• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More 37J1 weirdness

zoomer

I swear, if there's a Bermuda Triangle for flight jackets, it must be full of 37J1 repops. There seems to be a curse following those who make them.

Someone on eBay now has Willis & Geiger's lesser known, commercialized version of the 37J1. It's a greenish tan twill with no stencil and enlarged, handwarmer pockets.
s-l1600.jpg click to enlarge
Here's the thing. It's size M. I asked for measurements to compare to my own example of the same model in size L, which is currently a test bed as I'm futzing with those big ugly pockets. The guy got right back to me with these:

Pit: L 26 1/4" – M 23"
Shoulder:
L 22 3/8" – M 19"
Sleeve:
L 24" (shoulder to cuff edge) – M 19 1/2" "outseam" (?!)
Back length: L 26" – M 26 1/2"

I even sent him some pix about where the tape goes - he swears he's done it right. But dang, those are some screwy sizings if an L needs 2 1/2" more extra in the chest (8 1/2" over a 44" chest vs 6" over a 40"), 3 3/8" more in the shoulders and 1/2" less body length.

I'm not buying the thing but if you want a crack at it, the listing is here.
Closes early Friday morning.
VINTAGE ANNIVERSARY EDITION 1940's WILLIS & GEIGER USN NAVY 37J1 JACKET (MED)

Last edited:

Dr H

Thanks Paul, but I’ll save my money.
I had a couple of W&G versions of the 37J1, but really didn’t like the cut or the fabric.

robrinay

An example of ‘vanity sizing’? Manufacturers reassuring one that one is not really overweight and the proof is that a size ‘Medium’ still fits just like when you were 18 years old?

zoomer

An example of ‘vanity sizing’? Manufacturers reassuring one that one is not really overweight and the proof is that a size ‘Medium’ still fits just like when you were 18 years old?
And an L that would give a “mall fit” to an XL guy?

The way of the garmento is by turns capricious and calculating. Random and sly. Mystery is essential.

robrinay

And an L that would give a “mall fit” to an XL guy?

The way of the garmento is by turns capricious and calculating. Random and sly. Mystery is essential.
Yup I first came across the technique in a woman’s dress shop - my size 12 wife used to buy her size 10 dresses skirts and tops there. Fortunately I’ve since learned from members here never to trust the size label but to ask for measurements. Consequently my ‘beater’ Gibson and Barnes G1 labelled 40R fits my 44 L frame perfectly and the action back is ideal for my hobby -Archery.