• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint Fried Ostermann M-422a in London

oose

Hi all,

If anyone wants a mint never been worn Fried Ostermann M-422a size 42 (fits like a 40-42) then Beyond Retro at 110-112 Cheshire Street, London E2 6EJ, +44 (0)20 7613 3636 has one, its the best one I've ever seen. Its not a bargin at £300 but its not expensive at that price I just wish I had the funds. :(

It was there 20 mins ago.
yours stu

havocpaul

Oh what did you mention that for...!! Sounds like a real find but I can't get up there 'til Saturday and their website doesn't have the products there yet; bet it'll have been snapped up by then. I might try phoning them for more info. Cheers for the info Stu.
Paul

oose

Good luck, its a beauty all right, just glad it was not my size, as I would have been gutted :cry: I've just moved so no spare cash for a few months, need to build new kitchen etc :cry: Hope its still there I have a feeling this one will not be there long. If anyone does get it drop me a pm or post here.

yours stu

havocpaul

Will try and get there Sat morning, the store looks good on their site so maybe there'll be more good stuff.

oose

Hi, all,

I've decided to take the plunge on this one, got permission from the wife to put some of the DIY money on it. Its the best Ostermann I've seen even the white size label is there crisp and clean. I gave every one half a day for all comers but decided to go for this one 5mins before closing. I feel the dealers will be all over this one come the next few days.

really sorry :?

yours stu

havocpaul

Congrats Stu, you saw it and it deserves to go to a good home not a dealer. I juggled my diary and was going to get up there this afternoon so saves me the trip....should you ever want to sell please give me a nod! Does this place get much in the way of jackets?

johnwayne

Hey Stu
Good find - I work just around the corner from that place and often go there along with the others in the area, sometimes once a week (Ive been after a good 'real' M442a for years) and would have shot around there today just to check the size but would have been really gutted had it been bigger!! G1's trun up regulalry in those shops but more often the late faux/nylon collared variety and sometimes you see the rubbish A2's.
At £300 it s a good buy albeit it shows the owners of such places are no mugs, however having said that, I did write on this site a few months back about an private purchase A2 I just missed out/dithered on. It was at the Thursday market at Spitalfieds, a short walk away from Chershire St, it was only £150 and again not my size hence the hesitation but I reckoned it was worth double that or more so went back the next week and sod's law, he'd sold it.

It does inspire hope that there are still gems to be had so hope you enjoy it and good to know its going to someone who'll apprecate it..

Wayne

johnwayne

Hi All
Stu changed his mind and PM'd me Fri afternoon - shot around there after work. Sure thing its a nice jacket, a contract from around the time it became the G1 as it has the non-descript colour lining (greeny/brown) as opposed to the burgundy satin - poss like that Gary Eastman models his G1 on - its all intact mouton collar is understandbly thin and cuffs might be replacements - thought the leather a bit crisp to the touch but subtle enough,however being a 42 whist it fitted, was as suspected a tad small - as Stu said better a 40 chest wearer so at £300 I decided to give it a swerve!!
There is a ref to one similar in Maquire and Conways American Flight Jackets Navy section - that has the white size tag missing whereas this one is intact -had it been cheaper I may have been tempted and would definitely had it been a 44" - interested if anyone else has taken the plunge???? Stu - did you change your mind?
Thanks again for the heads up anyway

Wayne

Peter Graham

Thinning collar, replaced cuffs, crisp leather. Is this the same mint, unworn jacket that was mentioned at the start of this thread ? :shock:

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
Thinning collar, replaced cuffs, crisp leather. Is this the same mint, unworn jacket that was mentioned at the start of this thread ? :shock:

I was thinking the exact same thing myself. :?

oose

Hi all,

On closer inspection of this jacket, it does have some issues, the leather is fine no scrapes or marks, a little dry but that's probably due to storage. The collar is original and all there but again due to storage I feel that if worn it would deterate fast. Then the jacket becomes a bit of a mystery, I think the Knits and lining have been replaced but a long time ago, in the 50's, it is possible that it was never issued but suffered some damage in storage and was then refurbished by the navy and issued for Korea, as the label is in mint condition and show's no sign of ware at all. So of first impression the jacket in a dark room with no natural light the jacket looks looked great. I only noticed the lining was a different colour when I saw it later the next day. The knits are perfect and are period but not the ones fitted to Ostermann jackets. The jacket has not been worn for a long time as wear would have shown on the collar and label ( It is the only time I have seen the lardge white size label perfect and intact). All in all its still a great jacket, but on closer inspection you start to see inconsistances. Having never handled a Ostermann before I was not up to speed on its contractual nuance, but I live and learn and won't get carried away again. The jacket had only just come and is still one of the best M-422a I've seen first hand. I keep looking maybe there is another one out there! :oops:

I bought some Levis 1917 jeans instead :D

yours stu