• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Martin Lane G-1

navairfan

My latest jacket acquisition is this Martin Lane G-1, size 42R . I replaced the cuffs and waistband, but otherwise this jacket is in outstanding condition. Does the info on the tag mean this is a 1969 C series jacket? Any guidance on how to read tag info is appreciated!

Martin Lane G-1 label.jpg

Martin Lane G-1.jpg

B-Man2

Nice find ! Yes the contract year is 1969 making your jacket a Viet Nam era USN issued G1.
They are very much in demand and a great jacket that will hold its value. If you don’t mind me asking who changed out the knits for you? Was it a company or an individual we might know of here on the forum?
BTW they jacket fits you perfectly and looks great on you.

navairfan

Thanks, B-man! It's my sixth G-1, and by far my favorite. I had the knits replaced by a local seamstress, and she did an amazing job. She used the existing holes in the leather to attach the cuffs!

Marv

Looks sweet, I have a 1968 Martin Lane which is labelled as a size 46" but actually fits more like a trim size 44", how is the sizing on yours ?

Lorenzo_l

Hi Navairfan,

Your G-1 is actually a D-series jacket. The series is denoted by the letter before the (WEP), (WP) or (AS) in the label. The fiscal year of manufacture can be gleaned in some contracts by the two digits after "DSA 100-". In your jacket's case, it was manufactured in fiscal year 1969. There is a very useful thread in this forum with most, if not all, G-1 contracts: http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/g-1-contracts.6533/
Nice jacket, btw, and a good fit too. Wear it in good health!

navairfan

Looks sweet, I have a 1968 Martin Lane which is labelled as a size 46" but actually fits more like a trim size 44", how is the sizing on yours ?
Hi, Paul - I usually wear a 42R, and the jacket fits perfectly. Especially since I've lost 25 lbs!

Brent

Good looking jacket and nice fit. What other G-1s are in your collection?

Regards,

navairfan

Hi Navairfan,

Your G-1 is actually a D-series jacket. The series is denoted by the letter before the (WEP), (WP) or (AS) in the label. The fiscal year of manufacture can be gleaned in some contracts by the two digits after "DSA 100-". In your jacket's case, it was manufactured in fiscal year 1969. There is a very useful thread in this forum with most, if not all, G-1 contracts: http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/g-1-contracts.6533/
Nice jacket, btw, and a good fit too. Wear it in good health!

Thanks for the information, Lorenzol! I'll be saving that link for sure.

navairfan

Cooper G-1 p5.jpg
IMG_2394.JPG
IMG_2389.JPG
tag.jpg
IMG_2389.JPG
Good looking jacket and nice fit. What other G-1s are in your collection?

Regards,

Hi, Brent - Besides the 1969 D-series Martin Lane, I have a 1970 D-series Brill Bros., and early '80's Brill Bros. pulled for commercial sale, an early '80's Ralph Edwards (tag is so worn I can't fully read it), A civilian-issue Cooper, and a Flight Apparel Industries reproduction. Can you help with the dates of manufacture on these jackets?
IMG_2386.JPG
tag.jpg
. The Cooper and Flight Apparel Industries jackets date from the early to mid-'80's, to, I believe.

Last edited:

blackrat2

I think also there was a good G-1 site that I stumbled upon ages ago
Roger Moore or something along those lines, anyone that recalls it please chip in

Brent

Moore's site is still down. I never could get the archive search to work. I do have some of the manufacturers and dates saved on my laptop. I'll try to put them up soon.

Regards,

Greg Gale

I just bought a ‘69 Martin Lane. I always wanted a late 60s G1 in good condition. It needs a knit replacement then it’s good to go. The size is 42, should be ok, I’ve heard they run small anyway. The only problem is that I won’t be in the same zip code with it for another 6 months, while I’m living in Bali.

Oh well, I guess some of my jackets will go up for sale once I get home :)

Flightengineer

I just bought a ‘69 Martin Lane. I always wanted a late 60s G1 in good condition. It needs a knit replacement then it’s good to go. The size is 42, should be ok, I’ve heard they run small anyway. The only problem is that I won’t be in the same zip code with it for another 6 months, while I’m living in Bali.

Oh well, I guess some of my jackets will go up for sale once I get home :)

Congrats on your purchase. It will not be too big for you for sure. The second good news is that you didn't move to live in a paradise for surfers forever and still want come back home :)

B-Man2

Having lived in a few different places some might call paradise, I know exactly how you feel. It may be paradise for some but no matter how beautiful it is, after a while you get island fever and you just need to get off of it for a while, back the place that you identify with and back to your stuff.

silvio76

View attachment 5760 View attachment 5759 View attachment 5758 View attachment 5757 View attachment 5758

Hi, Brent - Besides the 1969 D-series Martin Lane, I have a 1970 D-series Brill Bros., and early '80's Brill Bros. pulled for commercial sale, an early '80's Ralph Edwards (tag is so worn I can't fully read it), A civilian-issue Cooper, and a Flight Apparel Industries reproduction. Can you help with the dates of manufacture on these jackets?View attachment 5756 View attachment 5757 . The Cooper and Flight Apparel Industries jackets date from the early to mid-'80's, to, I believe.
Brill bros., fiscal year 1970, both Ralph Edwsrds, fiscal year 1984, Cooper sportswear, late 1990's, second Brill bros.probably civilian version, Flight apparel industres, civilian version.

B-Man2

Greg
Nice condition!! Can you tell us where you found it or a bit about the history, if you know about it?

Greg Gale

Got to try on my '69 Martin Lane. Fits like it was tailor made. Amazing. Great condition too. I just have to replace the knits which are torn. I already have the Mash ones, I just need to find a seamstress still working.