• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monarch M-422 in nearly mint condition

bazelot

I just bought a Monarch M-422. It is in awesome shape and except for the shadow stitch line of a nametag on the chest it is nearly mint. It is a beautiful jacket with a reddish undertone. I had never had one before. I will probably sell it but it is a very cool jacket, not to say anything of rare. It belonged to a DFC and Navy Cross recipient. I will post pictures soon.

bazelot

Ok, now this is not something you see everyday. I also found a nametag in the pocket and in the inner pocket there was a hand written note with the name of the cadet and the barracks he was staying at in April 1942. The grouping came with a H&L Block M-422A in nearly mint condition, a M-421A in fantastic condition, a pair of MkII goggles, 3 flight helmets and the complete khaki and dark blue uniform with Navy Cross and DFC ribbons. There is also a knee pad, a lot of USN silk scarfs and a complete H6-A (post war) helmet with complete oxy mask and snaps. I also have the complete WWII story from the pilot which is in a 20 page pdf doc.

THe M-422:

Everything is in outstanding shape and the leather is really really soft. Everything is original. Mouton looks new, lining is perfect, knits and waistband hardly show any wear.

better duck

Wow, what a find. Please tell us the story of how you got it. And please post photos of the other items in the grouping as well. Sounds very interesting!!

chamboid

What an amazing find. And yes some photographs of the rest of the grouping would be great, especially the H.L Block. Have a love for these usn jackets, and wanted a first incarnation without the 'A' prefix for a while. The leather looks fantastic, and a beautiful colour, really deep russet tones, almost maroon.

Are you familiar with the Goodwear 'ultra vintage' goat skin? It's almost an exact math for
colour

Very nice find, what's the size if the jacket? And with the blackenrd Talon is it a brass then coated?

Again very nice find.

Peter Graham

What a beauty. You just keep turning 'em up. Do I see stitch holes from a missing patch on the arm ? It's quite unusual for a Navy jacket to have a patch on the arm, is it not ?

bazelot

Peter Graham said:
What a beauty. You just keep turning 'em up. Do I see stitch holes from a missing patch on the arm ? It's quite unusual for a Navy jacket to have a patch on the arm, is it not ?

Yes there used to be a round patch on the arm as well. I know thta CBI jackets almost all had the CBI patch on the sleeve so it was not uncommon I guess.

Dr H

chamboid said:
Are you familiar with the Goodwear 'ultra vintage' goat skin? It's almost an exact math for
colour

Very similar in colour to my GW Doniger (ultra vintage goat) having darkened it down a little.
Lovely example of an M-422.

Roughwear

What a great lightly worn M422! They don't come much better than this. The russet tones are glorious. What size it? I would imagine this was relatively small contract and you don't see many of these around let alone in this outstanding condition.

bazelot

Roughwear said:
What a great lightly worn M422! They don't come much better than this. The russet tones are glorious. What size it? I would imagine this was relatively small contract and you don't see many of these around let alone in this outstanding condition.
Yes I am quite thrilled to have it. The fact that the owner got the DFC and the Navy Cross makes it even more special. It is a size 38 but fits like a 40 or 42 as it is a perfect fit for me.

Members online

Latest posts