• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most accurate Irvin

Chris 55

My mid war Irvin I'm part way through repairing.
Main zip replaced which I will probably change the puller to lightening.
Half way through replacing hem and cuffs going to have to piece an small panel in on the lower right arm as the jacket had be worn with cuffs rolled back and worn out.

IMG_20201122_112318_1.jpg

Griffon_301

got the 1942 pattern ELC Irvin which I acquired "used" (jacket is brand new with even the ELC tags attached still) in a size 44 today and what shall I say - I love it!
sizewise, its one size down from my usual jacket size but I went for it anyway as my size 46 is rather bulky with lots of room to wear even a thick wool sweather underneath...
great if you plan to attack the Bismarck in an open cockpit Swordfish or raid Berlin in a cold Lancaster, but rather way too warm in todays climate winters in a big city like Vienna;
I ended up wearing the Irvin with only thin shirts underneath and thanks to its great construction which closes nicely around the throat when you zip the Irvin up all the way, this is usually enough to survive winters here...
the look is rather bulky then though of course ... so the size 44 is a very "stylish" rather trim fit, but with a thin sweater underneath, its perfect...
maybe another thing to consider when thinking about the sizing of the Irvin one wishes to buy...
true, originally they were worn over service or battle dresses, but then again, they were used for flying where it was really cold...

pictures to follow of course :) oh and to answer the original question: I just can speak about ELC (which I own) and the ones they sell in the Duxford Museum store (which I tried and found quite nice, but nowhere near the ELC ones), I would say, if you really definitely want an Irvin, you cannot go wrong with the ELC offering;
I have not seen an Aero one in flesh, but from pictures, they look nice as well - especially the 1944 pattern ones....

Brylcreemer

My mid war Irvin I'm part way through repairing.
Main zip replaced which I will probably change the puller to lightening.
Half way through replacing hem and cuffs going to have to piece an small panel in on the lower right arm as the jacket had be worn with cuffs rolled back and worn out.

View attachment 48924
Fantastic jacket, Chris. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Might I be able to ask an annoying question ? - I totally understand if it's too annoying to check, but I wonder if you might know what mm thickness the shearling is?

I obsess a little over Irvin thickness (and I assume they varied somewhat depending on the sheep available during war time?), but this looks like optimum thickness to me, so I'd be fascinated to know how thick it is exactly. Again, please don't go out of your way to measure if it's too much of a pain - I imagine it's been bedded down quite a bit over the years.

Also interesting that it has a more pointed collar (which I think looks much nicer) than some originals that have a completely rounded collar.

Cheers,
Adam

Chris 55

Fantastic jacket, Chris. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Might I be able to ask an annoying question ? - I totally understand if it's too annoying to check, but I wonder if you might know what mm thickness the shearling is?

I obsess a little over Irvin thickness (and I assume they varied somewhat depending on the sheep available during war time?), but this looks like optimum thickness to me, so I'd be fascinated to know how thick it is exactly. Again, please don't go out of your way to measure if it's too much of a pain - I imagine it's been bedded down quite a bit over the years.

Also interesting that it has a more pointed collar (which I think looks much nicer) than some originals that have a completely rounded collar.

Cheers,
Adam

No problem I'll do it some point

Chris 55

Cheers,
Adam

The collar is around 10mm the main fleece 20mm.
It's less of a curly fleece as you can see in the pictures.
I think the only longer fleece is the Devon fleece.

Cheers,
Adam

Attachments

• IMG_20201219_141938.jpg
    IMG_20201219_141938.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20201219_142005.jpg
    IMG_20201219_142005.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20201219_141900.jpg
    IMG_20201219_141900.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20201219_141855.jpg
    IMG_20201219_141855.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 179

Brylcreemer

that's really kind of you to indulge me. Thanks so much!

.jpg

1st post ever here.

Although I have lurked here for the last little while learning about what makes a jacket good for day to day wear and or authentic if one happens to be a collector or enthusiast.
The 5* jackets are wonderful to look at when worn by their owners in posts on this site.
They look like they are big fuck off chunks of warmth and comfort. Bearing in mind that I'm not a period enthusiast so am not making my compliment from that POV.
I have seriously flirted with the idea of a shearling jacket for over 15 years, Longer if I am honest, but the opportunity to purchase something suitable has been limited due to my ignorance , the market size and the massive cost relative to my income(My trust fund got lost in the mail)
I am amped to see the possibility of a 5* Irvin type product and look forward to seeing one appear.

Also. You guys are nerds.

Wonderful, passionate, knowledgeable people that remind me of the early days of the internet where like minded folk shared ideas and experience : Waaaay before Farcebook and the conversion of people into products

Thank you for the energy and information that you all share

(If its not clear, A nerd is intended as a compliment in my usage, awkward of me perhaps, but still meant as such)
Enjoy,

.jpg

Brylcreemer

1st post ever here.

Although I have lurked here for the last little while learning about what makes a jacket good for day to day wear and or authentic if one happens to be a collector or enthusiast.
The 5* jackets are wonderful to look at when worn by their owners in posts on this site.
They look like they are big fuck off chunks of warmth and comfort. Bearing in mind that I'm not a period enthusiast so am not making my compliment from that POV.
I have seriously flirted with the idea of a shearling jacket for over 15 years, Longer if I am honest, but the opportunity to purchase something suitable has been limited due to my ignorance , the market size and the massive cost relative to my income(My trust fund got lost in the mail)
I am amped to see the possibility of a 5* Irvin type product and look forward to seeing one appear.

Also. You guys are nerds.

Wonderful, passionate, knowledgeable people that remind me of the early days of the internet where like minded folk shared ideas and experience : Waaaay before Farcebook and the conversion of people into products

Thank you for the energy and information that you all share

(If its not clear, A nerd is intended as a compliment in my usage, awkward of me perhaps, but still meant as such)
Enjoy,

.jpg
What a lovely post. I feel exactly the same re. coming to this forum as a newcomer, and also re. 5*'s accessibility: due to my humble budget, it's never been a choice between 5* and Eastman, the Japanese manufacturers, BK, or even Aero - it's a choice between 5* or no jacket at all.

I do sympathise with western manufacturers who have western overheads, who may feel undercut by Shawn, but so long as his staff are being treated fairly, his work is making a lot of people very, very happy...and happier still if he makes an Irvin!

Micawber

Have you new nerds checked out the What Price Glory Irvin repros?

Also, if you aren't that fussed about 100% accuracy there is usually a heap of jackets labelled 'Irvin' available on ebay made by a company who own the name.

Signed A N Other Nerd.