• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modify my Schott Perfecto? Or swap it out?

Remove a Schott Perfecto belt?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters

Banzai

I have a Schott Perfecto 618. I bought it because I wanted a slant-zip black "moto" style jacket for the collection, and Schott is an original in that area...a piece of Americana, if you will.

However, I don't like the belt. Never have. It complicates an already complicated jacket, and gets in the way quite a bit. For some time, I've been pondering taking it to a leather tailor to have it removed, but the thing that holds me back is that the belt is an "iconic" feature of the jacket. If I remove it, is it still iconic Americana? I don't know. I do know that the resale value will take a real hit. That leads to the other option. I could sell it, and then buy something from FiveStarLeather that fits the bill, without the belt. And if E-bay treats me right, I might even have enough money left for a decent bottle of Scotch when it's all said and done.

If the jacket wasn't an "icon", I'd likely save the expense and sell it and move on. But it is. I just find myself wishing the icon was a little different.

So: Remove the belt and keep it - probably wear it more often...or sell it to someone who wants a Pefecto as-is, and buy a different jacket that is simpler?

MikeyB-17

It’s your jacket. If the belt bugs you, and you’ll wear it more if it’s gone, ditch it. I sincerely doubt that its status as an American icon will be affected one bit. Guys have personalised and customised their jackets, be it military issue or otherwise, for a very long time. If thy belt offends thee, cast it off. :)

Spitfireace

I have a Schott Perfecto 618. I bought it because I wanted a slant-zip black "moto" style jacket for the collection, and Schott is an original in that area...a piece of Americana, if you will.

However, I don't like the belt. Never have. It complicates an already complicated jacket, and gets in the way quite a bit. For some time, I've been pondering taking it to a leather tailor to have it removed, but the thing that holds me back is that the belt is an "iconic" feature of the jacket. If I remove it, is it still iconic Americana? I don't know. I do know that the resale value will take a real hit. That leads to the other option. I could sell it, and then buy something from FiveStarLeather that fits the bill, without the belt. And if E-bay treats me right, I might even have enough money left for a decent bottle of Scotch when it's all said and done.

If the jacket wasn't an "icon", I'd likely save the expense and sell it and move on. But it is. I just find myself wishing the icon was a little different.

So: Remove the belt and keep it - probably wear it more often...or sell it to someone who wants a Pefecto as-is, and buy a different jacket that is simpler?
I would not "modify" it. Move it on and get a jacket without belt.

mulceber

I think there's good arguments either way, so I'm going to turn it around and ask you a question. Altering it may not diminish how iconic it is, but it will most definitely damage the re-sale value. So do you think that if you modify it, this would be a jacket you'd NEVER want to sell? Would it be one you'd wear the piss out of, day in, day out for decades? If so, then sure, why not modify it to make it suit you better. Otherwise, I think you're better off leaving it as is, or even selling it and buying a jacket that does it for you. There are plenty of cross-zip jackets out there that don't have the belt.

Banzai

I think there's good arguments either way, so I'm going to turn it around and ask you a question. Altering it may not diminish how iconic it is, but it will most definitely damage the re-sale value. So do you think that if you modify it, this would be a jacket you'd NEVER want to sell? Would it be one you'd wear the piss out of, day in, day out for decades? If so, then sure, why not modify it to make it suit you better. Otherwise, I think you're better off leaving it as is, or even selling it and buying a jacket that does it for you. There are plenty of cross-zip jackets out there that don't have the belt.
That's actually a big part of the question I've been mulling over. If it had little-to-no resaie value as-is, I'd just get it done. But, the fact is that in the excellent condition it's in, it will fetch a nice price if I were to sell it. If I chop off the belt it probably loses half the value. (I wouldn't "chop". I'd get the seam opened and closed professionally.)

It's kind of like how I wouldn't hesitate to sew my squadron patches all over an Avirex/Cockpit A-2, but would definitely feel different about doing that to a nice repro like my Eastman.

mulceber

Based on that, I'd say don't modify it. Sell it along to someone who wants it exactly as it is, and put that money toward buying a belt-less cross zip, or a cross-zip with a removable belt. Here are four solid alternatives:

AlexLutov

I've always wanted a schott moto, but to be honest, it's the belt that stops me...there are many manufacturers who make a removable belt, I recommend selling yours as is.

