• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Military vehicles?

Micawber

I came within a gnats cock of buying an MWR before going for the present MB. I'd like one at some point.

I'll have to dig into other HD's and prints for photos of previous jalopies.

flyincowboy

just this Dodge power ram w350 crew cab FORMER AIRFORCE TRUCK
20210716_112650.jpg

Pa12

I used to own this 1944 Bedford MWR radio truck, fully kitted out with No.19 radio set, eventually sold it as it wasn't getting used enough, it did 10 mpg and top speed 40 mph, almost got tail gated a couple of times by trucks, as drivers not expecting a vehicle to travel at that speed on the modern highway, even had orange beacon and big warning sign on the back.
View attachment 81562
My Land Rover is perfect for tailgaters. I put in the 200tdi diesel without the turbo. Have the fuel turned back as far as it will go but it’s still over fuelled if you tromp it to the floor. So that’s what I do when someone tailgates. They disappear in a cloud of black smoke. Then they back off.

leper-colony

I used to own this 1944 Bedford MWR radio truck, fully kitted out with No.19 radio set, eventually sold it as it wasn't getting used enough, it did 10 mpg and top speed 40 mph, almost got tail gated a couple of times by trucks, as drivers not expecting a vehicle to travel at that speed on the modern highway, even had orange beacon and big warning sign on the back.
View attachment 81562
Great vehicle! Nice 14ft ridge tent.

Micawber

I'll add photos as and when or if I come across them..

Memphis Belle & Dauntless Dotty pilot Bob Morgan [middle] with one of my previous Jeeps that I used to ferry them out on what was the airfield at Bassingbourn which was home to the 91st BG [H]. There is a story behind this image and others that appeared in the press and on tv at the time but I won't bore with the details, which I may have related on here before anyway.

BM & MB.jpg

MauldinFan

I've seen that shot before.
As a life member of the 91st BG association, I'd love to be able to visit the runway or Tower at Bassingbourn and the idea of driving my own Jeep around would be right up there with driving along Omaha Beach with it. But as I'm probably more than 3500 miles west of either, it's never gonna happen.

Micawber

I've seen that shot before.
As a life member of the 91st BG association, I'd love to be able to visit the runway or Tower at Bassingbourn and the idea of driving my own Jeep around would be right up there with driving along Omaha Beach with it. But as I'm probably more than 3500 miles west of either, it's never gonna happen.
As you know I have some history with both the 91st BGMA and Bassingbourn, particularly the old control tower. Hosting so very many veterans and families [both USAAF, RAF and the occasional Commonwealth and Luftwaffe] was always a fantastic experience. Driving the Jeep around the place was always memorable :)

Thomas Koehle

That was my BMW R75 wannbe repop on basis of a chinese manufactured CJ750 - gave her 16" rims like the big bimmers had in WW2 and a late war paintjob

was a blast to ride with the sidecar but she was sitting in my garage for years so she had to go

vH3UzhX.jpg

4JCYt8B.jpg

also owned an ex french army hotchkiss jeep - will try to find some pics

and since i had the position of "Head of Quality" for the Mercedes G-Wagon i had plenty of opportuntites to testdrive the G-Wagon Army versions for Australia and Sweden

9sEtvGz.jpg

aTn82gm.jpg

sAxitE8.jpg

(courtesy G-Wagon pics is the "G-Wagon Forum")

ausreenactor

It's okay to ask the VLJ crew to show you their Willys? ;)

Impressive holdings... but this IS the place to be impressed and to impress others...