• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Militaria flippers, a shameless phenomena. Base! base! base!

MaydayWei

Gentlemen,

A little rant, if you would allow me.
I've seen two jackets 'flipped' in the past few days. In my opinion, this practice (although not new) is simply shameless.
Without naming names, I recently saw a '58 Calgeco sold for 500 USD on the Bay just to be reposted back on to eBay for 1500 USD.
And just today, I learned that a certain Gemini space programme related G-1 jacket (worn by a member of the rescue team) is to be flipped.
Bought off the Bay and simply to be added and sold on _____ person's website. Again, probably being held ransom for 2 to 3 times the price.
Even unremarkable items are being flipped! A certain famous militaria site is selling Canadian ECW military fleece jackets (literally recycled polyester with the shittiest little YKKs) for 200 USD!
How infuriating!

What bothers me the most is that these flippers allege and appear to be genuine enthusiasts of our hobby!
Yet, despite this, they continue to indulge in a practice that actively hurts our community by buying up great pieces and inflating their prices exponentially for nothing but personal monetary gain at the cost of the enjoyment of the whole community.
I find this selfish practice to be absolutely abhorrent. To quote Shakespeare, it is base! base! base!

Without saying more, to hell with such flippers! :mad:

Rant over. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Silver Surfer

that's what military dealers do, ie: buy to flip. also, we have all had buyers remorse due purchasing a ______that was misrepresented with shitty pix or faulty measurements, and put the item up for sale in the hopes of recouping our investment, which would include shipping eb, pp fees, etc. point being that in order to even break even, the item would have to be sold for more than paid for. I might add that I have purchased a-2s years ago that are worth at fair value a lot more then I paid, and have sold them at profit. and, yes, there are flippers that couldn't give a rats ass about history, or integrity, etc, and are only in it for the $.

B-Man2

There’s always going to be a few who try to turn a quick buck by flipping . If they have something that’s rare and you’re looking for it to complete or enhance your collection, what can you do about it ? Not much …. You either have to walk away or suck it up and pay his price . Is it fair ? I guess that depends on what side of the sale you’re on.

MaydayWei

I didn’t have my eye on any of the jackets flipped that were mentioned above. Both were size 42s I believe. But I might be wrong.
Just generally annoyed at the practice.
Someone in 42 could’ve truly loved wearing it and truly be glad and proud to own it.
In contrast, you have these unsavory sorts.
Oh well! A shame, but that’s how it is.

busdrivermike

Personally I don’t see the issue, shame or unsavory actions in bidding on a public auction that’s open to generally anyone
And winning said auction with the highest bid, paying for jacket then re-listing the jacket at a higher price.
It not like this person robbed or strong armed the jackets away from someone, they won an auction open to anyone interested
And who was willing to bid and pay what they could afford or thought it was worth.
It’s in my opinion neither good or bad they intend to profit on instead of wearing or displaying the jacket as it’s theirs
To do with as they wish.

MaydayWei

I don’t know why you are so upset
Is not something new.
It’s called capitalism.
There is nothing unsavoury about it

Annoyed? Yes. Upset? No.
Something new? Not at all, you are correct.
Capitalism? Depends on you definition.
Unsavoury? A matter of personal opinion.

It's just a damned pity that the spirit of our hobby is subverted by the dollar sign, that's all.

MaydayWei

@busdrivermike @Silver Surfer
100% true. Their money, their's to do as they wish.
It's just a damned shame that a quick buck is the foremost thought of some in our community. Instead of simply enjoying and appreciating the kit for what it is and sharing the passion we all have for jackets.
A damned shame indeed.

Smithy

You really can't get annoyed about this because this happens with everything: classic cars; art; stamps; coins; antiques; etc.

It's part of the buying and selling world of anything that is either collectible and/or desirable.

You have to remember that "our hobby" isn't driven by sentimentality, like everything else in the world where you are buying and selling, it's based on a margin and supply and demand.

I'm not going to get into arguing whether this is right or wrong but just as the sky is blue that's just how it is and it's not worth getting annoyed about it because the world of selling and buying isn't going to change just like the colour of the sky isn't ;)

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Well, since Officer Cheapo pointed the finger at me, I guess I'll have to chime in.

It is just a matter of supply and demand. This happens in every arena and perhaps we all do it, sometimes even unconsciously.

For example:
Let's say you find an original and minty A-1 jacket, size 34 (yes, super small) for sale at your local pawn shop. They are asking 200 $us., because the jacket didn't even have a tag and they had no idea what it was, but it looked cool.
Most of us here will buy it, regardless if it fits or not, because it is the freaking A-1 and you need one in your collection!!!!!! Perhaps the person who left it at the pawn shop sold it for 35 $us. and the pawn shop makes 165 $us. Guess, what! That jacket costed 7 bucks 92 years ago!!
Now, you had it for a time and then you need to sell it for any reason. (Buy another GW, pay the rent, or just to take your girlfriend to Mexico for vacays)

The question is:
Are you going to sell it for the same 300$us. or are you going to post it on ebay knowing that you might get 5k to 10k?
You can answer it mentally.

Now, here we have the real example from the very same fella that loves to put the finger at everyone but does the same thing. Certainly, the numbers are different but the game is the same.
Is he a capitalist monster? No, he is just another guy trying his luck small time. Sorry, no pun intended mate... ;)
624EAFC5-539E-4CE6-B227-3602D1EFC1F6.jpeg

B783FC56-F78D-48BA-B981-2EF4B060225E.jpeg

Last edited:

MaydayWei

Gentlemen,

If you would, please note my particular choice of words. specifically, with reference to Militaria flippers.

There is an important distinction between a flipper, a dealer, and a collector.

A collector, like @Jorgeenriqueaguilera, collects.
This means that he buys these pieces for the primary purpose of and with the intent of enriching his collection.
He may sell jackets on if he so wishes (to fund other jackets, or to go to Mexico), but this is not the primary or core intent or the spirit behind his purchasing.

A dealer buys purely with the spirit and intent of making a profit. They buy low and sell high, but they are clear, upfront, and open about it.

A flipper, in contrast, professes to act in the spirit or with the intent of preserving history blah, blah, blah. But really buys certain pieces solely with the aim of resale. (Re the Gemini G1 Jacket and its flipper)
The disconnect between their professed intent and their actions are what (in my personal opinion) makes flippers morally reprehensible.
They act with the active intent to self-profit first and foremost (like a dealer), but argue that they are protecting and preserving history (like a collector); but they are really acting only to serve their own monetary self-interest from the beginning.

Now, there is nothing wrong with acting for monetary/personal gain! But if you're going to do so, at least have the decency to be upfront about it!

Clark J

You think flipping a few jackets is BAD then it’s obvious you’re not a watch guy . Just take a look at what is happening in the world of Rolex . If you’re lucky enough to find a ceramic stainless steel Daytona with a MSRP of just under 14 grand they’re sell on the gray market for almost 3xs MSRP !!!! What would you do ? Flip it hell yes !!

MaydayWei

You think flipping a few jackets is BAD then it’s obvious you’re not a watch guy . Just take a look at what is happening in the world of Rolex . If you’re lucky enough to find a ceramic stainless steel Daytona with a MSRP of just under 14 grand they’re sell on the gray market for almost 3xs MSRP !!!! What would you do ? Flip it hell yes !!

I am a watch guy, funnily enough.
And its for that exact reason that a Rolex AD will never sell you a Daytona at MSRP.
Rolex ADs don't appreciate you grey market lot ;)