• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Minty A-11 trousers, worth keeping or cannibalizing for spares?

Griffon_301

I would prefer A-11 trousers as those are the proper ones to go along my B-15 I guess..
I do not have any clue about the sizing though...how does it compare with modern sizes in jeans for example?

Carl

Remember that these were to be worn over other clothing .
A11's i have seen have been labelled with the jacket size , some with waist size , and even some with womens sizing .

Griffon_301

I have tried a pair of more recent USAF cold weather nylon trousers size 32 and those were at least two sizes too small for me at the waist so for a 46 jacket size (or 44 for the B-15) this would give me a 36 (or maybe 38) trousers size...does that sound plausible for a A-11 pair of trousers?

Carl

Ill have to check my A11's for sizing before i can give you any more sizing info im afraid :(

Griffon_301

Just checked what I had posted when I found those trousers...I have to apologize but I remembered the numbers wrongly...the trousers were F1B and were sized 38 and those were down at least two sizes...so I guess a Size 44 would be quite good in that regard...

dmar836

Yeah, I wasn’t supporting cutting these up regardless of zipper size. I’m actually trying to discourage if just on the basis that the zips are the incorrect size to shorten and add to a jacket.
People have stripped many things - tunics and so forth in the name of a buck but this would be a disappointment to collectors and to anyone who thinks these leg zips are the correct size on a B-10 or B -15. I would like to be proven incorrect out of interest in learning something new but this is what I have observed. I would still like to see side by side pics.
Dave

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

German helmets are often disassemble to provide parts to augment the value or to fake authenticity for profit. This is not to be mistaken with a restoration! Personally I am not incline to accept this practice as it's motivated by cupidity with no respect for the history of the object.

But some garments are in a such bad state or shape that they become good donors. I would try to find a very salty example on ebay and then take the part to restore a good one...

just my two cents...

D

dmar836

Good points. I hope Pilot doesn’t feel ganged up on. Not my intent. My deal is that I would like to see detailed pics of the leg-length zips next to a B-10 or B-15 zip. The guickest and final evidence would be a quick phone shot of one side of the trousers zipped into the other side of a jacket. Has me curious but I still think they are not compatible until (welcomely) proven incorrect. I would rather not have this assumption of a zipper source floating around.
Dave

Pilot

47E9D923-C268-4C39-8460-4DADD354ACC8.jpeg
Sorry, no internet access for several days... besides I have a job which is sometimes a „bit challenging „...
Here a few pics of the zips...
Thx for all opinions... some made me laugh...especially for the retail price...
For the records... in 1986 I bought my first ww2 original jacket on a US Militaria Show ...a WW2 Dubow A-2 size 42“ for precicely 30 US$.., needless to tell what‘s the price nowadays...
Zips on my trousers... see sttached...
Thx to all for your comments.

Pilot

Thx. to all, you helped me a lot in my decision, thanks to the 18 PMs who want to stay anonymous and buy the thing as a whole or in parts for repair...
Thx....

Last edited:

Pilot

Please excuse me, but I will not comment nor post anymore within the next 3 weeks ... simply because I am out on vacation and just no interest on this subject „60 US$“ anymore... hope nobody minds...
Merry X-Mas to all..
Brice

dmar836

Pilot,
With all due respect the pics you show next to the A-2 zip are clearly of the #5 blackened crotch zip(leather pull with non-separating zip) and the other, with a random unrelated Conmar in the shot, is of the blackened #5 side entry zip(also non-separating). The full-length zips(the only ones that are separating zips) are the only ones that could possibly be shortened for a jacket but are not shown up close next to the A-2 zip. Not to beat a dead horse but I still say that those zips are a larger size and would only disappoint anyone thinking they could use them for a jacket - typically a #5 zip. This could be is misleading and so far is to me. It is also inconsistent with what I see on all of mine and what appears to be the same on yours. I hope this doesn’t ruin a sale but please advise. A simple pic of the full length trouser zip zipped into the other side of the A-2 jacket would change my mind and educate me. I have seen the painted black zips and likely have one around but not in the #5 jacket sized variant you imply you have on the long separating zips of the trousers. I hope I don’t now have to go out and buy new variants of trousers!
Thanks in advance,
Dave

Last edited:

dmar836

Pilot,
Did you ever get a chance to zip the jacket to the trouser's leg zip? If, as you mentioned, "their backened separating Talon zippers" are the same size and interchangeable with the wartime jacket zips(for restorations) I have yet to see such a pair. All A-11 trousers I have ever seen have the separating leg zips in a size #7 or so. The wartime jackets were all #5s. Yours look the same as mine with the larger size separating zips. The follow up pics you posted compare only the sliders from the trouser's side entry and fly(#5s but not separating). I was interested in the long separating leg pics that could be put on a jacket. This would be the first I've seen of the late war trousers using the early size zips on the legs. I'd really like to see if that was the case.
Thanks in advance,
Dave