• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mighty Eighth : Who will make the jackets?

A

Anonymous

Stony said:
I also thought that "Master of the Air" was a really good book. I just hope the miniseries does it justice. I would also hope that they will interview vets from the conflict as in the previous two series. I think it adds so much to hear "what it was really like" from the people that were there.
I talked to Jody Kelly who is an administrator for the 91st Bomb Group, and mentioned the film. She had just heard a couple of days earlier about the project, and said she would keep in touch if the production company contacted them. We talked about a pilot Ted Skawienski, who flew the 100th mission of the Nine-o-Nine, Ted is as lucid as you or I at the age of 92. He flew 96 missions between the CBI, and ETO theaters, and had never lost a crew man. the last mission he flew, and the last casualty of the 91st BG, the ball turret gunner was shot out of the plane by an ME-262. Yes, I would hope they do a similar format as Band of Brothers, this guy would be perfect.

MikeyB-17

Peter Graham said:
Great news. I can't wait. One drawback is that a lot of the flying sequences will have to be CGI and it just doesn't cut it. Compare the B-17 sequences in Red Tails to the start of Catch 22. No contest.

Couldn't agree more-I'm delighted to hear about this, but I hope we don't get too many Pearl Harbour style CG flying sequences.

TOMG1401

Been waiting for this for years, excellent bok, but mainly because Speilbergs father flew with the Eighth. Of course there will be massive CGI, where will they get the number of planes ours and luftwaffe needed to advance the storyline not to mention the intricate aerial battle scenes, please think clearly, this is 2013........ anyone remember The Battle of Britiain, don't want to see that again. Best hope is to tell the story from both sides, 1942 - 1945

havocpaul

I do remember 'The Battle of Britain' and still think the dogfights are superb and beat cgi any day.Obviously many directors still feel the same as many scenes and deleted scenes have subsequently appeared in other productions. Same with 'Tora, Tora, Tora' compared with the awful 'Pearl Harbor' sequences.

flyboy

TOMG1401 said:
........ anyone remember The Battle of Britiain, don't want to see that again. Best hope is to tell the story from both sides, 1942 - 1945

:eek: :eek: :eek: Battle of Britain had the best dogfights ever made in a movie. IMO. No CGI can match the real thing.
Which of course is impossible to do in our day and time. How many B17's are left flying? Not to mention ME109s and ME266s.
So we'll just have to live with CGI - and hope they do a decent job and not turn too god damn fast. And not make it too "clean"
- then we can always watch BoB afterwards - just to get the real feeling.

havocpaul

flyboy said:
TOMG1401 said:
........ anyone remember The Battle of Britiain, don't want to see that again. Best hope is to tell the story from both sides, 1942 - 1945

:eek: :eek: :eek: Battle of Britain had the best dogfights ever made in a movie. IMO. No CGI can match the real thing.
Which of course is impossible to do in our day and time. How many B17's are left flying? Not to mention ME109s and ME266s.
So we'll just have to live with CGI - and hope they do a decent job and not turn too god damn fast. And not make it too "clean"
- then we can always watch BoB afterwards - just to get the real feeling.

Well said! :)

MikeyB-17

Give me The Battle Of Britain over any modern CGI simulation any day of the week. CGI is marvellous, and some amazing films have been produced using it, but I haven't seen an aviation film yet where the CGI flying sequences were convincing. They can do wonders with it, but they don't seem to have got the hang of aviation scenes, 2013 or not. Hopefully this series will be an improvement.

flyboy

Saw the trailer to RED TAILS.
Decided not see the movie jus because of that. Too much - and too smart - CGI. (And a lousy dialogue.)
So sorry - back to the jackets. ;)

Jeff M

flyboy said:
Saw the trailer to RED TAILS.
Decided not see the movie jus because of that. Too much - and too smart - CGI. (And a lousy dialogue.)
So sorry - back to the jackets. ;)

No no...that's quite all right.
When I saw the scene in the trailer where the P51 goes into a short steep climb, flips over (I guess it stalled immediately then regained power?) and shot down the German that killed the movie for me.
I agree. Such a shame ! Could have been a good movie.

A

Anonymous

John Lever said:
Bet it gets made in the UK.
Maybe California, and the U.K. there are some private airports like Chino that can be totally closed off, and several B-17's in the the area. The Nine-o-Nine, and the Memphis Bell, of the 91st, and one sitting over at John Wayne airport. Would be an intersesting scene just panning around a runway and seeing the Bell. I know you guys have done a great job restoring and maintaining sites.

havocpaul

I have fond memories of spending a couple of days at Duxford in 1989 when they started filming for 'Memphis Belle', five B-17's flying and a stunning flightline...there are some great photos here:
http://www.duxford-update.info/memphis-belle/index.htm
(Worth also a look at the many photos from several decades of Duxford, some amazing shots of aircraft landing before becoming part of the Duxford collection..check out the B-29 landing!)
Shame Memphis Belle ended up as an average film, and don't go there with the awful flight jackets!

TOMG1401

The Battle of Britain were models flying on wires being blown up by firecrackers, I have just seen this film again for the fifth time in so many months, sorry to say with all the aircraft needed to REALLY tell the story CGI is a must

flyboy

As far as I am informed - the Stukas were models - the rest were real. Except the ones they blew up, of course!

havocpaul

TOMG1401 said:
The Battle of Britain were models flying on wires being blown up by firecrackers, I have just seen this film again for the fifth time in so many months, sorry to say with all the aircraft needed to REALLY tell the story CGI is a must
Not sure what you're watching then!!? Yes, the Stukas were models after an attempt to adapt several aircraft to their configuration failed (not easy with those wings!) and a few other models where aircraft were destroyed but surely you can appreciate the actual dogfights especially the end sequences? And for 1968/9 to produce that quality and bring together so many authentic aircraft ('thank you' Spanish Air Force!) it was a landmark in aviation films IMO. But yes, with what is available today CGI will have to be used for this film sadly, hopefully less computer game and more realistic to what WW2 aircraft could actually do.

flyboy

Back in 1965 the producers of battle of Britain employed 100 different 1940 period, airworthy aircrafts. It was called "the 35th largest air force in the world".
And I don't think they were just standing on the ground. ;)