• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint Original Hungarian Mig Pilot Flight Jacket

B-Man2

I’m posting photos of an original mint Hungarian Mig Flight Jacket I just received from Greg Gale. While the jacket is a gem and impressive as a rare collectors item here in the US. The story of how it found it’s way to the US and my front door is equally worth telling.
About 6 months ago Greg listed this jacket for sale here on the forum . No one seemed to take notice of the jacket, so after a few PMs with Greg he agreed to an offer and I purchased the jacket. Greg then shipped the jacket. This is where it gets a little crazy.
Days and weeks went by but no jacket. Both Greg and I checked with our respective Post Offices but all they could tell us was the jacket was somewhere in the mail system. Weeks continued to go by and turned into months, still no jacket and no information as to its location. Through this entire process Greg was a Saint and made every attempt to find the jacket, however no success. Eventually we both realized the jacket was gone forever and Greg without hesitation returned my money.
About 4 months went by and about 10 days ago Greg contacted me with a surprising story. He contacted me and told me that the jacket had simply showed up on his door step and sent me a picture of a box that looked like it had seen better days. However, after checking the jacket it was still in perfect condition. Greg asked me if I still wanted the jacket and without hesitation I said yes and sent him the money again. The most unbelievable part of this story is that Greg once again shipped the jacket to me and 7 days later , after all the drama by the respective post offices, the jacket showed up at my front door. Go figure! You can’t make this stuff up. Thanks Greg for being a great guy and selling me this jacket twice!;)

472B718C-6C8A-4FC4-9F61-2E6FCFBD0C86.jpeg

E6048F73-C47B-4846-9F08-EF95E92FEE4F.jpeg

B7C76DB2-5BE7-477C-AA44-909FF3C59CAB.jpeg

Last edited:

Greg Gale

Burt, I'm so glad the jacket is in good hands finally. It fits you much, much better than it fit me, the size is spot on :) I know winter is coming, but later you can try removing the fur collar that's attached with buttons, and/or un-velcro the lining and have a summer windbreaker.

Wear it in good health!

Falcon_52

Incredible story! I am glad that everything worked out in the end. That looks like a very practical jacket. Enjoy it!

Noel

Greg Gale

I had long given up on it, when the package turned up on my doorstep. By the look of it it must have been washed ashore by the sea after drifting across the Atlantic. I half expected to find seaweed inside! :D Fortunately, I wrapped the jacket into a thick trash bag, so it was absolutely undamaged.

IMG_1646.JPG

Flightengineer

I had long given up on it, when the package turned up on my doorstep. By the look of it it must have been washed ashore by the sea after drifting across the Atlantic. I half expected to find seaweed inside! Fortunately, I wrapped the jacket into a thick trash bag, so it was absolutely undamaged.

View attachment 12035

Greg, we often transport mail, sometimes I see how it being unloaded (and sorted) at different airports in different countries ... Sometimes it is better not to see this, otherwise you can lose faith in humanity and Post of different countries forever :D . One thing I can say - post is an incredible mechanism that can deliver something to you instantly, or lose forever in spite of all track numbers.
If you stick an invisible camera to your package with a jacket, it would probably turn out to be a thriller ... but all is well that ends well.

ties70

Burt,

You and the international postal services seem to have a conflicted relationship ;)

I can lively remember that this German fellow here sold a GW Perry to a gentleman from the US... Let's just name him ... well... Burt...

I posted the jacket immediately but failed to post the tracking number... Even worse: I couldn't find it... You were quite suspicious that I might have fooled you and ran away with your money...

Then I found the tracking number but the package was stuck at delivery depots and did not make it to the USA in regular time... That was when emails got fiery... Fortunately the package was delivered a day or two after that and all anger vanished!

Burt, hope you don't mind telling me that little anecdote! It's been what, 8 to 10 years, and long before we connected here at VLJ...

Have a great rest of the day!

Ties

falcon_ib

Glad it all worked out! Next time staple some cash to the box and maybe the post office will deliver on time ;)

B-Man2

Ties
No problem.....
As it turns out you’re one of the nice guys on this forum. I was wrong about that then but I’m right about this now.
Regards
Burt

Burt,

You and the international postal services seem to have a conflicted relationship ;)

I can lively remember that this German fellow here sold a GW Perry to a gentleman from the US... Let's just name him ... well... Burt...

I posted the jacket immediately but failed to post the tracking number... Even worse: I couldn't find it... You were quite suspicious that I might have fooled you and ran away with your money...

Then I found the tracking number but the package was stuck at delivery depots and did not make it to the USA in regular time... That was when emails got fiery... Fortunately the package was delivered a day or two after that and all anger vanished!

Burt, hope you don't mind telling me that little anecdote! It's been what, 8 to 10 years, and long before we connected here at VLJ...

Have a great rest of the day!

Ties

Pilot

Happy it worked out nicely . Congrats for this great jacket.
My 1 Cent input...I dont use postal service (which service BTW? ) anymore, but just DHL Express International, FEDEX, UPS, Chronopost.etc.....As seller and buyer IMHO too risky to work with P.S. Using courier services makes shipping costs much higher, but much faster delivery, and risk is much lower.

Last edited:

Bengoshi

Just for additional info:
This is a hard to find item even in Hungary.
I think the name is "1982 M repülőhajózó" winter jacket with removable liner, not only for MIG pilots, but for all pilots, probably even for air crew members. The recent model is the "2003 M repülőhajózó" jacket with removable liner for cold weather.

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

Just for additional info:
This is a hard to find item even in Hungary.
I think the name is "1982 M repülőhajózó" winter jacket with removable liner, not only for MIG pilots, but for all pilots, probably even for air crew members. The recent model is the "2003 M repülőhajózó" jacket with removable liner for cold weather.

Yeah these Hungarian words/language always bothered me when I have been there for business. Finally after 5 years I was able to talk a bit But only very basic.

Nice jacket btw. Burt - suits you really well

B-Man2

Yeah these Hungarian words/language always bothered me when I have been there for business. Finally after 5 years I was able to talk a bit But only very basic.

Nice jacket btw. Burt - suits you really well
Thanks
Thomas I appreciate your input as always;)
Thanks Bengoshi and welcome to the forum

RB25

Awesome jacket B-Man2 some of the foreign flight jackets I’ve come across in my travels have always caught my eye. This one is exceptional. Glad it got to you