen sweater from a thrift shop. What a horror story that was. Lost about half of all my woolen clothing. Those same little critters are also addicted to silk. Ozone works but must be used with care. It is best to keep out of the room or closet where the machine is running.