Kermit3D

I would also sell it as is, without modifying it, and I would buy a "Perfecto" jacket without a belt.

Based on that, I'd say don't modify it. Sell it along to someone who wants it exactly as it is, and put that money toward buying a belt-less cross zip, or a cross-zip with a removable belt. Here are four solid alternatives:

I had never really dwelled on ELMC jackets. The jackets look gorgeous! But prices ... :eek:

I find the "WINDWARD - AMERICAN WALNUT" superb !!

windward-american-walnut.jpg

Silver Surfer

I have a few mc jackets, and with one I removed the belt and filled in the stitch hole where the the loops were. another, I just left the belt.....so far. those school mc jackets are inexpensive enough when used, so why not a have 2? modify one, leave the other. of course. if ya want to go apeshit, and get say a bill Kelso, or himel, [both cos make seriously kickjass mc jackets] you can have a jacket made to your bespoke specs.

Banzai

I would also sell it as is, without modifying it, and I would buy a "Perfecto" jacket without a belt.

I had never really dwelled on ELMC jackets. The jackets look gorgeous! But prices ... :eek:

I find the "WINDWARD - AMERICAN WALNUT" superb !!

windward-american-walnut.jpg
That ELMC looks fantastic! You are right though…prices for Eastman have become quite dear lately. They’re starting to make Aero look like the “budget” option.

mulceber

Honestly, we're at the point where Good Wear is the better deal. For the same price, or a little less, you get a better jacket that's customized to fit you. Really can't beat that.

Also consider Greg Field, of Field leather. He makes a cross-zip biker jacket as well with a removable belt, and his preferred leather is shinki.

Last edited:

busdrivermike

something I’ve seen on a couple vintage
motorcycle jackets, they put a snap into the belt both sides
Behind the belt loop area then at a spot that gets just the right fold back
So you can fold it back and snap it back out of the way
But then it’s still there if you need it or go to sell it and you can
Claim it’s modified for comfort and classic style
You could do chrome or brass to match the zip or black to blend in with the leather
Or secondly just Try folding the belt back into the loops most will just stay in place even simpler
Or third just wear the jacket as those did who helped give it it’s icon status like the ramones or in the lords
Of Flatbush
CC47DED7-4E19-47AA-B41D-88EC63D2610E.jpeg

C2A13294-7C53-45F8-B1E8-2261AD4BB922.jpeg

interbak

My first real motorcycle jacket, when I was 18, was a Perfecto style with the belt. The belt is truly a nuisance, and does present the real threat of scratching the gas tank on a cafe racer, so I removed it. That was about 30 years ago. I still have the jacket, but it rarely gets worn these days.

Banzai

My first real motorcycle jacket, when I was 18, was a Perfecto style with the belt. The belt is truly a nuisance, and does present the real threat of scratching the gas tank on a cafe racer, so I removed it. That was about 30 years ago. I still have the jacket, but it rarely gets worn these days.
I don’t ride a motorcycle, but I’ve read that bikers do find it to be a real hazard to the paint on their fuel tanks.

If I did have a bike, I’d be pretty steamed if a scratched up my tank with that buckle.

B-Man2

I road bikes for several years and found that the buckle wasn’t a problem if you buckled it.
I didn’t ride crotch rockets very often, but I can see that leaning over the tank the way many do, even buckled up might scratch the tank .

bfd70

The belt is what kept me from buying a Schott and in the end went with another maker. If i were doing it over i would have found a nice used schott and removed the belt. Imo their non belt options dont look as good. You could sell and buy something else but you’ll go out of pocket. Some makers listed have quite long lead times. Only available and cash neutral option i can think of is Vanson which is also an iconic american brand. Here’s a pic of mine.

Attachments

• 278A8E34-BFC6-49B1-9E3A-ACB3D47C6657.jpeg
    278A8E34-BFC6-49B1-9E3A-ACB3D47C6657.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 255