• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Minty A-11 trousers, worth keeping or cannibalizing for spares?

Pilot

DF0FE8DF-47B4-4147-9A66-755FF08EF299.jpeg
5F71EBCD-7851-4FCB-B56D-3183D77AF617.jpeg
F4D841C3-0252-47CA-B075-BB46A8CBB384.jpeg
41D27479-C444-41CD-95D4-76C2113101E4.jpeg
47982036-399E-4597-9977-C65DDF75FFA8.jpeg
B0FB4B1D-C2E6-43A2-AC89-A8ECDF70DBCC.jpeg
2ED7DCC6-3B2B-4741-A8BF-21F5CE00C0DD.jpeg
Maybe some will hate me even more after this.
Is it worth keeping A-11 trousers in minty condition or canibalizing them for spares, ( because of their backened separating Talon zippers, Alpaga, OD fabric, etc...) Surely not realy ethical...but...In need of parts to repair others, B-10, B-15 etc....
What are these pants worth?

Last edited:

dmar836

What else would you use a size 7 zipper on? Maybe a sleeping bag? Those long length leg zips aren't the correct size for a jacket unless you want a WWII zip on a M-65. Just don't think it will get you where you want to go.
JMO,
Dave

Pilot

What else would you use a size 7 zipper on? Maybe a sleeping bag? Those long length leg zips aren't the correct size for a jacket unless you want a WWII zip on a M-65. Just don't think it will get you where you want to go.
JMO,
Dave
Thx,
Long zippers can be shortened easily ...short zippers cannot be made longer :)
The am zippers are not the wire puller zipper style, but blackened Talon.
These blackened Talon zippers are identical to the ones uses in some USN G-1, ANJ3, RW B-15A etc jackets...just longer ... by now :)
Read here somewhere where a member was looking for those blackened onces.

Last edited:

Pilot

I'd want to keep those since they're in such nice condition. You can always find a pair that's ready for the trash heap to cannibalize.
Thx., moreover, the double faced Alpaga and OD fabric is great and would give great material for repairing a B-10 or B-15.

Last edited:

Micawber

The primary factor is that garments manufactured as part of original contracts that are ostensibly still in mint condition decades later are what they are - original period items and should be treated and respected as such.

Monetary value should not come into it. You wouldn't rob components from mint period jackets would you?

Keep them as is knowing you are preserving history or pass them to someone who respects them for what they are :)

MikeyB-17

Those are in beautiful condition, there can’t be many left around in that state. It would be a terrible shame to wreck them to repair a jacket.

Pilot

Those are in beautiful condition, there can’t be many left around in that state. It would be a terrible shame to wreck them to repair a jacket.
Actually three B-10/B-15 jackets..plus someone here may need a blackened Talon for his USN jacket.... Forgot who and where listed..

Last edited:

dmar836

I checked my A-11a and A-11As and they have a larger size sip than the side entry pockets. Mine have the wire pulls but they are oversized as well. All of the early fleece trousers(A-3, A-5, etc) had the smaller jacket sized full length and side entry zips but all my fabric trousers will full zips are the larger size with the smaller #5 side entry zips. Interesting for sure - can you please post a pic of the leg pulls next to an A-2, B-10, or B-15 zip for size reference?
Thanks in advance,
Dave

Juanito

What are those selling for these days? Back in the late 1980's and early 1990's you could pick up a se tin similar shape (mint) for about $65.

stanier

What would A-11’s go with Carl? They look cool, certainly pilot, please don’t destroy them!

Just a nice thing to have. And will save money on the central heating:D or when you have knees like mine:D!!!

Carl

A11's were issued with B15's and A11a's with the B15a's
This is the list Chris
B3 A3 PANTS
B6 A5 PANTS
B7 A6 PANTS
B9 A8 PANTS
B10 A9 PANTS
B11 A10 PANTS

That help Chris ? ;)

stanier

Oh yes, thank you Carl!

I dare say there were deviations over time? It might be aaf sacrilidge but right now I’d like a B-3 with those trousers! And I’m in a pub with a lurvely open fire!

It’s rqther chilly outside in Bedfordshire today!

Griffon_301

I am looking for such a pair of trousers for ages now and would love to get my hands on a pair if I can find the right size....