• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maybe it's time for a YOSSARIAN themed A-2?

ties70

I think I am going to make me a "Catch-22" inspired A-2.

I haven't seen the mini series, yet, so I will stick to the movie design. My "Patch-22" is closer to that, with some adjustments: The canvas was replaced by leather, done in the theatre-correct "incised" style.

The girl is still very "folk art-ish", with a little more details. Just have to make me a stenciled YOSSARIAN name tag and I am good to go:

Best regards,

Ties

ties70

Brett,

the leather is....really soft, thick, old, and I have no idea what it is. I got it from my local leather wholesale store. When I bought it (roughly ten years ago) they told me that this specific sample had been in the shop "forever". Their best guess was seal...but definitely something, you can't get any longer.

Paint is standard acrylics, heavily diluted. The design was cut with an swivel knife.

BIP,

the jacket is one of these "cheap looking, totally unauthentic, child-labored A-2s of that shady oriental origin"... at least that is what people say who never post any pictures of their own stuff.

Just kidding:
It's my first FS A-2 in the thin and cheaper goat, before FS turned to the premium goatskins.

Ties

Bombing IP

HI ties Ilike the jacket it looks great .Re the patches you hit the design right on the mark ,what I mean is the original Catch 22 jacket patches were different from the official squadron patches . The pictures say it below .

s-l1600 (4).jpg

Above the official approved patch .
best picture.jpg

Catch 22 film patch notice the bolt of lightning and which hand it is in.

0409007_3-231x300.jpg

Frank G Tallman one of the pilots and owner of the company who rounded up the 18 planes for the first Catch 22 . His company Tallmantz Aviation California he also flew aircraft in the film and was the aviation advisor for the film . His partner Paul Mantz was killed making the film Flight of the Phoenix starring James Stewart 1965 .

BIP

Last edited:

Officer Dibley

Beautiful patch. Alas i’d not be allowed to wear it at work. The USAF is very PC nowadays. As is pretty much every workplace. Always someone looking to be offended....

ties70

Beautiful patch. Alas i’d not be allowed to wear it at work. The USAF is very PC nowadays. As is pretty much every workplace. Always someone looking to be offended....

It is probably not only the USAF... They seem to have changed the squadron patch for the new Yossarian series to a more PC version, with a girl wearing a bathing suit..