• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint M445 Monarch pictures

bazelot

The jacket looks brand new. It even has the factory paper tag sewn inside the pocket. I pecarded it and everything is still pretty strong on this jacket. It really looks brand new. Never seen a Navy shearling jacket in such great condition.

Mint445031.jpg

Mint445033.jpg

Mint445034.jpg

Mint445035.jpg

Mint445038.jpg

Mint445043.jpg

Mint445044.jpg

Mint445014.jpg

Mint445015.jpg

Mint445016.jpg

Mint445017.jpg

Mint445019.jpg

Mint445024.jpg

Mint445028.jpg

Mint445029.jpg

Mint445045.jpg

Mint445047.jpg

Mint445048.jpg

Mint445049-1.jpg

bazelot

I will wear it sparingly. It is in so much better shape than I expected that I will be afraid to damage it. As this woman so eloquently said, I squeezed, pinched, stretched....and the shearling does not flinch. It's perfect fit so I will ask my better half to take a picture of me wearing it. Too bad the weather here in California is already so warm.

zoomer

Fortunately there is no demand at airshows for winter-clothed naval aviator impressions. So M-445 and -446 should last awhile with good care. Great find, baz.

PS - the -446 trou look a lot like the AAF A-5s but these have patch pockets added. Any other diffs we know about?

bazelot

Do you guys know what is the timeframe for the M-445? I found info on the M-445A and B but not the M-445

hacker

bazelot said:
I will wear it sparingly. It is in so much better shape than I expected that I will be afraid to damage it. As this woman so eloquently said, I squeezed, pinched, stretched....and the shearling does not flinch. It's perfect fit so I will ask my better half to take a picture of me wearing it. Too bad the weather here in California is already so warm.

My own 2cents on it........I have owned many of these jackets over the course of 30 years and now don't keep them anymore. The last one I sold to a friend was an absolute mint, unworn M445a from a decorated Marine F4U pilot that unfortunately was worn a few times after I sold it and sure enough blew out the left shoulder!.....These jackets are just too fragile anymore and are time bomb for tearing no matter how good they look. I would recommend for display use only to play it safe.

Hacker

Roughwear

I agree with Hacker. I have owned several naval fleece jackets, but they are too fragile for wearing these days.

bazelot

It may be the case. I noticed that Navy shearling jackets are more fragile than Irvins or B3s.
Any idea why.
This jacket looks and feels really sturdy but i do not know if I want to pay the price of wearing it and ripping a shoulder.

Roughwear

bazelot said:
It may be the case. I noticed that Navy shearling jackets are more fragile than Irvins or B3s.
Any idea why.
This jacket looks and feels really sturdy but i do not know if I want to pay the price of wearing it and ripping a shoulder.

Breed of sheep/climate/tanning process???

Peter Graham

That's a beauty Tom. I would find it very hard not to wear that jacket. I would also try to think of an excuse to wear the pants. :)

dujardin

bazelot said:
Any idea why.

maybe a stupidity but is there nothing to see with ''salted water'' ????????????????????????????
i remember that when i was into navy, my leather combat shoes became ''matt and dry (cracky)'' if i don't play the shoeshine boy at least one time a week.

who knowssss ???????????????

bye the way Baz, really splendid. you know that navy jackets are my favourites

bye marcel

Roughwear

Yes, I have also heard about the harmful effects of salt water and salt in the air on shearling. Could well be part of the reason why naval shearlings are less robust than B3s and Irvins.

bazelot

Peter Graham said:
That's a beauty Tom. I would find it very hard not to wear that jacket. I would also try to think of an excuse to wear the pants. :)

I wore it last night. It was a bit on the warm side but I could not resist. The warmth of this jacket is incredible!!!!! I have a 90s repro (one of those Avirex ones with the slash pockets on the side) and this M-445's shearling is at least twice as thick. My 90s jacket looks like a bad joke now :)
As far as the pants are concerned Peter, I don't think I will ever come up with a good enough excuse to wear them, especially here here in California so I have to sell them probably as space is becoming an issue in my place and the pressure from above (the wife) is such that I am going to sell a lot of my stuff soon :( :(

Maybe salt had to do something with shearling going bad. I have a lot of M-422's though and the leather is in really really good condition. You can really tell that it was there but the leather is still strong (I even got one with sand in the pockets!!!). I would rather lean towards the dying process and salt protection methods as the number one culprit. I may be wrong though.

Andrew

bazelot said:
Any idea why.

I imagine it has something to do with the thickness of the skin and the tanning process. Perhaps they also shaved the hide to make it more flexible and less bulky. The skin on my early Irvins is very thick and it shows no sign of wearing through but it is bulky, whereas i've had later war Irvins which have had the same blowout problems and the hide on them feels much thinner and sometimes slightly crackly. It could also be the brand of sheep used- the later war fleeces are shaggy and most likely a different breed from the early stuff. Maybe the US shearling breed had something in common with late war Irvin fleeces.

spitfire

The condition of the jacket,helmet and trousers is beyond belief.They,as a set pair, have to be one of the most beautiful looking flying suits i have ever seen.It must be an absolute joy holding and wearing them.

zoomer

bazelot said:
Maybe salt had to do something with shearling going bad. I have a lot of M-422's though and the leather is in really really good condition. You can really tell that it was there but the leather is still strong (I even got one with sand in the pockets!!!). I would rather lean towards the dying process and salt protection methods as the number one culprit. I may be wrong though.
There are also the differences between goatskin and sheepskin. Goat is tougher all around and repels water better than sheep.
The AAC had a lot of trouble finding a workable waterproofing treatment for the B-3 class garments - if they've lasted longer, however, then perhaps BuAer settled on something different that weakened the skins over time (along with shaving them down or any other factors...)
BTW, the Navy did issue some all-goat flightsuits, but they were electrically heated, not fleecelined.

Peter Graham

I am the new owner of this fantastic jacket and it's just as Tom says, nearly mint. This will be my winter wearer. Much as I like my other shearlings, an Irvin and a D-1 they are just not very practical for daily wear due to the lack of pockets. I know some people have reservations about the durability of Navy shearlings but that's a risk I'm prepared to take. If it splits anywhere I'll be pissed off for a while, then get out the needle and thread ! Something Tom didn't mention is that it has a beautiful triple marked blackened Talon zipper.
m4552002.jpg

bazelot

Peter Graham said:
I am the new owner of this fantastic jacket and it's just as Tom says, nearly mint. This will be my winter wearer. Much as I like my other shearlings, an Irvin and a D-1 they are just not very practical for daily wear due to the lack of pockets. I know some people have reservations about the durability of Navy shearlings but that's a risk I'm prepared to take. If it splits anywhere I'll be pissed off for a while, then get out the needle and thread ! Something Tom didn't mention is that it has a beautiful triple marked blackened Talon zipper.

Amazing Peter. fits you perfectly well. It's a shame it was too tight for me around the shoulders. It will come in handy during those cold Irish winters. The Talon zipper is indeed really nice. I love the blackened finish. THe pants have the same zippers as well. I will have to find an excuse to wear them this winter :)