• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marlon Brando's Wild One jacket, revisited

regius

I believe there is a thread either on this forum or the lounge with the same title, but I can't find it. So here it is again. I am posting because I have interested new insight from an ebay enthusiast, who doesn't participate on forums, but I thought it's interesting so I'm sharing here.

It is a given that the maker of the Brando movie jacket is unknown, Schott claims it's theirs but in fact, it is debatable.

The friend on ebay gave an extensive list of "abberations" that lead him to believe it is made by a Florida police uniform company called Lavigne, although I could not find anything leather related to this name except the pop singer from Canada. I watched the movie again and verified what he said that
1. the lining has been removed on the movie jacket, in the scenes where Brando had the jacket open, you can indeed see the white pocket showing.
2. the Scoville paper clip front zipper, I also have never seen a Schott, from their 100th year book or in life, featuring this zipper
3. the cuff zipper, it's long and situated on the side, not on the underside
4. the shape of the kidney panel, it's a straight hem with an invertedly curved upper edge, Perfectos have always been a slightly dipped lower edge
5. the lapel, too broad, too long, wind flap too wide, and fold at a mid-torso position instead of the narrow wind flap and small triangle lapel on the top, best illustration is the Ramone's jackets, say, compared to the Terminator lapel or the Langlitz lapel
6. the male snap used to snap the lapels to, the movie jacket uses a ring/pole snap, whereas 99% Schott jacket use two-prong snap. I only see the more common pole snap on a prototype jacket, Schott has the machine that can apply the two-prong so there is no reason to switch for the movie sake.
7. the two belt loops, too wide, and they are folded on both sides, but the Perfectos are narrow belt loop, fold in half in the middle.

Who

This is not new. The Schott version of movie history has been contradicted before both on FL and here some years back. Don't know where the threads are but might be fun for someone with patience to find them.