• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Military vehicles?

MauldinFan

Just curious, who owns a military vehicle on this forum?
It can be any nation or era.
Mine is a 1944 Willys MB Jeep.
0615191223.jpg

Just ran it today for the first time in far too long, it took some messing around with the points, new plugs and a few other little things...
20220703_134851.jpg

Last edited:

jack31916

Nice jeep you've got there. I've owned a 1942 Willys Jeep for over 38 years but sold it 2 years ago. Sometimes regret it..

blackrat2

I did have a Landrover Wolf and stupidly sold it on…don’t ask why but do I wish I had kept it

Attachments

• 9909B2A4-0AC0-4BC6-8BBF-275C8392B5BF.jpeg
    9909B2A4-0AC0-4BC6-8BBF-275C8392B5BF.jpeg
    889.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 35B1EEBB-885D-47A7-ABE5-BB1B3D31AFAB.jpeg
    35B1EEBB-885D-47A7-ABE5-BB1B3D31AFAB.jpeg
    818.4 KB · Views: 104

Pa12

While mine wasn’t military, they were used in the military. 1960 Land Rover series 2 88. I picked this up from the estate of the original owner in California in 2009. A very wealthy Brit who bought it new for hunting on his ranch. It was pretty rough, but being corrosion free I could see the potential. I think there was more boozing then hunting as the driver door had a shot gun hole in it. I restored in 2010 and for my first Covid project, I swapped out the engine for a 200DI diesel (200tdi with the turbo removed) and installed front disc brakes.
D9F9F6BE-811A-4701-84CE-7B85FF248C89.jpeg
BC689F8A-F996-4EC5-A975-BE722C7D0732.jpeg
38875433-F07B-445C-AE9B-51CD55160CD7.jpeg
CDE102E4-0F8C-4059-8F33-47CCD645A346.jpeg

Micawber

I've previously posted photos of the February 1943 Willys MB I have now elsewhere on VLJ and maybe some of my previous vehicles civvy and military too. This was the last MB I had and eventually sold nearly twenty five years ago. The nickname invariably raised a smile and comment with the innumerable veterans who rode in it :D

NN01.jpg

MauldinFan

I sign wrote the "Numb Nuts" above and toyed with the idea of christening the '43 MB I have "Numb Nuts II" of Numb Nuts x2" but today I finally settled on a very simple bit of stencilling.
Peggy was my Nan's nickname...
View attachment 81554
View attachment 81555
I painted my wife's name to the passenger side of my MB with the same type of stencil.
Her name is Jennette, which is the French spelling of that name (her parents were big on uncommon ways to spell common names). I thought that'd be especially nice to have, as it could be for a GI painting the name of a French gal he met in the ETO.
The especially funny part was my wife never liked the Jeep, but when I told her I was thinking about putting her name on the side, she had a less-then-impressed reaction...
Until some time had passed without her name on the Jeep. She asked why the name wasn't put there. I said, "I thought you told me you didn't care," to which she had her standard response when I have a point, she just tailed off and acted as if she was no longer in a conversation and changed the subject.
Yeah, she cared. She'll never admit it, but it was clear. Her name was added soon afterward.
Oh, people have asked if I'd have the name there if her name wasn't likely found during WW2. I'm honest when I tell them NO, I wouldn't have even offered if she had a more modern name that didn't exist in the 40s.

Pa12

Be sure to duck
I painted my wife's name to the passenger side of my MB with the same type of stencil.
Her name is Jennette, which is the French spelling of that name (her parents were big on uncommon ways to spell common names). I thought that'd be especially nice to have, as it could be for a GI painting the name of a French gal he met in the ETO.
The especially funny part was my wife never liked the Jeep, but when I told her I was thinking about putting her name on the side, she had a less-then-impressed reaction...
Until some time had passed without her name on the Jeep. She asked why the name wasn't put there. I said, "I thought you told me you didn't care," to which she had her standard response when I have a point, she just tailed off and acted as if she was no longer in a conversation and changed the subject.
Yeah, she cared. She'll never admit it, but it was clear. Her name was added soon afterward.
Oh, people have asked if I'd have the name there if her name wasn't likely found during WW2. I'm honest when I tell them NO, I wouldn't have even offered if she had a more modern name that didn't exist in the 40s.

Pa12

Funny, when I bought my Land Rover my wife thought I was nuts. Maybe not a numb nuts, just plain nuts. Her comment was “ it looks like a piece of shit”. Fair enough, it did look rough. But I could see through that and see the solid , rust free slate to work with. Now ,with all the classics I’ve done, past and present, it’s her favourite vehicle. Absolutely loves it.

MauldinFan

Now ,with all the classics I’ve done, past and present, it’s her favourite vehicle. Absolutely loves it.
My wife HATES my Jeep. Not long ago it wasn't running and I vented about maybe selling it just to not have to deal with it. You should have seen her face light up at the very thought of it.
Now it's running again (need to check out why the brakes started pulling to the right on the second trip after getting it running again) I assume she knows I'm not gonna sell it and was just venting out of frustration at the time.
But yeah, she HATES it.

Yockers

I used to own this 1944 Bedford MWR radio truck, fully kitted out with No.19 radio set, eventually sold it as it wasn't getting used enough, it did 10 mpg and top speed 40 mph, almost got tail gated a couple of times by trucks, as drivers not expecting a vehicle to travel at that speed on the modern highway, even had orange beacon and big warning sign on the back.
100_1589.JPG