• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modify my Schott Perfecto? Or swap it out?

Remove a Schott Perfecto belt?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters

Nickb123

You could get an Aero Ridley-it has a detachable belt. I’m on my second one-but I always end up feeling more at home in an A-2. To me cross zips are the coolest designs from a jacket perspective but I always shrivel up in self-doubt when wearing one in public.

Banzai

How it started: a few years ago I decided that my collection needed a classic moto jacket. It struck me as one of those essential staple-pieces. And, knowing nothing else, I automatically gravitated to the grand-daddy of them all (yes, I know there are debates. Let’s just leave that statement where it is), the Schott Perfecto. I didn’t give thoughts to belts, or really much of any of the details, save for finding a 618. (613 would have worked too.)
I counted myself particularly lucky to find one on the Japanese market via eBay, since it was more than an inch shorter than the US jackets. I inherited my impressive 5’6” stature from the Japanese half of my family.

Now I’m just not as keen on the dangling belt, which I guess makes me not as keen on the jacket model itself. Anything else I get will likely have to be custom (read:expensive) unless there are more specific Japanese market gems out there waiting for me.

Spitfireace

Here's a Youtube video on Schott with some quick history on Schott and then introduction of models, some without belts. Might give you some ideas for beltless jackets. This is independent of Schott USA.

mulceber

Just a quick caveat though - that video may be great for seeing the different styles, but be careful with its historical content. Schott loves to puff up their history, and they can be very misleading: their claim that they made the “Wild One” jacket is, at best, a half-truth, and their assertion that they had a military contract for jackets during WW2 is an out-and-out lie. Most discussions of their history, even independent ones, tend to accept their claims without really looking into them. I haven’t watched it yet though, so I have no idea if that’s relevant here.

Last edited:

Spitfireace

To be fair though, he does mention that the Wild One Marlon Brando Jacket 618 Schott Perfecto wearing is up for debate. It is said by some to be a copy of the 618. At any rate it does have a one star on the epaulettes so they would have to be added to the 618 as he says. Since the the 613 has the star and not the 618. Yes, the 613 is basically the same as the 618 in style, but is thinner leather, more of a fashion jacket. The 618 is thick steerhide, the real deal, to protect riders in a spill. It is one heck of a heavy jacket.

Banzai

To be fair though, he does mention that the Wild One Marlon Brando Jacket 618 Schott Perfecto wearing is up for debate. It is said by some to be a copy of the 618. At any rate it does have a one star on the epaulettes so they would have to be added to the 618 as he says. Since the the 613 has the star and not the 618. Yes, the 613 is basically the same as the 618 in style, but is thinner leather, more of a fashion jacket. The 618 is thick steerhide, the real deal, to protect riders in a spill. It is one heck of a heavy jacket.
My 618 is definitely the "beefiest" jacket I own. Sturdy, heavy, stiff. I didn't know the 613 was thinner, I just thought it was decorated differently.

Banzai

Holy cow, E-bay prices have gone crazy. I bought mine a couple years back for $270, and it was in near-perfect used condition. Now, Perfectos in the same condition are selling for at least $500. They're pretty rough in the under $300 range. I guess if I wanted to sell mine I'd do pretty well on it.

mulceber

And we're approaching the Christmas season, so if you want to sell and use that as the down payment for another jacket, you're pretty close to the perfect time to do it.

Banzai

According to the folks at Schott, the 618 originally had stars, and only the lower collar snaps. In time the stars were removed at the request of retailers, and snaps were added to the upper collar tabs. In 1992 the 613 was introduced, which was a throwback to the original form of the 618.

mulceber

According to the folks at Schott, the 618 originally had stars, and only the lower collar snaps. In time the stars were removed at the request of retailers, and snaps were added to the upper collar tabs. In 1992 the 613 was introduced, which was a throwback to the original form of the 618.

Eh, it's possible that they're telling the truth, but given that they're lying about their WW2 jacket contracts (government records show no contracts for clothing given out to Schott), I'm not inclined to take their word on any of their other accomplishments. I also find their claim that they invented the cafe racer suspicious. But to each his own.

Attachments

• War Supply Contractspp524-526.pdf
    783.6 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

Spitfireace

Can't deny they had close to the first moto jacket.
20190406_120655.jpg

Eh, it's possible that they're telling the truth, but given that they're lying about their WW2 jacket contracts (government records show no contracts for clothing given out to Schott), I'm not inclined to take their word on any of their other accomplishments. I also find their claim that they invented the cafe racer suspicious. But to each his own.