• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Man is it ever quiet around here . . . .

Now granted, that's partially my fault but I'm more of a USGI 1911 and military watch collector who just shows up here occasionally for jacket advice. Speaking of which, can I wash a Nomex CWU-46/P? May on the gentle cycle with Woolite and hang dry?
Thanks guys.
Kindest Regards,
Tom

Silver Surfer

as john wayne would have it, "quiet out there, too quiet". yup, machine wash on gentle cycle, warm-cold. those jacs are designed to take more abuse then that.

Thanks SS. I'll try to come around and contribute a little more often as Fall approaches. Not much need for jackets right now down here in the deep south. As a matter of fact, our seasons are typically Summer, followed by a six week rainy season and back to Summer again.
Tom

Rutger

Drycleaning only is what the tag says iirc.
Had that done once; I'll never do that again, as the elastic band in the back (which you normally never feel as being there, yet is functional) shrunk considerably which made its presence very obvious from then on, and I never wore that one again.

If y're talking about a CWU-45, I don't know what happens to the filling if water washed, if it's a CWU-36 there shouldn't be a problem.

unclegrumpy

Older style washing machines with an agitator are a lot harder on things than the newer front loaders are. When in doubt, I always carefully wash things in the bathtub, and then lay them flat to dry on towels in the shade....not the sun.

OK guys - here's a quick update on the CWU. I washed it in a regular old washing machine on the gentle cycle (cool water) using Woolite. Took it outside and gave it a final rinsing inside and out using the garden hose to make sure all the detergent residue was gone. Air dried it turned inside out to be sure the lining was dry (this was the cold weather version). It turned out just fine. On a side note, I removed all of the velcro patches before washing and the stitch holes diminished considerably during the washing and drying process. I went over the spots where patches were removed with a hot steam iron over a damp cloth and the stitch holes virtually disappeared. Thanks for all of your input.
Kindest regards,
Tom

Members online

Latest posts